in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-09-2009 1:43 AM by Peter. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-06-2009 10:50 AM

• Piaf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-08-2007
    • Victoria, British Columbia
    • Posts 409
    • Founder

8002 with cartoon-like sounds!

I have a thoroughly restored Beogram 8002 with a newly acquired MMC2 cartridge that has demonstrated outstanding sound quality…. until recently.

I put on a new (sealed) record and noted that the highs seemed a bit artificial, but nothing worthy of attention. However in-between tracks there is a significant audible noise, something I compare (for lack of a better way to communicate this odd sound) to the soundtrack of a children’s cartoon where a automobile is breaking down….. lots of mechanical crunching with the colorful addition of 20 ping pong balls being shaken in a plastic container.

Yes, I know this is a very odd description, but so is the sound and it is loud.

I was so surprised by the sound, thinking maybe the new record was a really bad pressing, that I tried it on my 8000….. it is not the record.

Any idea as to what maybe the problem?

Jeff

• 11-06-2009 11:25 AM In reply to

Re: 8002 with cartoon-like sounds!

Try a record you have listened to before with this cartridge - has the sound changed? I would have a look at the stylus with a microscope if possible.

• 11-07-2009 12:56 AM In reply to

• Piaf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-08-2007
    • Posts 409
    • Founder

Hi Peter,

I was thinking that somehow (nothing has changed, but….) the tonearm was tracking too light.

I have acquired a set of jeweler’s loupes and one is 30X which should give me a pretty clear view of the stylus. (Purchased for this very reason.)

I will try another record, but my “Frankenstein” Beogram 8000 with is aging MMC6000 played the record beautifully. Of course a worn 6000 is going to be much more forgiving than a MMC2.

I will also try the “offending” record on my much lauded Beogram 4000 and see the results.

Jeff

• 11-07-2009 1:27 AM In reply to

• Piaf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-08-2007
    • Posts 409
    • Founder

Peter,

I tried E. Power Biggs playing Bach and although the cartoon sounds are less obvious, they are still there in-between passages.

I am trying hard to come up with a comparison sound to give you a proper idea of what I am experiencing, but it is nearly impossible.

The best I can come up with is a grump, grump, grump in quick succession. It sounds extremely mechanical, like a mechanism lacking lubrication.

Also, as best I can determine, the musical passages sound staccato, that is to say the notes cut off before expected.

Still, the overall sound quality is not too bad, just odd. Unsure

Jeff

• 11-07-2009 2:27 AM In reply to

I suppose it could be the the sound of the arm motor moving the arm - mine really is silent . The 8000 series are rather more difficult to test in my experience as you can run a 4000 with no panels on and easily identify where noises come from.

• 11-08-2009 12:12 AM In reply to

• Piaf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-08-2007
    • Posts 409
    • Founder

My B&O friend and advisor from California said the following:

“First, as you still have the MMC3, put that in, increase the stylus pressure by .5 gram and listen.  if it's now clean, then you have internal problems in the MMC2 such as corrosion...if the odd extra sounds persist with the MMC3, you may have a dirty connection, such as the switch that cuts off signals from the cartridge during on/off cycling.”

Does this make any sense to you?

I have time tomorrow on my day off to look into things, but require direction.

Many thanks, as always!

Jeff

• 11-08-2009 2:41 AM In reply to

Never heard of corrosion in the cartridge. I would certainly try another cartridge though.

• 11-08-2009 11:22 PM In reply to

• Piaf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-08-2007
    • Posts 409
    • Founder

Hi Peter,

I tried the MMC3 and it played the “offending” record beautifully, if not with the brightness formally associated with the MMC2.

So we can be certain that it is not my refurbished Beogram 8002 that is at fault.

I then examined both cartridges under 30X magnification and found that the shaft of the MMC2 is slightly bent.

Play after play switching from the MMC2 to the MMC3 and the mechanical crunching noises only occur with the MMC2.

Well at least it is NOT the Beogram 8002.

Now the question that begs asking is how did this occur? I mean this MMC2 played records with such magnificence. Then with a single play of a new record (not cleaned) the mechanical sounds appeared and the high end was distorted.

Jeff

• 11-09-2009 12:02 AM In reply to

• Piaf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-08-2007
    • Posts 409
    • Founder

Hi Peter,

Problem solved!

The sound was driving me crazy, loud, mechanical, popping and crunching. Then it occurred to me that the sound was also like dragging something over a metal shaft….. and the light went on.

It was a scrap of debris right where the shaft met the metal plate covering the suspension.  Once removed, the problem was solved.

Jeff

• 11-09-2009 1:43 AM In reply to

Very pleased you have found a fixable problem! Smile

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)