in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-06-2009 10:21 AM by saf. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-05-2009 2:44 PM

Request for PIN code leads to B&O theft conviction

The lack of a PIN to activate a stolen B&O system caused the thief to ring B&O to ask for the code..[link]....... and led to his conviction.

[I've read that the  PIN protection has not been included on the BV10!]

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 11-05-2009 3:02 PM In reply to

Re: Request for PIN code leads to B&O theft conviction

Yes -  thumbs up

+1 for the good guys!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 11-05-2009 3:11 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Graham is correct in his hearing that the BV10 is not PIN Code protected.

I don't quite understand PIN coding a BV9, which takes three elephants and a silverback male to move six inches - yet the superlight BV8 and BV10 are blissfully free of any devices that could foil a thief.

Not sure if this is hearsay or fact, and i'm sure someone will correct me - but i heard that B&O wouldn't release the PIN code technology to the manufacturer of the BV8 components (for fear of it being stolen i assume?), and as the BV10 is a BV8 chassis it followed suit.

Lee

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 11-06-2009 2:50 AM In reply to

• saf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 458
    • Founder

9 LEE:
    Not sure if this is hearsay or fact, and i'm sure someone will correct me - but i heard that B&O wouldn't release the PIN code technology to the manufacturer of the BV8 components (for fear of it being stolen i assume?), and as the BV10 is a BV8 chassis it followed suit.

I hope it's a hearsay because it sounds like a rather poor argument why not to include/improve such a feature. IMO the PIN protection is a very good idea no matter the physical properties of the item to be protected. Then again, the world is full of super advanced criminals and maybe B&O knows more about the PIN code tech limits/prospects? One way or the other I think possibility to protect one's B&O items made them even more distinguished ... 

• 11-06-2009 3:11 AM In reply to

I think there has been a policy change here.

Either it is seen as not practical anymore, costs too much to install or to maintain or whatever...

Perhaps too many Mastercodes were being issued and undermined the value of the PIN.

So the BV10, BV8 and BS/BM5 are not PIN coded. Looks like a trend.

10%

• 11-06-2009 3:20 AM In reply to

Even my old Avant's Panasonic Freeview box has PIN code protection........ as I was reminded recently after using the 'Factory Reset' re-tuning option. These boxes are very small and were not particularly expensive when they came out, so it makes me think that the PIN technology can't be too expensive. Maybe no space for even the smallest extra module in some models.... . assuming it isn't just done with software?

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 11-06-2009 4:15 AM In reply to

We are the B&O customers.

Do we ask B&O for PIN when we are interested in buying a new product? Give B&O your feed back what is holding you back in buying! Not having PIN holds me back in buying the fabulous BeoLab 9.

The B&O PIN code is a synchronisation process between several components in the B&O product a technician told me several times. This is complex and demands specific specs.

B&O more and more use complete components from other manufacturers and that has the effect PIN is less used in recent product is my observation. Not developing PIN in products speeds up the development process in order to deliver to us the customers the product in time. See all the “B&O being behind in time” discussions we have here on BeoWorld compared to the competition technological steps.

BV10 LCD with LED and 200Hz is a fine example being more in time compared to the competition!

When a BeoLab 5 part is renewed the technician has an extensive hardware ordering process and it takes him a lot of effort to get the BeoLab 5 operational again because of the PIN technology!

Regards, Robert

• 11-06-2009 9:10 AM In reply to

It's pretty obvious that the pin system created a lot of problems for B&O.

Mounting databases to keep track of each item's location, owner and service dealers is a loosing battle to start with I'm afraid and never mind the hassle, time and phone calls needed if a component needs to be changed...... 

I am aware theft is an issue with B&O equipment, but will happen pin coded or not !!! That's why we all pay insurance in the first place.

• 11-06-2009 10:21 AM In reply to

• saf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 458
    • Founder

cooldude:
    I am aware theft is an issue with B&O equipment, but will happen pin coded or not !!!

Perhaps, one could put one more obstacle in front of an (uninformed) thief by placing a sign on your B&O saying 'Don't bother to take this with you: it's heavy, its ownership registered and has a PIN code protection system - if you don't believe try to switch it on (the remote is on the coffee table)'.

Then again, the frustrated thief might smash it on the spot or return another day to put a gun on your forhead and ask for for the PIN - depending on your neighborhood's specifics ... Big Smile

Edit: Almost everyboby has internet on his mobile so the sign I mentioned could include the link to this (vikinger's) thread on Beoworld, too.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)