in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-10-2009 9:54 AM by RedGrant. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-04-2009 1:02 AM

Linear tracking arm in regarding LP durability..............

This is a very critical issue for me.  Since my vintage LP collections are pretty rare, and they don't make them anymore, and unlikely to be reprinted.

I am more concerned about durability of LPs than sonic quality per se, since I plan on using LPs as the "Master" source to record on cassettes and r2r later on for playback day to day.

I read that the linear tracking arm of the beogram wears out the LP less than radial arms.  Is this verified by those with beogram?

And if so, then which beogram model would you recommend for this purpose?

• 11-10-2009 12:09 AM In reply to

• Piaf
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-08-2007
    • Victoria, British Columbia
    • Posts 409
    • Founder

Re: Linear tracking arm in regarding LP durability..............

Since I have managed to convince you to set aside your quest for a Beogram 4000, unquestionably the BEST of this series, I wholeheartedly recommend a Beogram 4002 or 4004. Both are “cut-down” versions of the iconic original, but well worth you time and investment.

The look is similar and the sound quality is in the same ballpark. Plus the tracking force is much the same. Added to this the 4002 and 4004 were made for the North American market and will come in 110v as opposed to the 220v of the Beogram 4000. (Save the Netherlands.)

Buy the best one you can find, NOT the cheapest, as a cheap Beogram is anything but!

Jeff

• 11-10-2009 1:05 AM In reply to

Thanks for your input.

• 11-10-2009 1:43 AM In reply to

I don't think there is much in it between radial and tangential decks. The important factor is the cartridge. You need a cartridge with no wear which tracks at a low weight with a small Effective Tip Mass. A top line MMC cartridge meets this requirement.

• 11-10-2009 4:50 AM In reply to

Peter :

I don't think there is much in it between radial and tangential decks.

Then exactly what is(are) the advantage(s) of tangential over radial?

• 11-10-2009 8:42 AM In reply to

On a radial deck, the tracking angle is correct at the outside of the record but gradually goes wrong as the middle is reached. This effect is reduced by longer arms and an infintely long arm (!!) would sort it! In effect this means that you are playing slightly different parts of a track. It should be stressed that the difference is small - radial arms will have a maximum misalignement of between 1 to 3 degrees but a tangental arm will be about one tenth of a degree.

The advantages will be better stereo separation especially at the centre of a record, the fact that the arm can be light and very stiff and that you are playing the record as it is cut. The disadvantages are that you have to move the arm carriage avoiding affecting the sound and it is far more expensive than a good radial set up.

There should be no more stylus wear with a radial Beogram than a tangential though.

• 11-10-2009 9:54 AM In reply to

Peter :

There should be no more stylus wear with a radial Beogram than a tangential though.

Well, I'm becoming more enlightened.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)