in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-06-2009 7:58 AM by Emmanuel92. 39 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (40 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-03-2009 3:45 PM

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

BV10 UK Launch - My Report

Well, it's not breaking news as it's been launched before and reported on here - but both Peter and I were fortunate enough to have been invited to the Press Launch of the BeoVision 10 at 'The Quattro Rooms' today.

I've had a splendid day and as ever it was great to see Peter, who caught the 'Red-Eye' early morning flight down from Newcastle to join me in London.

I'll make it brief, adding my own thoughts and leaving the technical bits to Peter. I will try and explain my thoughts in laymans terms!

The Quattro Rooms are a dedicated section of the stunning building occupied by 'West London Audi' - the worlds largest Audi Centre. Set over eight floors - two underground and six above, this building costs a staggering £45,000,000 to build - and once you're there you can really understand.

A magnificent setting for a launch, i'm sure you'll agree..

Please feel free to click on any of the images for a 'full screen' view. This thread may take a while to load, but it's worth it to see the detail !!

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 11-03-2009 4:50 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Re: BV10 UK Launch - My Report

So, we took the dedicated lift to The Quattro Rooms, situated on the higher (top two) floors, which gain you exclusive access to the 'Audi Heritage' display - not available to see if you visit the normal showroom unless you have a prior appointment!

In there, you can see vehicles from the 1930's 'Auto Union' examples right through to race cars and Audi Quattros (of course)!

• 11-03-2009 4:55 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

My particular favourite - the short wheelbase Audi Quattro UR in (i think) Tornado Red. 

• 11-03-2009 4:58 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

..and Peters favourite (alongside the 30's Auto Union) was the Audi 100 Coupe S from the early 1970's.

• 11-03-2009 5:10 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Anyway - we're here for the launch of the BeoVision 10, so - after a really good chat to Lars Flyvholm and Kalle Hvidt Nielsen (i will be interviewing Lars for BeoWorld shortly, and our next competition has something to do with Kalle!) we climbed the stairs to the very top floor, where Bang & Olufsen had created a beautiful showroom of products.

The whole thing was beautifully done, as all B&O launches seem to be, and first up to introduce the B&O launch to the waiting press was Lars Flyvholm - CEO of B&O UK & Benelux.

Now, i'm fully aware that they look like statues on plinths - but i can assure you they moved, talked coherently, and waved their arms around a bit.. I can also assure you also that at no point did they sing Karaoke, even though they look like they are. Laughing

• 11-03-2009 5:17 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Next up is Kalle Hvidt Nielsen, CEO of Bang & Olufsen to explain how the TV was conceived and the ideas behind the design..

Not the most flattering image as it looks like he's wearing some kind of square shouldered Batman cape, which is actually the BV10 with a cover over it.  Perhaps not Batman, but Kalle could turn out to be Superman if B&O keep going with products like the BV10.  He has an incredibly strong vision and a firm belief that it can be achieved - which is exactly what the company needs right now.  He's also an incredibly approachable chap and has time for everyone!

• 11-03-2009 6:21 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

After a thorough 'walk-round' of the design and manufacturing process of the BV10 by Steve Devonshire, a hugely long-standing servant of the company who (it is rumoured) joined B&O to head the marketing team for the 'Eliminator' - we were treated to a demonstration of the sound capabilities of the set.

Personally, i would compare it to the BV6/BC6-26 in volume and range (to my ears at least) and the sound was very strong on midrange, with bass punchy though not boomy, and top end being very good but lacking the really fine detail of an acoustic lens of course.

That said, when the speaker grille was removed - you can't help but be impressed with what the sound engineers have created with so little to work with. The drivers are the size of a chocolate coin, the tweeters are as big as cufflinks, and the 'subwoofer' is tiny!  Add that to the cabinet volume of a crisp packet, and the sound they have produced from it is nothing short of amazing.

Of course, i doubt many people would use it as a 'stand alone' and would add at least a pair of 6000's - so no real issues. It sounds fine as a standalone, and will sound excellent with additional speakers.

So - here is Steve telling us all about it.  If you click on the image and look carefully you'll see he keeps his notes in his hollow little finger, and can be seen very discretely screwing it back on...

• 11-03-2009 6:43 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

The huge amount of glass panels in the room made reflections a real pain for photgraphy, but here is the BV10 'uncovered' and presented on a large plinth, flanked by BV5's.

The cover when it was revealed was black, but was literally changed in seconds as it's simply held on with magnets!  The orange (apparently) was extremely popular in Holland. No idea why... LOL   -  I did see a white cover brought over at the end of the presentation, but this wasn't fitted.  I can say though that i think it would look stunning.

The very corners of the TV are quite sharp and pointed as you can see, which could bring up health and safety issues.  I was told the production model will be changed ever so slightly to address this issue, but the changes will be very discrete.

The way the bezel tapers away from the screen is beautiful and creates a look i've never seen before on a B&O TV. It catches the light and reflections perfectly and just works. This is an incredibly pretty TV in the flesh when switched on.  It also looks beautiful switched off - which is a real test of a B&O product.  I was told by many people that this would sell by the lorry load and be the 'new Avant' but i reserved judgement until i saw it as i like to make the decision myself..

They were correct.  This is the new Avant, without a doubt.

An odd decision was, if they have designed the TV primarily to be hung high on a wall, to put the Bang & Olufsen logo along the top edge of the bezel.  Surely either etching it lightly into the glass at the bottom or putting it on the bottom of the bezel would have been preferable?  That said, if that's the only thing i can think of - that's not a bad thing!

The coloured speaker cover is a real 'toy' that could be played with too.  Imagine having festive covers, designer covers (Paul Smith stripes?!) and others - oh the possibilities!!

• 11-03-2009 7:01 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Floor Stand.  Think BeoVision/BeoCenter 6 motor floor stand and you're there.  Personally, i'm not keen on the look as it looks a little high and awkward to me.  I'd prefer to see it on a 'lite' version of the BV5/BV9 motor floor stand - but i've had my argument counteracted by people saying the stand it's on adds to the illusion that it's 'floating' as it's such a light and slim TV.  Personal taste, and we're all different.

However, seeing it on the wall bracket blew me away! WOW !!!

The bracket is affixed to one edge of the TV, and you simply take the TV and almost 'turn' it like a page in a book when you move it.  A fabulous design - i love it.  Here is the TV after being pulled away from the flat white plinth...

• 11-03-2009 7:06 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

and here's how the bracket works...

• 11-03-2009 7:10 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

One thing you may all be wondering...  is the the BV10 really that slim?

Well - here's Peter holding his iPhone against the side profile of the TV..    Surprise

• 11-03-2009 7:26 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Finally, you're going to be wondering about image quality.  Well, obviously i couldn't replicate this on a photo and this needs to be something that you need to go to your dealer to see. It didn't 'blow me away' but it was clear, sharp and exactly what i would expect from a Bang & Olufsen television. Maybe due to the fact i see B&O TV's in action all day, then come home and watch a full HD BV9 has spoilt me and i take high quality for granted.  I'd love to sit it next to other non-B&O sets, where i'm certain it will shine through - and the journalists all seemed very impressed.

I will say though, that for an LCD, this is superb.  We are now at CRT quality and above.

Here is Peter, discussing the merits of something or other with Lars Flyvholm.  Peter is a man of mystery, and i'm afraid cannot be photographed from the front. If i did, he'd only remove it, then shoot me.

• 11-03-2009 7:34 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

So, that's my quick resumee of the BV10.  Peter will now talk about the technical aspects i'm sure, but my conclusion is that this TV is going to be a huge seller. Priced sensibly, looks beautiful, has the right connections for 95% of the end-users, and with image and sound quality you would expect.

A big thumbs up from me, and it's a real relief to be saying positive things about a new B&O product right from the outset.  Would i buy one of these? In a heartbeat...

As mentioned, i've tried to give my 'feel' for the TV - and i hope i've achieved this. Smile

• 11-03-2009 7:51 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Finally - another little 'bonus' was the BeoCom 5 at the launch Yes -  thumbs up

Bang & Olufsen were displaying two of these. One on the speakerphone dock, and one on a wall bracket.

Both phones felt very 'B&O' as they clamped snugly and firmly onto their magnetic locators, and the weight and feel of the phone was one of quality. Not super-high quality - just quality. You'll know what i mean when you handle one yourself.

The speakerphone dock looks extremely space-age and very Bang & Olufsen, but as it wasn't connected i couldn't judge the sound quality. However, i'm sure it will be just fine.

The handset as you can see has the scroll wheel in the centre, which being aluminium felt very strong and smooth when compared to say the BeoCom 6000.  The display is colour, which is well overdue and a welcome addition. The display is bright and clear.

The phone sits well in the hand, and felt very comfortable.  I'm personally not keen on the coating used, which is similar to that of my iPhone and looks a complete mess once held in a greasy hand.  The BeoCom 4 and 6000 don't do this, so i wonder if perhaps another choice of finish may have been an idea?

Size-wise, the BeoCom 5 isn't too much longer than an iPhone - pictured. Perfect.

Would i buy one?  A difficult one, as i'm happy with my 6000's... but if i was looking to start a new system, the answer would be yes.  That said, the BeoCom 5 really is the 'next generation' of home phone, and i'm sure many Com6000 owners will eventually replace them with the Com5 anyway.

I'm looking forward to seeing how well these do - i really can't predict if they will be a hit or a miss for B&O. Go have a look at one and let me know what you think!

• 11-03-2009 7:54 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Well - that wraps up my day at The Quattro Rooms!  I got up at 4.30am this morning, and it's now almost 1am the following day - so i'm going to sign off and turn in.

I'll leave it to Peter to mention the BV7-55 and also the 103" 'Goliath' TV in the side room.. Wink

Thanks again to Bang & Olufsen for inviting BeoWorld along to the launch, thank you to Peter for joining me, and as mentioned we have some interesting interviews and articles coming up.  I will be asking you all for questions to present to Lars Flyvholm later this week, so stay tuned!

Lee

Smile

• 11-03-2009 10:03 PM In reply to

Thanks Lee for such an incredibly detailed report and the new photos! I for one agree with you that the floor stand seems too high and looks awkward. Hopefully STB or B&O will come up with a more BV5/9-esque alternative.

Festive/designer speaker covers - hmm, never thought of that application but hey seems like a good idea. A couple issues ago B&O magazine had Lab 5's painted by various artists and they looked cool.

Leo

BV 10-40, BV 8-32, BL 9, BL 4, CX100, BS Ouverture, BS 2000, BG 4500, Passive, LC 1, A 9

• 11-04-2009 1:50 AM In reply to

Quite a day! (Including getting up at 4 am - something Kalle also had to do, but he was at CET and was off to the US in the afternoon - as Lee says - clearly Superman!) I will add to this thread this pm once back from work but just to say that it was a great event and Lee was a wonderful host. I also feel that Kalle, Lars and Steve went out of their way to make us welcome and spent a huge amount of time talking to us and explaining their thoughts about the future direction of B&O. I certainly came away confident in their collective vision.

• 11-04-2009 2:30 AM In reply to

Thanks for the pics and stories! Yes -  thumbs up

Looks great, but about the magnetic swappable speaker cloth - I have to mention that this was pioneered by at least Jamo (of Denmark...) with the Graphic panel speakers whose front surface is otherwise black glass. I have a pair at the summer house and quite like their sound. Seems they have sensified the colour selection of the frets, there used to be others... the PO had lost all but the pair coloured something between pink and purple, so I have mostly opted to leave them off Laughing

Only mentioned this because B&O doesn't seem to have anything in the current product line that would suit the tv... Whistle

-mika

• 11-04-2009 2:59 AM In reply to

Lee and Peter, Thanks for sharing! And what a beautiful TV, it just moved to the top of my wish list.

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 11-04-2009 3:15 AM In reply to

• steph
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • France
    • Posts 612
    • Bronze Member

Thanks guys for the time you take to share this event with us ! Yes -  thumbs up

Great review and pics, this new set is really appealing !

Time to think of saying goodbye to BV3 and hello to BV10 !

• 11-04-2009 4:14 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

Firstly Lee, thanks very much for the information and photos.

I realise that I am probably alone in this opinion, by I'm struggling to appreciate the inclusion of the large speaker grill in the lower section of the TV. To me it looks odd.

If the drivers are as small as reported why couldn't they be incorporated into each side of the screen (like the BV3)?

Finally, if as Lee says:-

"Of course, i doubt many people would use it as a 'stand alone' and would add at least a pair of 6000's - so no real issues. It sounds fine as a standalone, and will sound excellent with additional speakers.", 

if I was one of these people, I could envisage becoming annoyed at the large 'redundant' bezel spoiling the lines of the TV.

• 11-04-2009 4:30 AM In reply to

Thanks gentlemen, for sharing your experience at the UK launch.

It was good reading accompanied with nice photos.

Can´t wait to see the BV10 and Beocom 5 live here in Stockholm.

/Claes

Happy owner of: BV10, 2 x Beocom 2, Beocom 6000, Beocenter 2, Beolab 3, Beolab 2000, Beo4, Beolab 11

1:st prize winner Beoworld January Price Draw.

• 11-04-2009 6:08 AM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

kokomo:

if I was one of these people, I could envisage becoming annoyed at the large 'redundant' bezel spoiling the lines of the TV.

I suspect, with the TV being so slim, that there is much more than those drivers behind that bezel !!  There is a very clever subwoofer system in conjunction with that small single driver too, which was demonstrated on a screen.

I think the bezel looks perfect, and i'm sure you will agree once you see the TV in front of you. 

Lee

Smile

• 11-04-2009 6:16 AM In reply to

There is indeed a very large ported enclosure in the center of the TV. It is this that allows the sound to be improved. The drivers are relatively small - you would not expect the tweeters to be big but the midrange is smll, though not for a TV. The central woofer is a better size though and needs a decent enclosure, the design of which has been what B&O are particularly happy with.

• 11-04-2009 7:35 AM In reply to

Thanks for the great report, guys !!!

Great pics and a great read Smile .... Well done!

Page 1 of 2 (40 items) 1 2 Next >