in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-02-2009 5:50 PM by Jandyt. 24 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (25 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-01-2009 7:57 PM

A Beocenter 2200 world of pain

Hello to everyone, I'm a total novice with all this so please be gentle with me.

I used to dream of one day having a Bang & Olufsen system when I was a kid.  So on impulse, when I was looking at eBay last week, I bought a Beocenter 2200 for £48, and Beovox X25 speakers for £26.95.

I thought I'd got a bargain but it seems I've bought a bit of a lemon, reading the writeups of the 2200 on this site.  But I've never had a high-end hi-fi system before (separates, but quite low-end ones) so it could be a decent introduction to B&O ownership.  It looks great, at any rate.

Anyway, having got the thing home, here the problems start.  First off, the display doesn't light up as it should, just the various red LEDs.  Second, the tape deck doesn't move at all - not the end of the world, I'm not really intending to use it all that much.

But then we reach the record deck. Although it plays when you press the phono button, there is an MMC5 stylus/cartridge on it (which I read is the most important and expensive part), the tonearm skips about rather than playing properly even after I adjusted the counterweight as per the manual.  Feeling under the cartridge, there is a needle there.  But I suspect all this could just mean it's worn out as a working part.  Are my fears right?

Or, as I'm hoping, is there something really obvious and basic that I'm not doing?

Then we move on to the second main problem - having connected up one of the speakers, and tried listening through a pair of walkman headphones, with an adaptor to convert the 3.5mm jack to quarter-inch size, I've only heard extremely faint audio by turning the thing up to full blast.  It sounds like it's not being amplified at all, to be honest.  

On 'phono' I've managed to just about hear the record playing.  Well, skipping and skating about.  My one small victory is that I have, however, managed to get an equally faint - but very clear-sounding - signal by tuning the FM presets after attaching a small simple wire aerial to the back of the thing.

The FM button for manual tuning does nothing.  Doesn't light up, doesn't select.  AM and LW are selectable but I haven't got an AM aerial at the moment.

Is any of this easily fixable?  I've downloaded the service manual and despite being a novice with Bang & Olufsen hi-fis I'm not too bad with a soldering iron etc.

At the very least I'm hoping I can use it as a radio and as an amp/speakers for my computer or an external CD player?  I read somewhere you can get a lead to hook it up?

Anyway, there it is.  I'm hoping some kind person will come along and take pity on me.  Or tell me I've just bought an expensive doorstop.

• 11-02-2009 4:26 AM In reply to

• Macus
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 09-14-2009
    • Kungälv, Sweden
    • Posts 25
    • Bronze Member

Re: A Beocenter 2200 world of pain

I think you should return this to the seller and ask for a refund.

This old entry modell isn't worth that money even if it is working.

Look for a Beomaster instead!

Owner of a Beomaster 2400-2 and a pair of Beovox 1001 speakers. 

My other favourite brands are Apple, Philips and Infinity.

• 11-02-2009 6:57 AM In reply to

Macus:

I think you should return this to the seller and ask for a refund.

This old entry modell isn't worth that money even if it is working.

Look for a Beomaster instead!

I agree. You've been sold a pup. There's lots to choose from out there in terms of vintage B&O, but some is better than others, and those Beocenters are probably not worth bothering with for the simple fact that for about £50ish you could probably pick up a nice Beomaster on a good day on Ebay. See if you can return to the seller.

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 11-02-2009 7:32 AM In reply to

I agree with the other posts. Despite looking good, the gubbins of the 2200 is an inexpensive Japanese Music Centre and they are much harder to work on than the 'real' B&O from the period. The price you paid would be OK  for one in full working order (including a working cartridge)  but a 2200 with multiple problems isn't really worth anything at all. If it was described as needing work then you will need to put it down to experience I am afraid, If it was decribed as being in full working order  you could demand a refund as the item is not as described either directly or via Paypal.

The speakers are not the best either I am afraid, but it will be harder to get a refund if they work!

John has made a good point, if you just want to amplify a CD player you don't need a Beocenter at all!

Simon

• 11-02-2009 9:19 AM In reply to

It's a little more complex than that - I bought the speakers separately from someone else on a separate auction, and as far as I can tell they do work.  I'm annoyed with myself that I didn't do more reading before I bought them, I only looked up what the matching speakers for the 2200 were rather than whether they were any good.

However as my existing speakers are 25W Dansk ones that date back to the 70s and belonged to my grandad, I suspect they might be better than those.

I was hoping to use the Beocenter as a radio and also to play my vinyl on (I have a Technics SL-BD22 I was intending to get rid of), using the thing to amplify a CD or my computer was just a fallback, but it looks like even that's not possible.

I think the listing on eBay is pretty watertight "In very good condition for it's age and was in full working order when we last used over eight years ago but  cannot guarantee it still does hence the low bid start and no reserve price as I would like it to find a good home".  But he seemed like a decent chap when I picked them up so I can ask for a refund and see what he says.

From the wording I wasn't expecting the thing to be perfect - I wasn't at all surprised that the tape deck didn't work, for instance - but I did expect it to be functional in some way and capable of amplifying sound.  It's all experience, isn't it?

Is it possible to get a B&O system for anything like £200?  Essentially I'd like a record deck and amp with radio, and a CD player would be good.  Or should I be asking for the moon on a stick while I'm about it?

What sort of thing should I be aiming at?

I know of a Beogram 3000 tuner/amp/record deck with a CDX2 CD playter and BeoVox CX100 speakers - is that in my league?

Or there's a Beomaster 5500 with Beocord 5500, Beogram 5005 deck, Beogram CD50 and a master control panel/remote with Beovox RL speakers on eBay at the moment.  It hasn't got a cartridge for the record deck and is currently on for £200, although the auction's got 3 days to go still.

To be honest, I've had my fingers burned and I'm thinking of walking away from the whole business.

But thank you for all the responses and advice.

• 11-02-2009 10:33 AM In reply to

The 5500 system is proper B&O and a very good system. The CD50 will probably not work though and the Beocord could well need new belts. The common fault with the Beomaster is that the mute circuit on speaker 1 will stick, but you can always use speaker 2!! Where do you live?

• 11-02-2009 11:09 AM In reply to

Watford.

How much should one go up to, for a 5500?  Bearing in mind it will need an MMC4, which as I've already established will cost £150...

This is the trouble I have, that I have absolutely no idea what a fair price for anything is.

• 11-02-2009 11:27 AM In reply to

I use a 5500 system every day - it lives under my monitor and provides music from my system. I got my first one for free from my old dealer and the white one I have now was also a present! If the CD50 is working, about £300 would seem OK. Shame you are not closer as I have a Beomaster 2400 and Beogram 2402 looking for a good home - I need to check they are fully working though! I don't post things as they get broken but if you are up in the Newcastle neck of the woods any time, you can have them.

• 11-02-2009 12:01 PM In reply to

My advice would be to skip the Beocenter and fill your tank up with enough fuel for the return trip to Newcastle! That's a very generous offer for a nice system indeed :)

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 11-02-2009 12:04 PM In reply to

That's amazingly kind, thank you.  I'll try and work out a way of getting up to Newcastle...  I suppose they're too big to carry on the bus or train?

• 11-02-2009 12:18 PM In reply to

Probably too big! - give me a couple of days and I will do some photos - I am flying to London tomorrow but no room for these I am afraid. I'll check they are fully working too!

• 11-02-2009 12:43 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

j0hnbarker:

My advice would be to skip the Beocenter and fill your tank up with enough fuel for the return trip to Newcastle! That's a very generous offer for a nice system indeed :)

Definately your best bet by farCool

Classic B&O which you won't regret owning. Find yourself a decent pair of S45-2 speakers on ebay (not the S45's as these will have foam rot) and you'll be as happy as Larry.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 11-02-2009 1:34 PM In reply to

Excellent - thank you very much.  Even with the price of petrol it'll be worth driving up for it.

• 11-02-2009 1:42 PM In reply to

Medogsfat:

Classic B&O which you won't regret owning. Find yourself a decent pair of S45-2 speakers on ebay (not the S45's as these will have foam rot) and you'll be as happy as Larry.

Chris.

It does strike me as an extremely kind offer.  Forgive my ignorance, but what's foam rot?  I've read the term but not found out what it is yet.

There's a pair of S35s on eBay at the moment - would those be any good?  Or would I be better off sticking with my X25s until the right thing comes along?

• 11-02-2009 1:45 PM In reply to

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

Please don't take this the wrong way, but i think possibly anything is better than X25's. Hmm

I think value for money wise, the S45-2's are fabulous and a great introduction to classic B&O.  With those and the system Peter has kindy offered you, you'd have a lovely set-up!!  Smile

Lee

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 11-02-2009 2:39 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

DrewSavage:

It does strike me as an extremely kind offer.  Forgive my ignorance, but what's foam rot?  I've read the term but not found out what it is yet.

There's a pair of S35s on eBay at the moment - would those be any good?  Or would I be better off sticking with my X25s until the right thing comes along?

Peter is legendary on Beoworld for his acts of generosity.Smile

S30's are OK and decent enough small speakers but not in the same league as S45-2's (I have to agree with Lee re:- X25's and they have appeared in a Beoworld poll as the worst B&O product of all time).

Foam rot is the deterioration of the circular membranes which connect the speaker cones to the speaker frames. They simply allow the speaker cones to move in a central position and stop vibration & the drive coils wearing away. On some B&O speakers (and other makes) these are made from foam which basically rots due to age - it is explained in further detail HERE. The S45-2's have rubber surrounds so don't suffer from this.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 11-02-2009 2:41 PM In reply to

• yachadm
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-24-2007
    • Jerusalem, Israel
    • Posts 687
    • Bronze Member

Hey Chris,

I like your recommendation

"Find yourself a decent pair of S45-2 speakers on ebay (not the S45's as these will have foam rot)"

YES. YES. YES !!!  Convince everyone to leave all the S45's alone, so the prices come down ;->

The S45's were available in 2 versions - the early S45's are fantastic (have 4, and always looking for more), as they have the rubber surrounds and a fantastic woofer.

The later S45's had the foam rot, and a lousy woofer.

But if you don't like all S45's in general, that's fine by us early model S45 fans!!!!

Menahem

Learn from the mistakes of others - you'll not live long enough to make them all yourself!

• 11-02-2009 4:04 PM In reply to

That is an exceptionally generous offer from Peter, but far from out of character!

If you don't drive it would certainly be worth hiring a car for a day and sweet-talking a friend into driving you up the Motorway  and back!

If you decide to do that  I have a pair of Beovox S30's (The 1970's resin-backed version) that I replaced with my S45-2's that I would be happy to send you for the cost of postage.

They aren't quite as good as the S45-2's but they have a lovely warm sound  and are more compact. My father has had a pair in daily use for the last 32 years and never felt the need to replace them so they would certainly keep you going while you waited for the S45-2's!  They were the first B&O item I bought for myself so I would like them to go to a good home!

Simon

• 11-02-2009 4:10 PM In reply to

wirralsimon:

That is an exceptionally generous offer from Peter, but far from out of character!

If you don't drive it would certainly be worth hiring a car for a day and sweet-talking a friend into driving you up the Motorway  and back!

If you decide to do that  I have a pair of Beovox S30's (The 1970's resin-backed version) that I replaced with my S45-2's that I would be happy to send you for the cost of postage.

They aren't quite as good as the S45-2's but they have a lovely warm sound  and are more compact. My father has had a pair in daily use for the last 32 years and never felt the need to replace them so they would certainly keep you going while you waited for the S45-2's!  They were the first B&O item I bought for myself so I would like them to go to a good home!

Simon

Another amazingly kind offer - what a great group of people you are!

I will wait for Peter to give me the nod, of course, but after that I will be motoring up the M1 at the earliest opportunity.

So - thank you and yes please.

Drew

• 11-02-2009 4:18 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

If you feel you need a pit-stop at Leeds my door is always open & a nice cup of Twinings (in a proper Bone China cup too) awaiting for any Beoworlder Smile

Chris.

• 11-02-2009 5:27 PM In reply to

Back home! All works - and I have found a spare pair of S45-2s as well. Actually sounds rather better through them than the M100s which need a bit of a work out I feel! No bass!

I should point out that this system is not perfect. The wood on the front of the Beogram looks a bit wavy - a few splits - and the S45-2s have a few marks and one tweeter looks a bit odd though it sounds fine. The remote for the Beomaster is not working but this is not a surprise as it has no battery! It may or may not work once it has one fitted! (It uses a weird Varta one which I don't have at present!) It also comes with the usual Peter proviso than when no longer wanted, it is given to a deserving soul and not sold, with the same proviso given to the recipient.

• 11-02-2009 5:32 PM In reply to

The record player appears to come with an acceptable MMC20EN

• 11-02-2009 5:34 PM In reply to

The receiver seems to fully work - all the lights are OK and both channels work. The FM radio is also fine. You will need speaker wires and an aerial though - I am using the ones from my 8000 system!

• 11-02-2009 5:38 PM In reply to

Hi,

I have been one of many recipients of Peter's generosity - a Beomaster 4400, arguably the best Tuner/Amplifier B&O every produced - and am enjoying it now as I type.

If he is offering you a beomaster and a beogram, I suspect they are in Rosewood - I know he is very fond of the beautifully figured veneer B&O used to use.  If they are in Teak, however, I have a fully working pair of Teak S45.2s in very good cosmetic condition - apart from a slight rip in the top corner of the speaker grill cloth - you are more than welcome to, but I live at the other end of the country from Peter -darkest Devon.  So, if you fancy a trip down the A303 or M4/M5.....

Cleve

• 11-02-2009 5:50 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Medogsfat:

DrewSavage:

Peter is legendary on Beoworld for his acts of generosity.Smile

Hear! Hear!.
    Peter, you are a star!
    Drew, if Clitheroe is on your way north, you would be more than welcome to break your jouney here. I have lots of B&O, most of it inexpensive, and some of it given to me by kind Beoworld members, and a few items from Peter.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

Page 1 of 1 (25 items)