in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-12-2009 2:43 AM by Dillen. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-28-2009 10:02 PM

Beogram 8000 repair

HI there.... I'm the original owner of a beogram 8000 that has been sitting idle in the basement for 15 years. I had to do some repairs of dried out parts but did have it running great again. The lastest issue is one of the output channels has gone dead. Is there a way to determine where the problem is located? I don't know if it is the cartridge or something in the turntable. Any help is appreciated.

• 11-05-2009 6:54 PM In reply to

Re: Beogram 8000 repair

Hi, I’m not sure I can help because I have a similar problem. I am also the original owner of this unit and have had mine packed away for 6 years. I just hooked it up today and was not happy when the platter refused to rotate. I’ve got the user’s guide packed away in another box somewhere so I don’t have the 1st idea about where to start troubleshooting this thing.

It has power, the speed indicators seem to work, the arm moves out over the platter area and I can control it electronically, but the platter motor seems inoperable. Can you or someone else tell me where to start looking for the problem? Thanks

• 11-06-2009 1:25 PM In reply to

Hi:

Check the muting relay. It is on the DIN connector.

Sometimes the contacts have oxidized.

Derek

• 11-10-2009 5:35 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

The muting relay contacts actually ground the signal so lack of contact will result in lack of muting (i.e. you can
    hear the needle land on the record etc.).
    In your case, I think I would check the signal leads that are soldered to the edge of the DIN connector board
    (where also the muting relay sits). It's not uncommon to see them break off if the Beogram was put together
    without arranging the cables correctly (so they don't flex near the solder joints when the subchassis bounces).

Martin

• 11-11-2009 10:50 PM In reply to

Thanks for the suggestion. The channel went out when I moved a few months back, so it would make sense that an old solder joint failed. I had the turntable in storage for a longtime, its original problem last year was a bad tackometer disk. I made my own replacement but would be interested in finding out about a metal disk. This project was inspired by my 12 year son who is hooked on guitar hero and wanted to listen to my old LEd Z, Pink F and other rock albums. Now he loves the turntable and has been waiting patiently to find a fix. I have also read it would be a good idea to replace the old caps. Is this or other maintenance recommended?

• 11-12-2009 2:43 AM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

The tachodisc and the capacitors are the main issues.
    Cleaning and lubricating the threaded shaft for the carriage is also essential as well as the
    servo motor belt.

You have a PM, check your inbox in the extreme top right corner of this page.

Martin

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)