in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-08-2011 3:38 PM by mbaum. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (23 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-26-2009 9:32 PM

• mbaum
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-26-2009
    • Posts 4
    • Bronze Member

Looking for a pristine, vintage B&O system - Which one to get?

Gents,

After becoming very proficient with classic cars, I know would like to turn some attention to playing my old LPs and mix tapes. It would be perfect to do so on a nice, vintage B&O system for the look and for the sound of it - I do like the Beomaster 1900 (And have an opportunity to buy an entire, complete system) and the Beosystem 4500. Primary use will be for playing records. Though I also appreciate a CD player (Though most CDs are already ripped to iTunes).

What do I need to consider to get a vintage system to enjoy?

• Price guide for full, immaculate to almost pristine systems?
    • Appart from craigslist, eBay, what are good sources/ vintage dealers in the US (Cali/ SoCal prefered)?
    • Servicablility when things need to be replaced (Where to go?)?
    • Which model is more finicky? What other B&O models would be cool options?
    • Can they be hooked up to a wireless home entertainment system (via Apple Airport) and an iPod plugged in at an aux port?

Feel free to contact me at michaelabaum@gmail.com if you prefer.

Really appreciate the collective wisdom of this board.

Best,

Mike

• 10-27-2009 2:32 AM In reply to

Re: Looking for a pristine, vintage B&O system - Which one to get?

i had a dream last night and it featured a beosystem 8000 , i know sad isn't it ?

most guys dream of fast cars and beautiful women

:D

popgear is grate™

• 10-27-2009 3:57 AM In reply to

• Macus
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 09-14-2009
    • Kungälv, Sweden
    • Posts 25
    • Bronze Member

The Beomaster 1900 is a real classic system. I have the Beomaster 2400-2 which is almost the same machine, but with an ultrasonic remote control.

But if you need to connect more than just a tape deck and a record player the 4500 system is a better choice. The AirPort Express is also possible to connect.

I suggest you buy both systems. If you have the room for it.

I had to repair my Beomaster with a set of new lamps. I bought them from Dillen here at the forum. The lamps must be soldered in their right places.

Owner of a Beomaster 2400-2 and a pair of Beovox 1001 speakers. 

My other favourite brands are Apple, Philips and Infinity.

• 10-27-2009 10:05 AM In reply to

I think you really need to decide what it is you want the system to do. I have a couple of excellent classic systems but they do what they were designed to do - which is mainly pay the radio and LPs. If you want them to play MP3s and CDs, this is not as easy. The 1900 has relatively few connections and I would say is not ideal for this scenario. I would consider the Beocenter 9500 - CD built in, a proper Phono soclket but a decent AUX connection too. Similar design ethos of no buttons and flat panels but with modern connections.

• 10-27-2009 10:48 AM In reply to

Don't mess about - get the full Beosystem 8000. The rest are mere chipolatas compared with this enormous bratwurst of a system.

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 10-27-2009 11:26 AM In reply to

I suppose one could use a CDX with the 8000 system but its size and complexity and getting a room big enough to have MS150s  in does limit some people.

The collectors' choice would be the Beolab 5000 system which has plenty of connections and is just very musical to listen to. However I stick to my initial thoughts that if it is planned to use this with modern sources, a 9500 is a good choice - or the 4500 as mentioned above which combines the spirit of the 1900 you admire with rather more modern electronics - it is is essence a separates 9500!

By the way, you didn't say what sort of classic car you have! That might have some bearing on our suggestions! Smile

• 10-27-2009 11:50 AM In reply to

Peter :

By the way, you didn't say what sort of classic car you have! That might have some bearing on our suggestions! Smile

Yep:

Austin Seven = 1900 system

Austin Healey = Beolab 8000

I have loved and lost a MG BGT V8, Triumph TR6 and a four pot BGT so I tend towards the bigger banger.

• 10-27-2009 12:18 PM In reply to

• scuba
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-28-2008
    • Posts 48
    • Bronze Member

If you look at the car in my avatar  what B&O system matches thatBig Smile 

Maybe if if B&O delivered som radios for the the Danish army at some timeHmm

• 10-27-2009 12:35 PM In reply to

• mbaum
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-26-2009
    • Posts 4
    • Bronze Member

Thanks so much for pitching in - Choices, choices, and, once decided, where to find and get?

Thanks much for the pointers to the Beolab 8000 (Cool with speakers and matching cabinet) and Beolab 5000 - Gotta love the 8000.

In the end, it probably comes down to a choice between "pure vintage" and focusing on LPs (Probably the direction for me to go) or "some vintage with more compatibility", which would point to the 9500. Size is not really a limiting factor: They are all huge systems.

Oh as to cars, if this gives any clues to the ideal system: It is all about Porsche and crazy Italian coachbuilt cars: Currently I drive a 69 911S, 56 356A, a 72 Alfa Romeo Junior Zagato and a 62 Lancia Flaminia Zagato. 

Thanks,

Mike

• 10-27-2009 1:04 PM In reply to

scuba:

If you look at the car in my avatar  what B&O system matches thatBig Smile 

Maybe if if B&O delivered som radios for the the Danish army at some timeHmm

Built like a tank = Beolab 5000.

• 10-27-2009 1:31 PM In reply to

There's a good Beolab 8000 that's been listed in the Norwegian "craig's list" for a while. He's asking for a bid - new stylus.

http://www.finn.no/finn/bap/object?finnkode=18885110

• 10-27-2009 3:23 PM In reply to

mbaum:

Oh as to cars, if this gives any clues to the ideal system: It is all about Porsche and crazy Italian coachbuilt cars: Currently I drive a 69 911S, 56 356A, a 72 Alfa Romeo Junior Zagato and a 62 Lancia Flaminia Zagato. 

What a fantastic quartet of cars. I'm a real Porsche aficionado but I have to say that Flaminia Zagato is fantastic! Great technology and superb looks!

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 10-27-2009 3:57 PM In reply to

mbaum:

OK... so you like teutonic engineering with a little pizzaz!

Hmmm... Something older, something different...

How about: BM2200 / BC2200 / BG4000 - 4002 - 4004 / CDX / P45 Speakers?

• B&o bottle opener
  • 10-27-2009 5:56 PM In reply to

• sverreh
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 88
    • Founder

j0hnbarker:

I have loved and lost a MG BGT V8, Triumph TR6 and a four pot BGT so I tend towards the bigger banger.

I have a TR 6.  What would be the B&O match?

(I know my answer Smile )

Sverre

• 10-27-2009 5:59 PM In reply to

sverreh:

j0hnbarker:

I have a TR 6.  What would be the B&O match?

(I know my answer Smile )

Sverre

Ooo. Is it a CP or CR series? I had a CP (150bhp) but we parted company four years ago. I do have the Beolab 8000 still :)

• 10-28-2009 4:42 PM In reply to

• sverreh
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 88
    • Founder

It is a CR series, 1973(4) CKD assembled in Belgium.

I do think it goes well with my Beosystem 9500.

• 10-28-2009 4:44 PM In reply to

Nice :)

I think us TR6 owners know a thing or two about clean lines when we see them. The 9500 is on my wanted list if I could find a nice Beolink 7000 and some Beolab 5000s to go with it!

• 10-28-2009 5:28 PM In reply to

• sverreh
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Norway
    • Posts 88
    • Founder

Happy huntingSmile

• 10-28-2009 6:33 PM In reply to

• mbaum
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-26-2009
    • Posts 4
    • Bronze Member

Really apprecaite all the advice. What are reasonable price bands? Understand that price is mainly driven by condition, model "provenance" and history (another classic car analogy ...) but appreciate your range estimate for fully functioning, pristine or close to pristine units without speakers:

• Beosystem 1900 (Complete unit with casette deck and record player)
    • Complete Beosystem 4500
    • Beocenter 9500 (Without record player, but would would a pristine Beogram 9500 go for)
    • And, the holy grail, a complete Beosystem 8000

As it happens, there are three units on the market locally (SoCal, Orange County) and all are marketed as absolutely pristine: a 9500, including Beovox C50 speakers and a complete Beosystem 1900 and what appears to be a very nice Beocenter 7000 with matching B&O cabinet in rosewood.

Thanks much,

Mike

• 10-28-2009 7:33 PM In reply to

mbaum:
  • Beocenter 9500 (Without record player, but would would a pristine Beogram 9500 go for)
  •  

Hi,

Very recently I sold both a Beocenter 9500 - for £549.00

and a Beogram 9500 - for £399.00

Both were in the pristine condition you are seeking.

Regards.

Michael

BV5, BV Avant, MX4000, MX1500

BS 7000, BS 5500

Penta III, Penta II, BL 4000, RL 60.2,  RL 35, CX-100 Alu

BL 7000, MCP6500, MCP5500,  BL 5000,  Beo4 (x2), BL 1000 (x2)

• 10-29-2009 5:29 AM In reply to

Hi Mike

Bentleyman has given a fair estimate of the 9500 related stuff, so I'll have a bash with the remainder:

Always going to be difficult to find in fully-functioning condition. I suppose a good lot would set you back somewhere in the region of £200ish on a reasonable day on eBay. Depends to a great extent who is bidding and how much they want the system. If you were in Europe I would suggest looking for good cosmetic units that are in need of electrical repair, as this is the route I'd go down.

These can vary. The Beogram is the most expensive item, and if it has a good MMC in it then it will attract more money. You have a better chance of finding good working units on eBay than with the 1900 or 8000, but watch for the glass covering the controls if you want to wall-mount, as the adhesive seems to de-nature over time and the panels can fall off. I've seen good Beomaster 4500s go for £150 on Ebay, and the Beogram CD 4500 seems to be in the same price bracket. Beocord 4500s are worth next to nothing, and I sold one a couple of years ago for £40. The Beogram 4500 is harder to price as people do buy them to pair with the Beocenter 9500 on occasion. Maybe £250-300 for a good one with a good MMC4.

I have one of these systems and I have to say that it's the biggest sausage on the block. Forget trying to find a full system that works, as there will inevitably be something wrong with at least one of the units. Problem comes from trying to get these repaired in the US, as I only know two Europeans who I would normally ask to have a look at my stuff. Everything in this system is big and heavy, and will cost $$$$ to ship abroad for repairs. To give you an idea what I'd want for my system if I broke it up (which I never will), then the Beomaster must be worth £300, the Beogram £300, the Beocord (depressingly, given how good it is) about £60, and the CDX about £120. You'll be lucky to find some good MS150.2s, and good pairs are worth at least £150-200. I just got some Beovox Pentas (£500) instead, as they are easier to find, and easier on the eye.

One final thought is to consider the size of the room where you will be using these systems. A big room will swallow up the sound from a 1900 + CX50s just as sure as an 8000 system would probably be overkill in a smaller room. I have a Beomaster 2000 + CX50s in my office where I don't want loud music and to sit far away from the sytem. My 8000 setup is in a much larger room where I'm about 15' away from the Pentas.

Of course, you could just get everything you want (as I ended up doing over time)!

• 10-29-2009 6:43 AM In reply to

Fair estimates though 8000s are getting cheaper in my experience. The only thing I would add is the Beogram 4500 has a built in RIAA so will not work with a BC9500. You need somethng like a BG3000 or a 9500. These decks are all based on the same design and the 3000 is usually the cheapest of the non RIAA units. Exactly the same performance.

• 11-08-2011 3:38 PM In reply to

• mbaum
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 10-26-2009
    • Posts 4
    • Bronze Member

Resurecting my own threat. I cannot believe that it took me two years to finally purchase a system but the stars aligned. I bought a refurbished Beosystem 5000 with a pair of pristine Beovox 55. The system was local so it was easy to get.

Everything works as it should, including both remotes. Unbelievable that it took me that long - and even longer to get the old vinyl out.

While it is in really good shape, I do want to make it look even nicer, hence three questions to the experts:

1. Some of the plastic legs (glides, crutch tips, cups or whatever they are called) are missing. I assume this will make the system stack closer than it should. What have you used to address this? Borrowed from the ones we can get for furniture?
    2. I would like to address a few scratches in the black plastic and annodized aluminum part. Digging through the posts, it seems the aluminum part is the hardest and best is to replace those top trim panels. Are replacements available?
    3. For cleaning the black plastic part, is it best to use a light polish or does the thing required to be painted (I read that in a post somewhere on here)?

Or just leaving it alone and simply enjoying it? Only the Beocord and Beomaster need some cosmetic refrshining as I suppose they ended up at the bottom of the stack ...

Thanks,

Mike

Page 1 of 1 (23 items)