in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-26-2009 10:23 AM by burantek. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-25-2009 4:55 PM

BM 8000 vs. Mcintosh amp.........

Has anyone compared BM 8000 with Mcintosh (solid state) amp?

Even though I'm set to getting BM 8000 (great value as well), I have no opportunity to actually listen.   Personally I'm not that impressed with most amps, about the only amp I know sounds really good to my ears is Mcintosh (both tube and solid state) amps, but they cost a lot more than BM 8000.

• 10-25-2009 5:28 PM In reply to

Re: BM 8000 vs. Mcintosh amp.........

No not at all.

That there such a a brand called Mcintosh is news to me.

I did not even hear a Beomaster 8000 untill I got mine home from Dillen the second time. It was in horrible condition electronic wise so the pick up day went like this: travel to seller, get it, back to the train station with it and then to Dillen after that 4 hours home.

Nearly the same with Beomaster 6000 but the palisander one (first one) has at least being able to play fine at lower volume and stable too.

I use only tube amps for my electric guitars and are critical enough. As it is I've been stuck with same 2 amp setups for some years and it feels like yesterday in most cases when I was trying it out. The same with my Beomaster 8000. It makes HIFI obsolete and non interesting for me.

A well serviced Beomaster 8000 and BM6000 too (Quite underrated here on Beoworld) will always have a good value. You don't loose anything by trying it for a while. Most likely you can get your money back if you don't want it.

• 10-25-2009 5:49 PM In reply to

Take a look over here!

I too am looking fwd to more input on this topic!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 10-25-2009 5:59 PM In reply to

I don't think the 6000 is under rated - it is based on the 4400 which is in many people's opinion the best sounding receiver made by B&O. The only problem I have with the 6000 is that it is a little flashy - too many lights for my taste - and has an overheating issue. Soundwise, it is right up there.

The ones that are really under rated are the 2000 and 2200, both of which are excellent, and very cheap!

Comparing valve and transistor amplifiers is always tricky - both have advantages - the transistor will have more power usually and lower distortion but the valve has the warm second order harmonic distortion which is more pleasing to the ear than the typical odd order harmonics that most transistor amplifiers produce. Obviously good design will reduce this. However the real answer is listen for yourself and decide what you like!

• 10-25-2009 6:05 PM In reply to

Friedmett:

No not at all.

That there such a a brand called Mcintosh is news to me.

It's from the states, so maybe that's why.

Maybe you should try to audition one sometime.   Personally McIntosh is the only amp I would consider getting, besides bm 8000 (after auditioning many), normally I don't go for "audiophile grade" stuff, but McIntosh is the exception, their reputation is as good as their sound.   They're expensive, but to my ears, worth it.

• 10-25-2009 6:07 PM In reply to

burantek:

Take a look over here!

I too am looking fwd to more input on this topic!

Well, this is going to be one of my project.   As soon as I get BM8000 and a McIntosh, I'll do a test and post it here.

• 10-25-2009 6:10 PM In reply to

RedGrant:
    McIntosh is the exception, their reputation is as good as their sound.

Read [Piaf]'s comments about how they handle warranty... wonder why I am interested???

P.S. RedGrant: You from the states?

• B&o bottle opener
  • 10-26-2009 10:06 AM In reply to

burantek:

RedGrant:
    McIntosh is the exception, their reputation is as good as their sound.

Read [Piaf]'s comments about how they handle warranty... wonder why I am interested???

P.S. RedGrant: You from the states?

I wish Piaf did a sound comparison.

Yes, Omaha, NE.

• 10-26-2009 10:23 AM In reply to

RedGrant:
    I wish Piaf did a sound comparison.

Looks like [mfirst] has started a thread w/ just that! Looking forward to more input!

He is apparently from the states as well...

Carolinas here.

I have a BM8000... guess I may just have to get a McI... and try it myself! Laughing

• B&o bottle opener
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)