in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-30-2009 4:43 AM by TWG. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (21 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-25-2009 4:54 PM

• Olof
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-12-2007
    • Posts 141
    • Bronze Member

If you own a BeoSound 5 would you buy it again ?

or would you take a BeoSound 9000 instead ? If i connect a BS 9000 with a BeoMaster 5 and a TV, wouldn´t i have then more options as with a BeoSound 5 ?

• 10-25-2009 5:01 PM In reply to

• Teletom
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-09-2007
    • the Netherlands
    • Posts 111
    • Gold Member

Re: If you own a BeoSound 5 would you buy it again ?

I wonder if you would have the MOTS feature with this combination.

• 10-25-2009 5:12 PM In reply to

• Olof
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-12-2007
    • Posts 141
    • Bronze Member

No, but if i put 6 similar CDs into the BS 9000, it would have the music i like for hours Big Smile

• 10-25-2009 5:48 PM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Olof:

or would you take a BeoSound 9000 instead ? If i connect a BS 9000 with a BeoMaster 5 and a TV, wouldn´t i have then more options as with a BeoSound 5 ?

Yes, I would buy it again, but I`m happy I don`t have to do it, because it`s a lot of money.

As I was not quite sure, before I got my BS5, I kept my BS9000. Now I can listen to BS5 in the main room, and the kids can listen to the radio or CD upstairs.

And I didn`t want to miss my records, so I kept my BS 7000 with BG 7000 turntable.

Stefan

• 10-25-2009 6:24 PM In reply to

Can you guys post if mac or pc when answering this?

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 10-25-2009 7:50 PM In reply to

Oh yes. I held on to my BeoSound 3200 in the main room thinking it would be nice to have all types of media at my disposal and have used it one time since whereas the BeoSound 5 plays every day.

I use a mac.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 10-25-2009 8:38 PM In reply to

Olof:
    No, but if i put 6 similar CDs into the BS 9000, it would have the music i like for hours

From a MacBook, and I am not an owner of a BS 9000 nor a BM5/BS5 ... but I do have an opinion :)

Like Trip I rarely play anything from my BS4 but I use it to access by iTunes (A.AUX) and to play iTunes (N.Music) depending upon where my MacBook is ... (lap, table, etc versus connected to my BeoPort and BV8)

I used the BS4 now to access the iTunes source usually in Genius or Genius Mixes mode; what I like about the BS4 is that it displays what I am playing ...

The BS4 has the capacity to play music through its SD card - for hours depending upon how much quality I am prepared to sacrifice

I did investigate buying a BM5 to access via the BV8, but I would have lost MOTS ... so for me the MacBook iTunes is the best current solution - I look forward to seeing what the next evolution of the BM5/BS5 and/or iPod integration brings us 

[ update: this link shows the user experience I have today ... and why I would like to be able to have a "BeoSound 5" look and feel on my BV8 ]

I don't think I would ever go for a BS 9000 much as I love it as a piece of design and art ... I think this is the closest I will come to owning one:

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 10-25-2009 9:34 PM In reply to

I run a BS5 through a BV7.4 and BL5's.

I am very happy with the performance of the BS5 and somewhat disconcerted with some of the criticisms levelled at it in these forums.

I have had an issue with it re-booting continually for a period – this was caused by power surges in my house during peak power demand (SE Asia, air-con time). This was resolved with a power regulator.

I have had no issues with poor wake-ups, crashes etc.. other than above.

The N.Radio is very good but needs a reasonable/steady internet connection to work (Again from the perspective of SE Asia).

I have had no problems with dust under the screen (one of the first models released – but perhaps I keep my house cleaner than most???)

Tag editing, embedding 600 x 600 res. album art is done via WMP10, scanned through Beoplayer and is loaded on to the BM5 wirelessly from my home office without incident or hassle.

There are IMHO a few things that can be done to improve the usability but nothing that is a real deal-breaker.

A great integrated B&O music player (but a bad toy/gadget for some) and I would buy it again without hesitation.

10%

• 10-26-2009 3:34 AM In reply to

And happy with mine; I cannot recall the last time I played a cd, though I still occasionally buy them in preference to downloading from itunes.

Waiting for the dust modification kit to arrive.

P

• 10-26-2009 4:01 AM In reply to

peter2, is there another (2nd) dust modification kit coming??

• 10-26-2009 4:06 AM In reply to

• steph
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • France
    • Posts 612
    • Bronze Member

Very happy with mine too !

Could not come back to play CDs... (however, i had a BS9000 before)

The usability is a joy : the wheels, the big screen with the hi-res. covers, the movements of the graphics... Embarrassed

No problems with dust too.

So, yes, i would buy it again.

• 10-26-2009 5:28 AM In reply to

I feel that the BeoSound 5 is the best purchase I've ever made from B&O. I would buy it again in a heartbeat. I never use CDs or my BeoCenter 2 anymore. It's more than just MOTS. The BeoSound 5 interface makes it very quick and easy to access my music.

I use a Mac.

• 10-26-2009 10:49 AM In reply to

Absolutely! I would buy the Beosound 5 again.  Although I also have a Beocenter 2, I rarely use it except to play LPS on a Beogram 7000 through the Aux port.  I love MOTS and and internet radio.

I live in a Mac and PC household.  They seem to get along.

Beosound 5 BL9 BC2 BL8000 Beovision 7 BL6002  BL11 

• 10-26-2009 11:30 AM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

I would buy the BS5 again.  I kept my BS9000 - actually, my wife will not let me get rid of it, and I'm not sure that I want to.  I've had no problems with it whatsoever.  MOTS works pretty good - very good sometimes. 

I upgraded from a BeoPort + Mac, as this was getting too fiddly - somewhere along the line my iTunes library got screwed up so the Beo4 navigation didn't work reliably, and I was never sure if I was going to get music when I pressed N.Music (or would have to reboot the mac and/or reset the BeoLink).  I don't miss that.

I'm a mostly mac house, but use an old PC laptop + BeoPlayer to load lossless music to the BS5 (and program my Beo5)... although, I also used the Mac integration to copy ~70% of my music directly from the mac because I didn't feel like re-ripping 200 cds (I did re-rip my 50 or so very favorites, and will re-rip others if I find I'm unhappy with the audio quality of lame standard encoded mp3s - so far, I haven't found this necessary).

Stan

• 10-26-2009 2:07 PM In reply to

• pf85
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Posts 145
    • Founder

Like Trip English I also have a BS 3200 ... and like his system, it does no longer get a lot of airtime.

BS5 is just stunning, use it 50 % for N.Radio and 50 % for N.Music. Although I am looking forward to have a bit more control from link room, I like MOTS very much, you hear a lot of songs at great quality you have not heard for a longtime.

My audio setup is BL1 (4x), BL2 in main room, BL3 in link room 1 and another pair of BL1 in link room 2. Distributing sound with BS5 is a delight !

• 10-26-2009 2:50 PM In reply to

• Teletom
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-09-2007
    • the Netherlands
    • Posts 111
    • Gold Member

So, apparently quite a few BS5 owners already enjoyed N-music and N-radio through a Beoport system which they had before. I am curious to know if you find the sound quality with the BS5 system (much) better than through Beoport, of course assuming the speakers have not been changed.

• 10-26-2009 4:31 PM In reply to

Stan:
    I didn't feel like re-ripping 200 cds (I did re-rip my 50 or so very favorites, and will re-rip others if I find I'm unhappy with the audio quality of lame standard encoded mp3s - so far, I haven't found this necessary)

What rate did you encode at ... I used 192 kbps at 44.1 khz ... I am not looking forward to re-capturing 500+ CDs

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 10-26-2009 7:00 PM In reply to

seethroughyou:

peter2, is there another (2nd) dust modification kit coming??

Only aware of the one kit...and waiting for my dealer to install this.

P

• 10-27-2009 3:39 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Olof:

No, I sold mine and haven't regretted the sale. Sure it looked good - like most B&O kit - but I don't spend £4000 on kit to sit in the corner looking good. I also need practicality.

I would get another BeoSound 4 again though.

• 10-27-2009 10:22 AM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

elephant:

What rate did you encode at ... I used 192 kbps at 44.1 khz ... I am not looking forward to re-capturing 500+ CDs

I encoded at ~256kbps (I used the lame program on mac and used the --standard switch - Early on, I did some comparisons between iTunes MP3 and Lame MP3, and found that Lame sounded better).  To my ears, this is fine for most rock/pop... especially music that I don't much listen to with a critical ear.  For classical, MP3 doesn't cut it.

If I were you, I'd re-rip my most favorite 50 CDs and then copy the rest over as is and re-rip as necessary... Big Smile

As for the sound quality between BeoPort and BS5, the BS5 is better (same speakers).  I haven't done blind comparisons, but when I had the BeoPort, I would usually grab the CD if I was really into listening vs. background music.  I don't find myself doing that today (even for the MP3s).  Then again, you can probably equal or better the BS5 with the addition of a DAC to bypass the computer's sound card (the weak link in the BeoPort audio path).

Stan

• 10-30-2009 4:43 AM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

Yes, I would buy it again.

The userinterface has still room for improvements but I'm happy with my Beosound 5.
    The controller invites you everytime "come on, touch me!" :)

Page 1 of 1 (21 items)