in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 12-01-2009 3:58 PM by GuyHui . 17 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-21-2009 6:02 PM

New Beocom 5 phone?

http://gizmodo.com/5386725/bang--olufsen-beocom-5-home-phone-also-does-voip

hmmmmm.......

• 10-21-2009 11:44 PM In reply to

Re: New Beocom 5 phone?

Yes, I saw it on Gizmodo a few minutes ago... and then there it was, on the B&O website.  Has it been there for a long time?

• 10-22-2009 4:42 AM In reply to

I believe it was also present at the unveiling of the BV 10-40.  As I haven't seen it IRL, I don't know if it's nice, but from what I've seen, I doubt that I'll be bringing out my Gold Card to buy it. It just doesn't seem that nice to me.

• 10-26-2009 4:26 PM In reply to

Any idea about the price?
    Do you need Beoline 2 or can I use my old Beoline base?

/Ola

• 10-26-2009 4:33 PM In reply to

B&Ola:
    Do you need Beoline 2 or can I use my old Beoline base?

this has been discussed on other threads - I think it depends how old "old" is .....

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 10-26-2009 4:39 PM In reply to

Whilst B&O have launched the BeoLine 2 and the Beocom 5 together which will allow up to 8 handsets to be connected and storage for up to 400 names/numbers as well as a two phone line capability. You can have fixed lines or VOIP (Broadband) lines or a combination of both.

You can use the Beocom 5 with existing PSTN or BeoLine bases, but clearly the storage of names/numbers will be limited to 200 listings for those bases.

It is also possible to connect an existing handset either a BeoCom2 and/or a BeoCom 6000 to a BeoLine 2 base, but you would only have a single line functionality.

Regards Keith....

• 10-26-2009 6:15 PM In reply to

B&O will need to make a correction in their marketing concerning the VoIP aspect of the BeoCom 5.

The BeoCom 5 (or better.. the BeoLine 2) does not do any VoIP out of the box. It just has 2 PSTN lines. If you want to use VoIP on the BeoCom 5 (or any other PSTN phone).. you will need to first buy an ATA (analogue telephone adapter). In this ATA you can configure your VoiP settings and then connect the BeoCom 5.

Eventhough it's stated on the B&O website that you can connect your LAN (Internet connection) directly to the BeoCom 5 I'm pretty sure that this is not the case.

The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

• 10-26-2009 6:19 PM In reply to

Karel Uyttendaele:
    I'm pretty sure that this is not the case.

Why?

• 10-26-2009 6:57 PM In reply to

PhilLondon:

Karel Uyttendaele:
    I'm pretty sure that this is not the case.

Why?

Because of the fact that there are only RJ11 connectors on the BeoLine 2; and no RJ45 ethernet connectors... and there's NO Voice over IP configuration possible on the BeoCom 5. In my very humble opinion.. the persons doing the marketing for the BeoCom 5 f***ed it up! Big time!

The race for quality has no finish line- so technically, it's more like a death march.

• 10-26-2009 7:06 PM In reply to

Keith,

I think you are about the only person (including B&O itself!) who was ever able to make a meaningful and correct distinction between the Euro Mk1s, Mk2s, Beolines, etc., and the US Beocom 1 and its associated US Beoline which was never the Euro Beoline.

The manual and materials for BeoCom 5 make no reference to the US BeoCom 1 and US BeoLine.  Any thoughts?

• 10-26-2009 7:13 PM In reply to

Karel Uyttendaele:

the persons doing the marketing for the BeoCom 5 f***ed it up! Big time!

I agree!  By the incredibly silly standard they used, they could have said that the BeoCom 5 is a satellite phone, an IMMARSAT phone, a Skype phone, a Bluetooth Gateway phone, etc., when, by all lights, it is simply a two-line phone... you can just plug any sort of interface box into either or even both lines and then by such a broad definition, it can be anything you want it to be!

But this is silly, because any old phone meets the exact same standard.

Instance: By B&O's standard, my BeoCom 1 is a cellular phone! —because on Line 1 we have a good 'ole phone line and on Line 2 we have an xLink BTTN, so that when any of our mobile phones ring while at home, we can pick up Line 2 and chat from our BeoCom 1 house phones while using our cellphones as the connection medium.

• 10-26-2009 8:32 PM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2007
    • Atlanta, USA
    • Posts 318
    • Founder

XavierItzmann:

The manual and materials for BeoCom 5 make no reference to the US BeoCom 1 and US BeoLine.  Any thoughts?

Not compatible at all (2.4Ghz vs DECT 1.9Ghz).  My US Beoline, unfortunately, is going to be tossed (along with my two Beocom1s) to make room for the new system.  I could keep them I guess but having two wireless phone systems going at once seems to defeats the point of an integrated system.

I might be tempted to pick up some used beocom 6000s to mix in.  Do you think the euro BC6000 handsets would be compatible with the US cradle/charger/battery?

-Michael

• 10-26-2009 8:40 PM In reply to

I have a Beo6000 with an extra charging base (and a new battery)  - the phone is hardly used since I went completely cellular a few years back.  Any interest in a trade?

-michael

• 11-26-2009 1:33 AM In reply to

Michael:

Not compatible at all (2.4Ghz vs DECT 1.9Ghz).  My US Beoline, unfortunately, is going to be tossed (along with my two Beocom1s) to make room for the new system.  I could keep them I guess but having two wireless phone systems going at once seems to defeats the point of an integrated system.

Went to see the dealer tonight.  Agreed with you that Beocom 1/Beoline 1 is incompatible with Beocom 5/Beoline 2 "because Beocom 5 is DECT 6.0".  However he indicated the Beolines, to be installed next to each other in the backwall of a closet behind a bookcase, will not interfere with each other's signal [2.4 vs. 1.9 as you say].

At first I was very put off by the idea of installing yet another box (the Beoline 2).  But our home is small (i.e., no need for the intercom facility) and I enjoy having a range of different B&O phones in each room —I wouldn't consider getting rid of our BC 2400 with A/V remote, BC 3, and BC 1.  

So we ordered the speakerphone base, the BL 2, and one BC 5.  Delivery is expected in mid-December.

• 12-01-2009 8:09 AM In reply to

Hi hello dear beofans,

Do you know the price for the Beocom5 ?

In Paris, I got different prices like 790 euros, 650 euros, 690 euros...I am wondering what is the best price you have been told ?

Cheers,

Guy

--= "Everything gets done with Patience" =-- --= "Less is More" - Mies Van der Rohe"

--= BV10 46", BL8K, BL4K, BL2, BS Ouverture, BC6000 (Mk3), BT1100, Beo4 , A8 and ...the Atomic Floyd "Airjax+Mic" earphones =--

• 12-01-2009 9:42 AM In reply to

600 euro's

• 12-01-2009 12:25 PM In reply to

I don't have my invoice in front of me but what I purchased on Saturday works about like this:

1. Beocom 5 handset $360

2. Beocom 5 speaker stand/charger $210

3. Beoline 2 antenna unit 215

$785 + 7% State and City tax = $839.95 - $100 Christmas B&O Card = $739.95

= €490.36

Then again this phone would not work in countries that use the ISDN standard.  Also, they sold it to me with a 110v power plug; use in Europe would require an adapter or replacement plug (IIRC, the transformer itself can handle 220v/110v).

• 12-01-2009 3:58 PM In reply to

Thanks.

In Paris, price tends to start from 650 to 790 euros.

Need to negociate though.

Guy

--= "Everything gets done with Patience" =-- --= "Less is More" - Mies Van der Rohe"

--= BV10 46", BL8K, BL4K, BL2, BS Ouverture, BC6000 (Mk3), BT1100, Beo4 , A8 and ...the Atomic Floyd "Airjax+Mic" earphones =--

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)