in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-26-2009 6:19 AM by ipaul. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-18-2009 8:05 AM

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

BeoVision 3-32 almost dead tube, then wait, it's all better again!?

Hi all,

To my dismay about 3 weeks ago i noticed the picture on my BV3 was different, i switched to a source where there was nothing plugged in, and noticed the screen was flickering faintly through the black, and i could see a red glow to the left and right edges of the screen, HORRIFYING. :(

Tonight i was watching tv and i thought 'hey the picture looks better tonight', switched to V.AUX and sure enough the red glow is gone and black is black as black again... what is going on?

I was hoping my BV3 would last longer than 0356 days of being in ~video mode~

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 10-19-2009 7:47 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Re: BeoVision 3-32 almost dead tube, then wait, it's all better again!?

No-one has anything to say about a tube seemingly dying and then returning to normal? No-one?

That's rather odd...

• 10-19-2009 8:33 AM In reply to

• kallasr
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Willich, NRW, Germany
    • Posts 1,077
    • Founder

Well, after 3 dead tubes (Avant, BV 3-32, MX7000) I gave up on CRTs....

Ralf

My Beo: Beosound 3000, Beolab 4000, Beo 4 DVD,  Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000, Beovox S45.2 with Stands, Beosystem 7000 black with Beolink 7000, Beolink 1000, F1000 (3 cubes), Beovox 5000, Beovox 3000, Attyca 1.

• 10-25-2009 9:49 AM In reply to

• tompa
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 06-30-2007
    • Sweden
    • Posts 94
    • Bronze Member

Hi,

it probebly the tube (CRT) that are defective

/Tompa

• 10-25-2009 4:33 PM In reply to

Indeed: sounds like the tube unfortunately.

Not too common as far as i know with RF tubes, but recently i bought a BV3-32 with the same problem.

Don't know if you can do repairs or otherwise have a friend into this, it might be an option to try the 'tapping' way to fix it again (this occasionaly works with the curved ESF tubes in Avant and AV5).

Other option might be getting a new tube, they go for very cheap these days (not from B&O), i put a new tube in mine but i live in NL so don't know if this is an option overthere.

PS: of course, first, if this occurs more/often determine that it is the tube, it might be something else too !!

• 10-25-2009 5:24 PM In reply to

I know this is unlikely, but you didn't have a strong magnetic source or microwave anywhere near the TV on a temporary basis (or in an adjoining room on the other side of a stud wall)? These can cause the symptoms you describe, but the problem usually goes after removing/relocating the magnetic source and then degaussing the TV (which may take several switching on and off cycles).

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 10-25-2009 6:55 PM In reply to

• richtoy
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 09-20-2007
    • Valkenburg, Netherlands
    • Posts 184
    • Gold Member

Well I brought a BV3/32 with a defective tube from Lifestyle AV (red flyback lines visible on menu screen) and fixed it using a homemade tube rejuvenator (40watt bulb and the mains Whistle)

This first attempt lasted 3 weeks before the internal short re-appeared so I attempted a mechanical fix.  This involved my son and I holding the set with its back down towards the floor and gently tapping it against the floor.  This worked and the fault has not re-appeared in 3 months (3 hours PS3 per day) Big Smile

You will find more info here http://www.repairfaq.org/samnew/tvfaq/tvcrtshorts.htm on CRT shorts...

Richard

Some of my B&O: BV3/32, MX7000, MX5500, LX5500, MX4000, BM8000, BM6000, Overture, BL8000, BM6000 Quad, BM4400, BM3400, BG-CDX, BM3000, BM1001, BM1200, BM1600, BM1700, BM1500, BM1400, BM2400, BM2300, BM4500, BM4000, BVM70, BVS45-2, BVS60, BC7700, BM2200, BM1900, BG8002, BM1202, BVPenta, BVP45

• 10-25-2009 9:03 PM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

richtoy:

Well I brought a BV3/32 with a defective tube from Lifestyle AV (red flyback lines visible on menu screen) and fixed it using a homemade tube rejuvenator (40watt bulb and the mains Whistle)

This first attempt lasted 3 weeks before the internal short re-appeared so I attempted a mechanical fix.  This involved my son and I holding the set with its back down towards the floor and gently tapping it against the floor.  This worked and the fault has not re-appeared in 3 months (3 hours PS3 per day) Big Smile

You will find more info here http://www.repairfaq.org/samnew/tvfaq/tvcrtshorts.htm on CRT shorts...

Richard

facsinating! Thanks for the tips guys, and i did not know that tubes were availbale outside of B&O, how would i find one when i need to? Yes i think it de-gaussed itself after a few switch ons, but there was nothing moved at all, nothing different... so it is quite strange, it is at a window and i live on a main road, maybe something was disturbed when a  ig truck went past..?

• 10-25-2009 11:26 PM In reply to

Maybe the Beolab 1s are too close???

(or too loud? tee hee) Stick out tongue

In saying that, I've never had a tube go with all of my Mxs or Avants or 3-32... Sounds like it's something magnetic?

My B&O: 2009 Catalogue and Pricelist

• 10-26-2009 6:19 AM In reply to

Dave, i'd just keep an eye on it if it comes back or not and just not worry too much about it yet :).

Than if it comes back (and you're confident to work inside a tv !!!!! otherwise have someone to do so) try tapping the tube end to see if this has an influence.

Once established it is a fault in the tube you could try putting the tv on the floor with the screen facing the floor, unplug it, put external supply on the cathode heather (10-12 V or so to make it glow more than normal) and tapping the side(s) of the tube for a while.

Apparently the problem is sometimes caused by dirt in the tube which in this way sometimes falls out.

If this is succesfull the tube shouldn't be 'tap-sensitive' anymore.

Recently i fixed an AV5 tube this way (but nobody knows for how long this will work).

The tube in the RF BV3 and Avant can be replaced of course, it's a LG-Philps tube and because of low demand here in Europe available for not much money but i don't know how to go about that in Oz :).

But again: leave the tapping etc on the tube by someone who knows about woring on tv's otherwise maybe more damage is done (including yourself) !!

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)