in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-18-2009 4:53 PM by elephant. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-17-2009 9:53 PM

Beoport (PC-2) without a computer/system

I have an old PC-2 (with an IR eye)

Can I use it for audio in thru the mini jack (like an iPod) and then drive the Powerlink to my speakers?

If so, how.  It sounds easy, but I could not get it working

Do I need to plug it into a computer (with a USB) to set it up?

-michael

• 10-17-2009 10:36 PM In reply to

Re: Beoport (PC-2) without a computer/system

Won't work. Designed to link PC to B&O system. Requires both a computer and a BeoSound. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 10-18-2009 3:24 AM In reply to

TripEnglish:
    Requires both a computer and a BeoSound.

Just a precision Trip (and we've already had this discussion ;-) ), it requires a PC, but does NOT require a Beosound.

The Beoport can be set in Option 2 and it behaves as a Audio master.

P.

• 10-18-2009 5:59 AM In reply to

Why does it need a computer?

Does it need one just to set it up or does it need it to actually run?

Why cant I just set it up - and then disconnect the USB cable?

-michael

• 10-18-2009 6:04 AM In reply to

The Beoport box has no "brain" on its own and all the logic is done by the computer.

You need a Beolink Active box, with an IR eye (a different type of IR eye actually) to work in an autonomous manner.

You can sometimes get some cheap ones on eBay.

• 10-18-2009 6:11 AM In reply to

I dont understand

Why does it need a "brain"

I just need a passive mini-jack (not sure what they are called) audio in (like Ipod) to Powerlink out to drive the speakers?

please explain more as I might not understand my PC2...

-michael

• 10-18-2009 6:18 AM In reply to

A Beoport (Beolink PC2) is used to integrate a PC into a Beolink setup.

You can listen to your Hifi (CD, RADIO) and TV sources on your computer, and you can listen to your PC sources (N.MUSIC, N.RADIO) sources on your main Hifi and TV.

If you want to connect an iPod to a pair of speaker, you just need a plug adapter, not a PC2.

• 10-18-2009 6:24 AM In reply to

I know I can get an adaptor for the iPod and go directly to the line it - but this is all part of my problems getting the Beolab 2 working (which does not have a line in).  I am just trying to understand what and how the PC2 works (or in my case - doesnt)

-michael

• 10-18-2009 6:28 AM In reply to

Because it needs to be connected to a PC running the Beoplayer software.

You do not need a PC2 to connect an iPod to a Beolab speakers, you need an small adapter. Minijack<->Powerlink.

• 10-18-2009 6:59 AM In reply to

I think we are getting closer.  I have no interest in the Beoplayer software.

Is this minijack<->powerlink the same adapter that I use for my minijack-Aux input?

(the problem though, it that they are different genders - I think)

If these are are the same (and I already have a couple - 1 with L/R inputs and 1 with L/R input and L/R output) - can I put it directly into the Powerlink input on my speakers (and in particular the BL2)?

Still interested in better understanding why and what a PC2 is????

-michael

• 10-18-2009 7:06 AM In reply to

I do not have this adapter myself, so I cannot help.

For the PC2, it is a great product, if you have a PC with Windows. 

I have explained to you earlier what it was, but if this is not enough, it is documented on the Beo website. The software is available for free, so you can install it and test it.

• 10-18-2009 8:26 AM In reply to

I do greatly appreciate your responses.

I have tried to get as much information as possible about this - and as usual with most B&O stuff it is usual black box stuff with documentation that is close to worthless.  Maybe that is why it is sitting unused in my closet.

Just trying to figure out if it can be used outside of the Windows (Mac?) software systems and if so how...... in otherwords, does it have a role in my digital music system that I am trying to not make computer based.

-michael

• 10-18-2009 8:32 AM In reply to

The PC2 DOES NOT work without a computer. 

There is a Mac version of the software, but it is limited, and does not work fully with the latest version of iTunes. 

B&O will bring soon a device that allow integration of iPod in a ML system.

What is your setup, what digital device would you like to integrate?

p.

• 10-18-2009 4:45 PM In reply to

PhilLondon:
    does not work fully with the latest version of iTunes

Phil, do you have a list of those defects(/lack of perfections)?

mfirst:
     trying to figure out if it can be used outside of the Windows (Mac?) software systems and if so how...... in otherwords, does it have a role in my digital music system that I am trying to not make computer based.

Michael, one example of why the Beoport uses a PC (Windows or MacOSX) is to gain access to the internet for Net-Radio ... on Windows it uses the BeoPlayer to do this, with MaxOSX it uses iTunes.  Also you use your PC to upgrade the firmware of the Beoport.

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 10-18-2009 4:48 PM In reply to

Color keys and number keys do not work with the latest iTunes versions...

• 10-18-2009 4:53 PM In reply to

Thanks Phil ... features I had not used so I had not noticed were missing

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)