in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-17-2009 11:35 AM by mfirst. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-15-2009 7:47 PM

Beolabs and non-B&O preamp (McI Mx-130)

ok - so I went and did it.

Got a used McIntosh pre-amp (will not editorialize)

Right now I have my inputs (AppleTV, DVD audio, etc) going into the Mc

Now comes the hard part.

right now I have the L and R going into the Aux of my BS3200 which is driving the beolab8000 and BL2

There are separate L/R/Sub outputs on the McI (it actually has a 6ch output) - is it best to run RCA cables from the McI directly to the LineIn on the speakers?

Will they power-on/off based upon a signal from the pre-amp

thoughts?

-michael

• 10-16-2009 12:16 AM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

Re: Beolabs and non-B&O preamp (McI Mx-130)

Your 8k's wil have no trouble at all with this arrangement.  Run the RCA's, and se the near-by switch to 'line'.  The BeoLab 2 is a bit bore of an issue.  There is no RCA input on the BL-2, and no 'line' input setting.  Here in the Colonies B&O provide a locally sourced relay interface which will do the trick, but I don't know if its available in all markets.  It uses an external transformer for power, so if you got your hands on one you ought to be able to make it work.

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 10-16-2009 8:58 AM In reply to

mfirst:
    Got a used McIntosh pre-amp (will not editorialize)

Please do! I would love to hear what you think. Though committed (pun intended?) to B&o, I would have a use for the MX-130 or similar in a non-B&o theater/media room.

• B&o bottle opener
  • 10-16-2009 4:02 PM In reply to

So far - for the 2 hours that I have had time to play with it - I love it.

It is beautiful!  Built like a tank, solid, but smooth.... the remote is a little different.

But for a kit 20 years/old - it looks flawless! (more to follow)

If I hook the output to my RCA-Line In on the BL8000 and then run the Powerlink (or is it Masterline) from the BL8000 to the BL2?

Also, since there are "volume" controls on both the pre-amp and the BS3200 - any thoughts on how they should be set to avoid distortion or more importantly damage to the BS3200?

-michael

• 10-16-2009 11:36 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

I guess that I misunderstood you earlier.  If you want to run the speakers from the 3200, then you just need B&O part number 6270302 and an RCA cable.  Run from one of the Tape-Out connections on the Mac to the Aux port on the 3200.  Powerlink from the 3200 to the BL-2 and from there to the 8k's.  Easy as pie!

If, on the other hand you want to run the speakers from the Mac, then you need a 5-pin DIN to 4-RCA adaptor, plugged into the 3200's Aux port, and connected to one of the Mac,s tape inputs, RCA's from the Front/Main outputs to the 8K's, and the relay I mentioned before from the Sub-out to the BL-2.

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 10-17-2009 11:35 AM In reply to

I want to run the speakers FROM the McI preamp.  I currently have them running from the 3200 in the standard way.  But I want to take the 3200 out of the picture (other than use it as a CD player and harddrive music input to the pre-amp).

I have several of the 5pin-DIN to 4-RCA adaptors and use them as described. 

It sounds like the BL2 is the problem - where do you get the relays (in the US)?  How much do they or should they cost?  What exactly do they do.  I have an old PC-Link thing - can that help in any way?

-michael

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)