in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-15-2009 12:28 PM by vikinger. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-14-2009 3:00 AM

Standard Definition versus High Definition

an impressive site.

roll your mouse over the images to go into High Defintion.

http://www.cornbread.org/FOTRCompare/index.html

• 10-14-2009 3:17 AM In reply to

Re: Standard Definition versus High Definition

Interesting! But at full screen the SD images look a bit fuzzy, and the computer viewing distance is not comparable with a normal TV viewing distance. Is this more applicable to just viewing on a PC????? (Not sure what conclusions to draw!) Hmm

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 10-14-2009 3:41 AM In reply to

you could get a similar effect by turning up the sharpness on your telly

imo hd is vastly overrated unless you have a BIG screen

popgear is grate™

• 10-14-2009 7:24 AM In reply to

I could discern worthwhile differences in scenes 2, 3, 6, 8 and 9 but the rest were "so what?"

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 10-14-2009 11:56 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

elephant:

I could discern worthwhile differences in scenes 2, 3, 6, 8 and 9 but the rest were "so what?"

Sure, but that's on a computer monitor. Ramp that up to a 55 or 60" TV and you'd see a much bigger difference. SD would become more pixelated.

• 10-14-2009 12:09 PM In reply to

No real visible difference - only sound

• 10-14-2009 12:26 PM In reply to

There is a huge difference between Sd and HD. No question about it. I have a 42" pioneer Kuro plasma which is truly superb both in HD and SD.
    Though the SD is definitely lacking in resolution, it's still very watchable. The HD from my BD player really makes this tv shine.

When we are starting to move from 40" screens to 50+" screens, the difference will be more and more noticeable. Those bigger screen will no longer be able to display SD images to a very satisfying level I am sure (haven't seen one yet that would do it for me....)

• 10-14-2009 12:35 PM In reply to

Well I spent some time looking at one of the latest Samsung LED Tvs today, 40" and 50" screens and I have to say the picture quality was amazing, especially when playing HD content. They are also 200hz sets which shows. I think the BV10-40 will be a cracking picture based on what I saw today. It really is so difficult to keep up with technologies, they just change so quickly.

• 10-14-2009 9:32 PM In reply to

moxxey:

elephant:

Sure, but that's on a computer monitor. Ramp that up to a 55 or 60" TV and you'd see a much bigger difference. SD would become more pixelated.

sorry :) that was the point I was trying to make, I should be less cryptic

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 10-15-2009 2:17 AM In reply to

The LOTR serie on DVD has the highest bitrate possible. 3 hours are spread over 2 dvds. Very acceptable on SD, bad example to compare.

In general, normal DVD vs BR, the pq is so obvious, even on a 32 inch. It is like comparing VHS vs DVD. Period!

• 10-15-2009 6:15 AM In reply to

Absolutely agree.

BD on my 50" Pioneer final generation TV (KRP-500M) is phenomenal. DVD is OK but there is a clear light years difference between the two.

JR

• 10-15-2009 10:21 AM In reply to

yep , 50 inch would show the diff.

i was alluding to the supposed hd ts that are c. 32-37 ie; pointless

i have a 40 incher and it's just not big enough imo

the pioneer is a superb tv , wish i had one :)

popgear is grate™

• 10-15-2009 12:28 PM In reply to

Emerging from Lime Street Station, Liverpool, you are now faced by a curvy screen that must be 10m high and 50 to 100m long. It is showing ads and movie clips etc. The screen is so bright, even in full sunlight, that drivers find it distracting and dazzling.

Great HD images when viewed from 100m, but just a tad pixelated close-up.  I just marvel at how technology keeps striding on: this screen appeared quite quickly and seems almost to be some sort of flexible material stretched over a frame following the street front curve with a top to bottom curve as well. Maybe B&O will bring out a rolled up stretchable screen for full wall images at some point (but you might need to stand up the garden to take in the full view!)

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)