in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 11-06-2009 8:01 AM by XavierItzmann. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-13-2009 6:46 AM

• k984942
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 11-10-2008
    • London, UK
    • Posts 194
    • Bronze Member

New Lighting Solutions

Hi All,

I’m bracing myself for a barrage of’ we’ve been through this 100 times’!

However, I was wondering if there have been any developments in the Beo4/A9 controllable lighting solution arena?

I’ve ready many threads on the subject, listing all the various solutions out there, e.g. Lutron Rania, JBMedia etc etc. I was just hoping that there may be something that ticks all the boxes:

1. Reasonably priced (£225 for a single gang B&O compatible Rania when the non-B&O version is less than half price just annoys me!)

2. Good quality, both inherently and to the touch

3. A direct replacement of a standard UK wall switch with no additional wiring or work necessary.

4. Comes in one gang and two gang versions (I believe the Lutron B&O Rania comes in one gang only – please correct me if I’m wrong)

5. Good response to a Beo4 – I’m just not used to having to point a remote control anymore!

Any advice would be gratefully received

32" RF VCR Avant, 2 x 28" VCR Avant, DVD1, Beocom 6000, Beo5, A9 Keyring!

• 10-13-2009 7:03 AM In reply to

Re: New Lighting Solutions

You are correct, there has been much discussion on this subject over the years particular after B&O stopped selling the LC2.

If you want to control any of these lighting products other than the B&O compatible Lutron and similar with the Beo4 without a converter then the options still remain small. However if you are willing to move to using a Beo5, then your options increase dramatically including control of a double Lutron Rania (non B&O compatible version) because you can programme the Beo5 with 3rd party IR control.

Regards Keith....

• 10-13-2009 8:26 AM In reply to

Aludim or Bossdim (which are actually the same product) can be a perfect replacement for the LC2.

• 10-13-2009 9:28 AM In reply to

• k984942
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 11-10-2008
    • London, UK
    • Posts 194
    • Bronze Member

Thanks for the tip PhilLondon but I'm more looking for light switches on the walls rather than a dimmer for a table lamp etc

Thanks for your help none the less

• 10-13-2009 10:04 AM In reply to

• Toubro
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 263
    • Founder

This is a danish standard size Beo4/5 compatible dimmer for wallmounting. Unfortunately this is the only solution I know that is this small. I don't know about how good it is at receiving the signal, but these would definitely be my choice.

It is also touch sensitive.

You can read more about it here: http://shop.oneremote.dk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2456&osCsid=q9ihtki0omc3cj8sb2akq5o1j7

Although other danish webshops has them for half the price of the above link.

• 10-13-2009 2:13 PM In reply to

• k984942
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 11-10-2008
    • London, UK
    • Posts 194
    • Bronze Member

Looks promising Toubro!!

Does anyone have any further information about them?

Anyone already use them?

Do they tick my boxes (especially easy installation)?

• 10-15-2009 8:48 AM In reply to

• k984942
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 11-10-2008
    • London, UK
    • Posts 194
    • Bronze Member

Re: New Lighting Solutions - BossDim Wall

Looks like we may have a winner!

Bosscom have just come out with the BossDim Wall!

Looks like it ticks all the boxes except the size which I believe is a little smaller than UK standard.

• 10-15-2009 8:55 AM In reply to

You have to be a bit carefull as well as in the UK the wiring is different and does not necessaraly give you access to both the Neutral and the Live cables.

• 10-15-2009 9:11 AM In reply to

I agree with Phil in that UK house wiring electrical standards do not normally have a "neutral" wire in the switch box.

Equally most recently designed dimmers do not need a neutral wire because they are wired "inline" in the live connection.

Regards Keith....

• 10-15-2009 10:45 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

For goodness sake B&O you must see there is a demand for lighting control, so why not simply produce an LC3?

• 10-15-2009 11:10 AM In reply to

• k984942
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 11-10-2008
    • London, UK
    • Posts 194
    • Bronze Member

Hear hear!!

Couldn't agree more Kokomo!

I've spent so much time now looking into solutions that never quite fit the bill.

I wanted IR control of my table lamps. Best solution I could find - the innovus dimmers which hum so badly I'm considering removing them from the bedroom. Alternative solution = none!

I wanted IR control of my ceiling lights in the bedroom. Best solution - Lutron Rania (B&O compatible). These are £225 for a one gang switch!! Thats absolutely ridiculous when you can by great quality metal faced IR dimmers from dozens of manufacturers for much less than £50!!!!

I wanted IR control of my ceiling lights in the living room (2 lights). Best solution - two Lutron Rania single switches. Thats £450 (excluding a faceplate to accommodate this weird arrangement) just to dim the lights via B&O remote control! The BossDim I have mentioned above will only allow independent control of two lights via Beo4/5 and NOT via the switch itself + each unit is £246!!

I'm rapidly residing myself to the fact that the only reasonable solution would involve having an additional remote control and forgetting the dream of using my Beo4/A9 for everything.

Aaarrrggggghhhh!

• 10-15-2009 11:37 AM In reply to

- A lot of LC2s are available from eBay...

- Yes the Innovus hum really badly.

- I'd like to try the Aludim, as, like the Innovus emulate the way LC2 are working.

Lutron Rania do work with a Beo4 but I do not think they work in the same way as the LC2, so it can be a problem when you mix 2 types of dimmers in the same room.

• 10-16-2009 3:40 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

PhilLondon:

- A lot of LC2s are available from eBay...

- Yes the Innovus hum really badly.

- I'd like to try the Aludim, as, like the Innovus emulate the way LC2 are working.

Lutron Rania do work with a Beo4 but I do not think they work in the same way as the LC2, so it can be a problem when you mix 2 types of dimmers in the same room.

I think that makes my point. B&O - produce an LC3!

• 10-16-2009 7:50 AM In reply to

k984942:

Looks promising Toubro!!

Does anyone have any further information about them?

Anyone already use them?

Do they tick my boxes (especially easy installation)?

Hi

I  use these particular dimmers but am also located in Denmark.

The dimmers are very functional, however does not function like the LC2.

The are controlled by the colourbuttons on your Beo4, so only 4 dimmers in each room. You can turn the light on/off and dimm. No lightscenes etc.

Reception is not that great either, you have to point your Beo4 towards the dimmer. The Beo5 works better though..

BV7-40 MK IV, BL5´s, BL3´s, BL 3500, BL7-4, BS3000, BC 6-23, BV 1, BS3.

• 11-04-2009 4:47 PM In reply to

• StUrrock
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-04-2008
    • Cambridgeshire
    • Posts 219
    • Bronze Member

Has anyone tried the RAKO B&O interface or the Boscom light dimmer?

• 11-04-2009 5:05 PM In reply to

• eddglynn
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • London SE1
    • Posts 11
    • Founder

I've got the Rako. It works differently to the the LC2; you get light pictures 1 to 4, up down and off the same as on Rako's wall controller.

Edward Glynn London

• 11-05-2009 3:58 AM In reply to

Hi, does anyone know where I can find a retailer that sells the Bossdim in London (or anywhere online in the UK)? I just bought a flat in a converted church which makes it very difficult/expensive to install a Rania system. The Bossdim looks like quite a nice option as I mainly use my lamps in my lounge and dining room.

Filed under: ,
  • 11-05-2009 4:52 AM In reply to

One of the Bossdim is in fact an Aludim from Lintronic.

If this is the one you want you can get it directly from here:

http://www.lintronic.dk/asp/OrderSystem_Products.asp

• 11-06-2009 8:01 AM In reply to

k984942:

I’ve ready many threads on the subject, listing all the various solutions out there, e.g. Lutron Rania, JBMedia etc etc. I was just hoping that there may be something that ticks all the boxes:

1. Reasonably priced (£225 for a single gang B&O compatible Rania when the non-B&O version is less than half price just annoys me!)

Hey, at least you've got boxes to tick, with a plethora of Bosscom, Lutron Rania, Aludim and what not on your 220V side of the pond!

Over here in 110V-land, we've got one option and one alone: Lutron Grafik Eye.  And as most Lutron distributors over here positively refuse to sell the B&O version (though it shows up on their catalogs), chances are you have to have your Grafik Eye installed by a B&O technician at a stupendous markup.

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)