in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-13-2009 3:48 PM by The_Beonic_Man. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-12-2009 5:55 PM

Interesting take on a new TV design...

http://www.studiofrst.com/works/169431.html 

• 10-12-2009 6:17 PM In reply to

Re: Interesting take on a new TV design...

(blots spit-up from chin)

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 10-12-2009 6:44 PM In reply to

Interesting design that tries too hard!

Doesn't do anything for me, and accommodating various screen formats is much more easily done with a single rectangle.

Could look interesting on a stepped shelf? Unsure

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 10-12-2009 8:29 PM In reply to

oh that is one hell of a 'dead pixel' ...

seriously though, when I read that the DVD was visible I thought it might have been spinning in the bottom right, but it is not ... probably a good thing anyway: would be very distracting from the real show on the screen

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 10-12-2009 11:31 PM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Greater Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

Strike that post. I just realised that what I thought was the box was just some ill-conceived presentation form, lol.

However, it truly is an awful design. The "designer" (or should I say Photoshop doodler?) obviously have no clue as to how screens are manufactured, seeing as he thinks it would be neat to fit two of them into one box. You'd get a bigger 4:3 image had the corner not been cut off. It's a solution looking for a problem.

I went through the site to see what else he had come up with, and frankly, that guy is nowhere close to Applele (not a misspelling) when it comes to building castles in the sky. He needs to study some industrial design and at least read up on the technology involved. Otherwise it's just someone with way too much time on his hands who fiddles a bit too much with PS.

(Deep breath).

• 10-13-2009 4:52 AM In reply to

Some practical issues to this design:

• You can't hide the cables behind the glass base unless the TV is put against the wall.
    • Putting it against the wall would spoil the illusion of the glass base.
    • If your wall is not a flat surface, dust and dirt may build up between the glass base and the wall.
    It may look promising in Photoshop, but in the real world, I'm not so sure...

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 10-13-2009 9:13 AM In reply to

elephant:
    oh that is one hell of a 'dead pixel' ...

LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing

I just split my pants!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 10-13-2009 10:45 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

This is outside of the box, and i really really like it. I wish B&O were still more risque like this...

But, they're not. *sigh*

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 10-13-2009 10:51 AM In reply to

I agree Dave, I like it too. B&O do seem to be a lot safer than they used to, which is mostly boring. I put it down to David Lewis and his age. He's not as risque as he once was and other designers are carefully following in his latter footsteps, for safety measures I guess! Who knows? !!

• 10-13-2009 11:12 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

The economy and business is too scary these days i am guessing.

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 10-13-2009 3:48 PM In reply to

Shame. The more I think about it perhaps we have too high expectations these days? I mean, B&O is just B&O isn't it? Just because they have amazed us with great products in the past doesn't mean they can keep that up. Perhaps there were certain times where they shone through, for example the analogue age, but the digital age just isn't their forte. The 70s, 80s and the early 90s was a time when the Japanese took American designs and gave us minaturisation in mass produced marketplaces, while B&O concentrated on low key, solid built products with a flair for design that stood out from the crowd. They created their own place in the market. I am not so sure they have held onto that so much these days. Times have changed and technology has evolved at a much faster pace. I am not convinced B&O are in a market they understand much about these days.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)