in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 05-29-2007 6:28 AM by Flappo The Grate. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (23 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-16-2007 11:24 AM

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Apple TV - Using one with an Standard Def TV

Maybe this could be added to the FAQ section? Somebody was asking me how they could connect an Apple TV to their Avant, and after a quick browse on the net, I found this:

It's kinda pricey, but it would be worth it! Has anybody got an Apple TV? Experiences?

Weekly top artists:                   

• 04-16-2007 12:51 PM In reply to

Re: Apple TV - Using one with an SD TV

Fortunately in the USA, Avants have one digital input. My AppleTV works great. The next challenge is to get Lintronic to works perfectly. I have a Beo1 controlling all but fast scroll.
  • 04-16-2007 12:53 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

The AppleTV is being added to the BeoSystem 3 controller software, don't know about the Avants, but I suppose we'll have to wait and see!

What connection does the Avant have? Is it DVI or HDMI?

Weekly top artists:                   

• 04-16-2007 4:55 PM In reply to

The US-spec Avant has one component video input (presumably) for a set top box. There is a menu option for "generic" that allows the AppleTV to work perfectly. Again the limiting factor is the Remote Control issue.

BTW, AppleTV is great for audio (within the limits of compressed digital music). However, the Avant's excellent image shows the poor quality of video available from Itunes.

I've thought about BeoMedia, but it is quite expensive compared to AppleTV ($299 in the U.S.). I also wonder how much it would cost to upgrade the Avant to control BeoMedia if it is at all possible here in the U.S.). While I've not yet seen BeoMedia, I admit it is probably the "best" solution for B&O.

• 04-16-2007 5:01 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Not only audio, but also video. Also, High Definition is a possibility...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 04-16-2007 6:12 PM In reply to

The thing I enjoy most about the Apple TV is how much can be done to it. The addition of Codecs to allow it to play more video formats, the increase in HD space, the use of external devices through the USB port. It's so good to see an Apple product that can be modified to heavily.
  • 04-16-2007 6:44 PM In reply to

Certainly it does video. My point is that with a B&O TV you can see all the flaws in a less than great video source. Perhaps though as pointed out above, new codecs will mean HD video content. The current video quality from AppleTV falls somewhere b/t VHS and DVD. I think we all agree that it's hard to beat the image of a well mastered DVD on an Avant screen. I've yet to see the flat screens in any fashion other than just casual admiration, but until I get the $19,000 to upgrade, I'll continue to enjoy my Avant.

Similar criticisms can be made of compressed audio as well, though for my purposes mp3 files encoded at between 192 and 320 are good enough. For "serious" listening especially of classical music, I think CDs are still the way.

• 04-16-2007 7:21 PM In reply to

I have nothing but praise for the aTV, Its currently plugged into my BV6 via DVI.

If I get to replace my BV3 with a BV7, I guess it will move to the lounge.

Assuming the BV7 will have a Beosystem 3 in built soon, would that mean that it will masterlink around the house? And control via Beo4? Threads suggest yes which would be great.
  • 04-16-2007 10:58 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • New York, NY
    • Posts 176
    • Bronze Member

On the US Avant you can also use a Zektor HDS4 which is a component video switcher that the BeoSystem 1 has the ability to control.  You can select High Def sources for other inputs (ie. Toshiba HD-A1 in DVD, High Def STB in STB, Apple TV in V.Aux maybe?) and BeoSystem 1 will control which input the Zektor box will select as well as the component itself.  Of course, you plug all the other connections into the input you are trying to control.

It's a pretty sweet way of using multiple component sources with BeoSystem 1, which is limited to just one.

If Apple TV gets added to the Avant/BeoSystem 1/2 STB-C/CCDB then thats probably how it will have to work.

Store Manager Bang & Olufsen Broadway 927 Broadway New York, NY 10010
  • 04-17-2007 1:41 AM In reply to

OK, complete control of AppleTV with Beo4 and Lintronic. No true fast scrolling. Still waiting on that! Not completely intuitive, but all functions work perfectly. For fast scrolling I simply programmed the up and down commands to repeat 10 times. That's about one page at a time.

Next is Beo1 + Lintronic for AppleTV control. I know it'll work, just ran out of time. 

• 04-17-2007 7:42 PM In reply to

Just came across this item to convert Component to Composite (s-video).

http://www.svideo.com/appletv2tv.html

• 04-18-2007 5:00 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

S-Video is another option, but RGB will give a better picture. Plus the one at the top of the thread allows you to channel the audio down the scart as well.

Weekly top artists:                   

• 04-19-2007 8:13 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

Too bad it is not shipping yet (the US one... scarts are not usually found here).  I'd been holding off buying an appleTV because I didn't want to buy a new TV.  Problem solved (eventually).
  • 04-20-2007 10:52 AM In reply to

• Matt
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Posts 13
    • Bronze Member

The Apple TV has a ATI X1900 XT video card. So maybe this will work (the $49 solution Smile:

HDMI to DVI adapter

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/DVI-hdmi_adapt.html

And attach to this: 

Apple DVI to video adapter (works with the ATI X1900 XT card):

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=7434E310&nplm=M9267G%2FA

Matt

• 04-20-2007 11:54 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Are you sure it has an ATI chip? I could have sworn it had something from NVidea or something, you could be right though.

The whole HDMI > DVI > Video conversion thing seems a little clumsy, and I fail to see how it would work if the signal coming out the DVI converter was digital, which it must be if connecting through HDMI...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 04-20-2007 12:15 PM In reply to

• Luigi
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Figueres (Spain)
    • Posts 3,013
    • Founder

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/Community/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=4899&mid=15099#M15099

Luis

• 04-20-2007 12:16 PM In reply to

• Luigi
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Figueres (Spain)
    • Posts 3,013
    • Founder

Luis

• 04-20-2007 5:38 PM In reply to

It's an NVIDIA (GeForce Go 7300).
  • 04-27-2007 2:49 AM In reply to

I have ordered the cable from svideo mentioned in an earlier post.  It is supposed to ship the end of this month.  Once I have tried it with an AppleTV and Beovision Avant, I will post my comments.
  • 04-27-2007 3:59 AM In reply to

• Luigi
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Figueres (Spain)
    • Posts 3,013
    • Founder

• 04-28-2007 12:36 PM In reply to

Luigi:

Gracias Luis, pero yo no entendo español.

If I understand correctly. The cable from the link you provided will input Audio and RGB to a SCART equipped TV for just under 9 euro's.

Is not the Apple TV equipped with Component Video rather the RGB out? If this is the case one would first need a Component to RGB converter and I am sure those don't come cheap.

No matter where you go, there you are.
  • 04-30-2007 12:34 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

No, they aren't

View the first post in the thread to see. There is one there which will convert component to RGB and goes straight into the scart input, as well as carrying audio...

Weekly top artists:                   

• 05-29-2007 6:28 AM In reply to

excellent review of appletv

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/05/24/some_time_spent_with_apple_tv____an_in_depth_review.html

popgear is grate™

Page 1 of 1 (23 items)