in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-11-2007 5:00 PM by benjnz. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-10-2007 10:42 AM

Beovision 1 - to buy or not to buy ?

Hello, 

I would really like a B&O tv and as my budget is not big i have been drawn to a second hand Beovison 1. I love the deisgn and quality of the picture. But is it worth spending about £900 on this tv or should i buy a non- B&O (i know the unthinkable but it must be considered)? 

I look forward to your comments. 

Thanks

T.Gibbs
    Filed under:
  • 06-10-2007 10:54 AM In reply to

Re: Beovision 1 - to buy or not to buy ?

Please be aware there are a couple of different types of Beovision 1.
    The first was a stand alone model.
    Then there was a model that could be used as a ML slave linked TV.
    Furthermore some models are equiped with extra goodies;
    integrated motor for stand
    ML
    AR screen.

So first of all you should check the actual type of the BV1 before you exchange your money.
    Good luck.

PS: extra info on the Beovision 1 can be found elswhere on the main site.
    PS: better change pounds into euros in your post.
  • 06-10-2007 11:02 AM In reply to

• Beobird
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 506
    • Gold Member

The Beovision 1 is a beautifull crt tv, but 900,- pounds is very much when you're thinking in the technical way. If you want to keep your set B&O only I should buy the BV1, but if you want a nice screen hanging on the wall I should buy a nice lcd with a glass panel and black surroundings for the same price or maybe a bit more....

You can also wait for the Laser Tv's comming up at the end of the year. The picture is much and much better, the product price is lower and it uses less power.

We Can't Get Enough B&O Stuff...

• 06-10-2007 11:20 AM In reply to

The BV1 seems rather expensive. Lee has several for £150 less. Consider an MX as well as these are less money and the same basic set.
  • 06-10-2007 11:34 AM In reply to

It is also not widescreen. Here in Holland, most of the broadcasts are in anamorphic widescreen now, including the commercial broadcasters, so such un oldfahioned Beovsion 1 is then not of much use.
  • 06-10-2007 11:50 AM In reply to

The BV1 is an excellent tv with a far superior picture to any flat screen at any price and I don't care what anybody says!!

Nevertheless, £900 is very expensive, I've just sold a Beocenter 1 with built in dvd player and radio for around that price. You can pick a BV1 up on ebay uk for £600 or less including motorised stand, much less if you choose one with a coloured case.

Regards Graham

• 06-10-2007 11:59 AM In reply to

• Beobird
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 506
    • Gold Member

joeyboygolf:

The BV1 is an excellent tv with a far superior picture to any flat screen at any price and I don't care what anybody says!!

I agree with that in these days, but when the broadcasts and dvd's will be in High Defininition the BV1 advantage will be gone.....

• 06-10-2007 12:05 PM In reply to

Hello 

Thanks for all the comments,

Firstly, i plan to use my Beo with sky and so i believe that you can change the format of the feed, form 16:9 to 4:3. So i don't think this should be a problem. 

One good point that was made was about HD, i worry that in a couple of years it will not be worth it because i will want HD, at the moment i am not too fussed because there is not much content available (for Tv) at the moment. 

Thanks again 

T.Gibbs
  • 06-10-2007 12:13 PM In reply to

On a 25" screen, HD is almost pointless!
  • 06-10-2007 12:14 PM In reply to

Don't worry too much about HD. It wil hardly be visible on the small screen TV like the BV1. It is a great TV and the design is unbeated. Go for it. Although I agree it can be picked up for around 1000 euro (600 pounds).
  • 06-10-2007 1:06 PM In reply to

Beobird:
    joeyboygolf:

I agree with that in these days, but when the broadcasts and dvd's will be in High Defininition the BV1 advantage will be gone.....

Let's be honest about this. HD has been designed to bring LCD and Plasma technology up to CRT standards as without it they are crap in comparison!

And another thing, any other B&O flat panel is going to be so much more expensive but I can't bring myself to buy any of the so called competitive products from other manufacturers.

Regards Graham

• 06-10-2007 3:14 PM In reply to

• Beobird
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Netherlands
    • Posts 506
    • Gold Member

Let's be honest about this. HD has been designed to bring LCD and Plasma technology up to CRT standards as without it they are crap in comparison!

The question of the topicstarter was about a Beovision 1 or something else.... I meant that he could buy a nice 40" screen with HD and 1080p like the Pioneer from the picture I posted.... I didn't meant that the Pioneer is a better choise but it's just to compare. If the TS can get a BV1 for 400/500 pounds it is a really good option, but I think it's not worth 900 pounds anymore.

about the HD thing: The picture from an 32" Avant RF is the best you can get at the moment. Maybe the HD is like you said designed to bring lcd to a crt standard but the crt technique is stopped around 2000/2002 and the lcd technique moves on.... At these days the Avant is still better then the best lcd without HD and blu-ray/hd-dvd discs, but the lcd's of tomorrow have got a 1080p screen and High Definition. Put a blu-ray or hd-dvd player on it and the image you get is just beyond your imagination.

Like I said before, at the end of this year lcd, crt, plasma and sed will be replaced for laser tv's. If you want a really really good picture you have to wait for this.

• 06-10-2007 4:52 PM In reply to

Your points are all very valid but don't apply to me or I suggest to the majority. I just wanna watch the television, you know, old fashioned entertainment such as news, sport, the odd comedy, documentaries or some of the wonderful dramas that British TV is famous for.

I have no desire to watch modern DVD's be they Blu-ray or HD or whatever. I watched the cricket this afternoon on my old fashioned MX6000 and wondered what all the HD fuss was about. The grass looked like grass, I could see the ball even when it was moving and I recognised the players even from a distance. What more do I want?? While typing this post there are some sheep on the screen in a nice green field and I can see all this from an angle of 60 degrees to the screen. Amazing isn't it!!

I don't have to wait for laser TV's as what I have now does me just fine.

Regards Graham

• 06-10-2007 6:17 PM In reply to

After watching the cricket, the miserable old git had me running around making up his flat pack furniture, while he sat on his *** watching the grand prix!!

I have to admit both his MX6000 and his MS6000, do have cracking pictures that are very very hard to beat.

I happened to pop around to my bosses house after work the other day and viewed his 42" pioneer plasma with HD  (England v Estonia was on).

I was very dissapointed, what a big fuss over nothing.

All i can say is that these people who are taken in by HD have never seen an b&o crt picture. Its all a big con to get people to replace their tvs. The only benefit i can see is that you dont have 2ft of electronics sticking out the back of the tv.

Regards Brett
  • 06-10-2007 7:15 PM In reply to

• benjnz
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Auckland NZ
    • Posts 392
    • Gold Member

I would then again I used to have one! hehehehe

I did MX7000, then BV1 then BV6 and not Avant RF CRT.

BV1 is a nice little tv, nice design, you can force it to widescreen too on movies and stuff OK nice big black bands but hey.

Yeah try get a cheaper one, or if you can get a MX8000 (anyone out there got one, I'd love one)!!! Big Smile

• 06-11-2007 4:14 AM In reply to

joeyboygolf:

Your points are all very valid but don't apply to me or I suggest to the majority. I just wanna watch the television, you know, old fashioned entertainment such as news, sport, the odd comedy, documentaries or some of the wonderful dramas that British TV is famous for.

I have no desire to watch modern DVD's be they Blu-ray or HD or whatever. I watched the cricket this afternoon on my old fashioned MX6000 and wondered what all the HD fuss was about. The grass looked like grass, I could see the ball even when it was moving and I recognised the players even from a distance. What more do I want?? While typing this post there are some sheep on the screen in a nice green field and I can see all this from an angle of 60 degrees to the screen. Amazing isn't it!!

You are watching sheep on TV. I'll send the boys round! Laughing

• 06-11-2007 4:14 AM In reply to

joeyboygolf:

You are watching sheep on TV. I'll send the boys round! Laughing

• 06-11-2007 5:00 PM In reply to

• benjnz
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Auckland NZ
    • Posts 392
    • Gold Member

LOL Sorry is Joey in NZ too?! Laughing
Page 1 of 1 (18 items)