in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-06-2009 7:48 PM by Stephan. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-06-2009 3:13 PM

Building New Product Anticipation: B&O vs Apple

Reading the ever repeated requests for information on the BV10 makes me realise that both B&O and Apple are masters at building anticipation for new products yet ensuring that nothing leaks before they want it to. With Apple, they seem to go to another level with (usually) nothing announced but (usually) a surprise at a long-scheduled event. B&O on the other hand usually make an announcement in advance about a product but only reveal it long after the expected date. Considering all the component manufacturers involved together with in-house personnel it's truly remarkable that very little gets out (although it doesn't stop ill-informed speculation.)

Thinking about it, car manufacturers also do an amazing job on keeping new models under wraps.

Does anyone know what penalty a dealer or employees would suffer if they leaked new product information? I think they must, on the whole, be amazingly loyal to B&O. Smile

Are B&O (and Apple) good at this anticipation building, or is it that I don't notice it elsewhere because I'm possibly less interested in other manufacturer's forthcoming products? (I'll admit to wanting to see the new Saab 9-5, even though it's obviously a close relative of the Saabs of 15 years ago.)

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 10-06-2009 3:21 PM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

Re: Building New Product Anticipation: B&O vs Apple

vikinger:

Does anyone know what penalty a dealer or employees would suffer if they leaked new product information? I think they must, on the whole, be amazingly loyal to B&O. Smile

Actually Graham, both companies succeed in this area by specifically keeping dealers and most in-the-field employees as much in the dark as the public.

I have been with B&O since '95...and I first saw the BeoSound 9000 at its public unveiling in Atlanta just before the '96 Olympic games there...not so much as a sketch beforehand.  I have also worked part-time at an Apple retail store...the first look at the original iPhone? 45 miutes before we opened the doors.  Can't leak what you don't know!

As for the auto industry, you must not follow too closely...there is an entire cottage-industry of spy photographers trying to get the latest shot of any test mule they can find.  The new 9-5?  Google is your friend.  Devil

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 10-06-2009 3:26 PM In reply to

• Thomas
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 05-25-2009
    • Salisbury
    • Posts 22
    • Bronze Member

Interesting thoughts Graham.

I suppose B&O do a pretty good job of stoking up interest, but I'd have to say that Apple does it better. The reason I say that is I remember, when living near Apple's Regent St store, how hard it would be just to get in when they opened up the store sometimes - because there would be so many people queing to get in! Sometimes it seemed like hundreds! God knows how early they got there...

Also, I've never seen a queue outside a B&O store! (sadly!)

Saabs approach with the new 9-5 looks interesting-  was just watching their video with the English designer introducing it... The car looks great and I cannot wait to drive it!! Saab is the only other brand that does it for me like B&O!

Tom

• 10-06-2009 3:47 PM In reply to

I am only inerested in new products if I want to buy something because there are only few things I hate more as if I bought something and two weeks later I could get a brand new product. As Russ said, if you buy a car there is usually no problem because you look at google and there you have the spy shots. B&O and Apple are nearly perfect in this point, I have never seen a "real" B&O or Apple spy shot made whyle the product was tested. I agree that Apple makes it better than B&O because I need a new TV and a new Macbook Air and I know I won't buy a B&O TV yet until I have seen a picture and some specs of the BV 10 because I guess it will be released within the next weeks. I am sure that nobody knows exactly if I should order the Macbook Air today, wait until tomorrow or until next week (14th as last year) or if there won't happen anything until 2010......

But we know B&O will release the BV 10, Beolab 11, BV 7-55, Beocom 5, Beosound 5 light and or the Ipod dock (if it isn't the same)

• 10-06-2009 7:48 PM In reply to

In my opinion B&O and Apple are not comparable as Apple invents industy changing electronical devices (iPhone / iPod etc), groundbreaking new ways of distribution (iTunes) all compared with a total ease of use (OSX) whereas B&O not really invents nowadays.

You may ask what they could invent/develop?

There is a list of things / examples coming to my mind:

- Car hifi system for the rest of us (not everyone buys an Aston Martin or top range Audi)

- Wireless Video streamin device

- More normal-day things in a true B&O style (like BeoTime) for a reasonable price plus some extra for the B&O looks like PC speakers / free programmable remote controls etc.

- A phone thats useable with not so much functions noone needs but in true B&O quality (both in manufacturing & usability quality)

If a product from Apple is leaked upfront, everybody would pay attention as they are in extreme focus from the rest of the industry and get copied over and over again.

If new B&O stuff (example Beocom 5 / Beovision 10) is leaked somewhere, not that much companies pay attention because B&O doesn't invent, they "only" wrap existing technology into B&O clothes and sell it at a much too high pricepoint to be compared to the rest of the respective industy (Beovision, Phones, younameit)

Apple leads, others follow!

B&O follows, but in a very sexy way!

Regards

Stephan

P.S. Don't get me wrong, I love B&O :-)

• 10-06-2009 9:40 PM In reply to

I don't think the risk is high with B&O that you turn around and there is something new. Even with Apple there is often a good indication what and when updates will happen. Merge rumors with that they always under-deliver your expectation and you are there .....

Honestly, looking at the last few B&O spy shots that we had - yes there was or is some anticipation but I noticed that a "like" "want" "buy" decision in B&O land is much more complex for me. For example the BS5 turned from like and want badly into a "no buy" simply based on me understanding the features better .... note that I learned here about the product and avoided much frustration I guess .....

So for me, I have a slight itch for the Ipod dock BS5 light or whatever it is but first need to understand how it works and what it does and what it doesn't do.

BS5 with Itunes in the back sounds very tempting.

JK

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 10-06-2009 11:52 PM In reply to

jk1002:

I have a slight itch for the Ipod dock BS5 light or whatever it is but first need to understand how it works and what it does and what it doesn't do.

BS5 with Itunes in the back sounds very tempting.

Me too !

But I am still amused that B&O prospectus translation of a "Beowatch"had us all confused until it turned out to be a flute called "Beotime" !

I read both BeoWorld and MacRumors everyday (sad little puppy that I am) and they both keep me greatly entertained with their various speculations.

I had a great expectation for the BS4 and bought it almost immediately it came out, and I even pre-ordered the BV7-40 BluRay (but that's another story, now I am wondering if the BV10 ...................)

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)