in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-07-2009 9:38 PM by TripEnglish. 24 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (25 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-06-2009 12:25 AM

To: B&O Marketing, Struer; Ref: Marketing Demographics 101

Apple owners buy nearly twice as many consumer electronic devices

The study notes that because these characteristics place Apple owners at the forefront of consumer electronics, their purchasing decisions can be valuable to the industry as a measure of upcoming trends and popular products.

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 10-06-2009 1:48 AM In reply to

• PentaIII
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-26-2007
    • Australia
    • Posts 83
    • Bronze Member

Re: To: B&O Marketing, Struer; Ref: Marketing Demographics 101

I have a  few ipods and an ipod touch, they have all malfunctioned...so I can believe Apple consumers need to buy twice as much :P

The Apple hype is truly nauseating!

• 10-06-2009 2:47 AM In reply to

i've been buying apple gear since 1992 and the only problem i've ever had was a power lead on an ibook

apart from that - amazing stuff imo

bno should embrace apple and the mac , it's where the money / taste is after all

popgear is grate™

• 10-06-2009 3:04 AM In reply to

PentaIII:

I have a  few ipods and an ipod touch, they have all malfunctioned...so I can believe Apple consumers need to buy twice as much :P

The Apple hype is truly nauseating!

My eldest son was an early iPod adopter, I think he has bought the largest model of each generation and handed the previous generation on through the family.

So in our immediate family I believe there are some 8 iPods ... none of which have failed and most are still in use

On the other hand my indestructible BeoSound 2 had to be repaired for what was the price of a new iPod!

And just to prove the Apple virus is as contaigous as the B&O virus ... the immediate family also has 4 iPhones.

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 10-06-2009 5:30 AM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

The only thing you can buy from Apple is:

- Home Computer (Mac mini, iMac, Mac PRO). Their home computers are simply great and their Mac OS X, too!
    - iPhone
    - Software like Logic Audio (they bought the german company "Emagic" that developed "Logic"), Final Cut, iMovie etc.

iPod is easy to use but it does NOT sound very good!
    I'm using a Sony MP3 player and it sounds like it should. Try the A8 headphones on an iPod and you think there's something broken... (especialy in the bass range).
    I have a Beosound 2, too but I don't use it anymore. It makes a "popping" noise when I switch it on and my dealer told me that all Beosound 2 units make this noise... A 500 Euro MP3 player makes popping noises when powering on in 2009?? That's a NO GO!

The Apple Notebooks aren't highend anymore. The audio circuit in the Macbook PRO is a joke as you can hear noises that do NOT belong to the music etc. (I had this on 2 Macbook PROs).

Highend Notebook? Buy a Sony, Toshiba, HP or if you need s.th. realy tough: A Panasonic Toughbook.

Apple is just a hype at the moment and because of this they can produce whatever they want, no matter how awful it is made. It is from Apple so it must be "cool".

I can't understand that... where's reality?

• 10-06-2009 5:46 AM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

I really don't understand why B&O should go anywhere near Apple. Its the surest way for B&O to lose all identity. I don't mind if people like Apple but they also have their flaws....my friend bought the top of the range macbook pro, made from aluminium, the edges of the laptop are too sharp and hurt your wrists as they rest on the edges as you type. On searching the net he found many people had the same complaint.

After all B&O is about enjoying music/tv etc....people seem to be only interested in the tech side these days.

P.s. Most people I know have a windows partition on their Macs!

Durban South Africa

• 10-06-2009 6:20 AM In reply to

I have used personal Apple computers for as long as I can remember, with MS Windows on Dells and the like at work. My family are in a similar situation: PCs at work but Apples at home.(Although I am using a Toshiba Satellite as I type!)

They all have iPhones as well.

As far as computers are concerned, Apple Macs are far superior, and you can use OpenOffice for documents to be read on/ sent to PCs. As I've noted in another thread, having to subscribe to a Norton/Symantics anti virus system (which subtly interfers with lots of PC functions) at a cost on average of about £50 per two years easily makes it more sense to buy an Apple Mac in the first place.

Apple products share many design aesthetics with B&O, so the survey in many ways just confirms what is already well known as far as B&O owners are concerned.

And for those who get upset about references to Apple......... if you use both an Apple Mac and a Windows PC I guarantee you will quickly choose to use the Apple in preference and only use the PC where you are forced to for business or software reasons. It's not just Apple hype! Wink

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 10-06-2009 6:35 AM In reply to

TWG:
    It makes a "popping" noise when I switch it on and my dealer told me that all Beosound 2 units make this noise... A 500 Euro MP3 player makes popping noises when powering on in 2009??

Do you mean the audio feedback that tells you the unit is functioning ?

Given that there is no visual display this is a reasonable approach ... for a unit that is several generations out of date :-)

• 10-06-2009 6:40 AM In reply to

BenSA:
    I really don't understand why B&O should go anywhere near Apple.

The reason I posted this is that B&O ignores the Apple market and lots of Beoworlders think that this is bad marketing ... look at the BMLink posts for example

• 10-06-2009 7:03 AM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

elephant:

BenSA:

The reason I posted this is that B&O ignores the Apple market and lots of Beoworlders think that this is bad marketing ... look at the BMLink posts for example

B&O does ignore Apple, but Apple also ignores B&O and other manufacturers. B&O is much more of a premium brand then Apple will ever be. B&O can't specifically cater for Apple products, it would in my view instantly show that B&O has bowed down to pressure and given Apple the upper hand. B&O will then have to follow the trends made by Apple and no longer try to come out with their own groundbreaking products. Lots of manufacturers always add that their products are compatible to Apple so that they can increase sales but it doesn't say much for their own ability to be creative and forge their own path or most importantly be unique!!

Durban South Africa

• 10-06-2009 7:13 AM In reply to

Firstly, howzit man! I am from Jo'burg but don't hold it against me - most of my relatives are in Durban :-)

BenSA:
    B&O can't specifically cater for Apple products
    <-- But B&O DOES cater for Windows, i.e. BeoPlayer invokes Windows Media Player under the covers

• 10-06-2009 7:13 AM In reply to

• PentaIII
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-26-2007
    • Australia
    • Posts 83
    • Bronze Member

vikinger:

And for those who get upset about references to Apple......... if you use both an Apple Mac and a Windows PC I guarantee you will quickly choose to use the Apple in preference and only use the PC where you are forced to for business or software reasons. It's not just Apple hype! Wink

Graham

I've had a few Apple laptops over the years and time and time again I end up back on a PC, I absolutely love my Fujitsu Q Series notebook, it still leaves Apple for dead in quality.  At the end of the day if B&O produce a 'computer' linked solution for customers they need to actively support all platfforms for consumers.

• 10-06-2009 7:18 AM In reply to

PentaIII:
    if B&O produce a 'computer' linked solution for customers they need to actively support all platfforms for consumers.

D'Accord !

and especially if one of them (Apple buyers) appears to have greater spending power 

• 10-06-2009 7:24 AM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

elephant:

Firstly, howzit man! I am from Jo'burg but don't hold it against me - most of my relatives are in Durban :-)

BenSA:
    B&O can't specifically cater for Apple products
    <-- But B&O DOES cater for Windows, i.e. BeoPlayer invokes Windows Media Player under the covers

Hey Howzit!! lol!! Finally someone from SA!! Awesome!!

Yes it does cater for windows thats true, you do have a point there BUT Apple is a specific company where as Windows is used by many manufacturers of computers. Apple in a sense is the odd one out. I just think that B&O doesn't want to be linked with one computer manufacturer. I'm no expert to be honest....

Durban South Africa

• 10-06-2009 8:02 AM In reply to

BenSA:
    lol!!

LOL yes :)

BenSA:
    Windows is used by many manufacturers of computers

True.

Both MicroSoft and Apple have a platform/ecosystem strategy.  Another example is Google.

• 10-06-2009 9:27 AM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

elephant:

TWG:
    It makes a "popping" noise when I switch it on and my dealer told me that all Beosound 2 units make this noise... A 500 Euro MP3 player makes popping noises when powering on in 2009??

Do you mean the audio feedback that tells you the unit is functioning ?

Given that there is no visual display this is a reasonable approach ... for a unit that is several generations out of date :-)

I don't refer to the "beep"-signals the unit makes; that's absolutely ok; I refer to the "plop" noise you can hear through the headphones when you power it on - that's electrical design like on a 20$ cheapo MP3-Player... this has nothing to do with high-end.

B&O should stay on their roots and use their own creations; The only thing I wish would be better support for their products on the Mac, e.g. CD ripping with Mac OS X in WMA losless etc. would be great - but it doesn't exist.

I don't want everything networked with each other. I love to separate my audio-video-network and my computer network.

• 10-06-2009 10:47 AM In reply to

I made the switch now over one year ago from pc to mac.

I took me a over a year to finally make up my mind (I do resented the mac 'nerds' telling me how great their mac is).
    After my 2nd laptop in as many years gave up on me (And I am talking hardware and not even touching the subject of windows, because that is an other story!!!) I just was fed up and ready to give any other option a try.  Wow.... best decision I have ever made. (besides marrying my wife...Smile

So satisfied that now the whole office is equipped with imac and mac mini (10 pcs) and I have an Imac at home and a mac mini as media server. I keep getting calls from my old IT guys asking me why I never call them again ... or to make sure if I'm still in bussiness?, LOL... once set up I had no need for them since...

We did run a windows partition on each one in order to maintain compatibility with older stuff and clients pc's. However this will soon be eliminated as well as we use it less and less.....(I haven't used windows on any of mine in the last 6 months and I sure ain't missing it...) 

I think B&O should start supporting OSX as it is now way more than a second-rate platform and there are just more and more of us to deal with. I would love a valid B&O full media player setup at home if it ever becomes available, but the mac mini is filling this need more than adequately. I have opted to use my mac mini with Ridax's cable solution to play itunes. It's very rudimentary but works without flaws with my beolink 1000. 
    I can also use my iphone to browse through itunes and command other programs like frontrow or plex.

I sold my beoport as I have no more need for it and the support by B&O (both in updates, expansion and OSX support) is no longer there. It is very sad to have to read on this forum that someone non-B&O is desperate enough to give it a go at writing some software for it himself.  Inexcusable situation from B&O's side...

There is not much introduced in the last 10 yrs by B&O that really wants me to make an effort saving up for. Glad to hear they left the MP3 and phone/cell phone business. However some of the newer items really made an impression (like the lab9 and BV8-40 and the beotime) I have heard the lab9's in action and I do like them alot. I have seen the BV8-40 when I was in europe a couple of weeks ago and again it did impress me in both design and image quality.  I am looking forward to seeing the new BV10 and the new subwoofer .... exciting times ahead!!! Laughing  It might be just enough to convince me to buy my first 'new' piece of B&O in over 15 years....

• 10-07-2009 5:09 AM In reply to

• benjnz
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Auckland NZ
    • Posts 392
    • Gold Member

elephant:

BenSA:

Which is true, although if that rumour of a BS5 unit that can plug into mac/itunes/iphoto is a reality that really will shift more BS5 units and make life easier, although we all know what rumours are like *sighs*

• 10-07-2009 6:25 AM In reply to

cooldude:
    I sold my beoport as I have no more need for it and the support by B&O (both in updates, expansion and OSX support) is no longer there. It is very sad to have to read on this forum that someone non-B&O is desperate enough to give it a go at writing some software for it himself.  Inexcusable situation from B&O's side...

I have kept my BeoPort and have been experimenting on its ideal usage in my current set-up ...

At the moment I have the following set-up:

-- BeoPort  USB to Apple

-- Apple audio-out to BV8 AV3

-- Apple video-out to BV8 HDMI

So when I press PC the BV8, its speakers (BL 3s) and the Apple's Front Row are activated.

I am relatively happy with this arrangement ... my music is scrobbled to last.fm which does not happen if I was running NetMusic; however my music videos, TVs and films are not scrobbled whereas they are if I use iTunes directly (via a remote mouse and keyboard).

From the link rooms L-PC give me access to what is playing, but they don't launch Front Row by themselves - and I don't get the meta-data scrolling on the BS 4.

If I use iTunes I do get the scrolling meta-data.

So I am still working my wy through to the ideal combination to meet my needs ... I hope to get this research done before Apple announce their new Mac-mini (and perhaps a new ATV?)

• 10-07-2009 10:02 AM In reply to

elephant:

cooldude:

I have kept my BeoPort and have been experimenting on its ideal usage in my current set-up ...

At the moment I have the following set-up:

-- BeoPort  USB to Apple

-- Apple audio-out to BV8 AV3

-- Apple video-out to BV8 HDMI

So when I press PC the BV8, its speakers (BL 3s) and the Apple's Front Row are activated.

I am relatively happy with this arrangement ... my music is scrobbled to last.fm which does not happen if I was running NetMusic; however my music videos, TVs and films are not scrobbled whereas they are if I use iTunes directly (via a remote mouse and keyboard).

From the link rooms L-PC give me access to what is playing, but they don't launch Front Row by themselves - and I don't get the meta-data scrolling on the BS 4.

If I use iTunes I do get the scrolling meta-data.

So I am still working my wy through to the ideal combination to meet my needs ... I hope to get this research done before Apple announce their new Mac-mini (and perhaps a new ATV?)

Hi Elephant,

how is the apple working with the BV8? Do you have an ATV or Mini ? I just think the BM-link software is in need of a real good update in order to solve many of these incompatibility problems.... 

The fact of not getting another  B&O tv was a decisive factor for me as well. I just could not bring myself to invest in a BV9 or even BV7.
    The prices are just exorbitant for all too quickly outdating technology and I would never really use most of it's features anyways. Second hand market here in Canada is just about non-existant..... or limited to a few mx5000's running on there last legs.

I just want a B&O tv that gives me a good picture, gives me surround sound so I can connect my Beolabs to it, and if with a bit of luck I can use my beo4 remote to control my mac mini, BD player and sat box connected to it. That's all I want. I have no interest in controlling my blinds, dimming lights, projectors etc....with it. 

I saw the BV8 when I was in europe a couple of weeks ago and I have to say I was really impressed. Though the design takes some getting used to,  I love it. Also price wise a valid option for me when I am ready to change my kuro plasma in a year or two. (Don't even know if BV8-40 is available here in Canada... but I haven't been to the store in almost a year..)

• 10-07-2009 2:59 PM In reply to

Hey cooldude!

My first and current Mac is a MacBook that I bought in February.  When Apple release the next major update I may buy a Mac-mini or an Apple TV or a MacBookPro ... it will all depend upon their new features, my youngest son's input (he is lusting after a Mac), and my wife (she is lusting after my MacBook) ... in fact given the level of MacEnvy in the house I suspect I might be in for an expensive Christmas.

My BV8 is a BV8-32; you may recall I almost bought a BV7-40-mark III sight unseen but then based on the first installation with a Beoworlder that had all sorts of problems I deferred delivery and took a BV8-32 instead.  My dealer gave me a good deal, and I have been delighted with the device.  I have also been disappointed with the BV7-40 BluRay demonstrations I have had since then (3 stores, 3 continents) and so I have decided to hold out for the BV10 as possibly being my prime video platform - all the rumours have wetted my appetite!

I do intend to provide a proper wiring diagram of how my set-up has evolved (some may recall my diagrams on the BeoWorld of 2004), however this is how the BV8 has been maxed out in its connection capabilities.

I have audio splitters, aerial splitters, and a Red/White/Yellow audio/video switch in all of this ... I am trying to decide whether to go for an HDMI splitter/switch (they are expensive in Australia!) or to stay with my manual swapping.  At the moment when I do swap the HDMI cables I then use the BV8s's connections menu to reroute the interface between DVD and PC.

BV8 AV1 SCART to FoxTel STB (V.AUX on Beo4) controlled through IR C1

BV8 AV2 HDMI to PS3 (DVD on Beo4)

BV8 AV2 SCART to Sainsbury DVD that I got for £17 when I was stationed in the UK [I have a number of UK region DVDs so I need this] (DVD on Beo4) -- yes this is not a typo, I am using both AV2 connection paths

BV8 AV3 HDMI [and VGA] to Apple MacBook via HDMI and AV3 Audio [and to Compaq Wintel via VGA and AV3 Audio] (PC on Beo4) controlled through BeoPort with its own IR

BV8 AV4 SCART BeoCord VHS 91 (V.MEM on Beo4)

BV8 Camera RWY to switch that leads to a PS2 and to a Wii (CAMERA on Beo4)

BV8 analogue aerial (TV on Beo4)

BV8 DVB-T aerial (DTV on Beo4) which also picks up some radio 

BV8 PowerLink to BL 3s [used for video {DTV, TV, V.MEM, PC, DVD, V.AUX} as well as A.AUX {Airport Wireless into BeoSound 4}, A.MEM {BS 4's SD card}, BS 4 FM radio {can't do Australia's DAB+}, BS 4 CD]

BV8 MasterLink to BeoPort, BeoSound 4, and BeoWireless to remote speakers (BL 6000s and BL 4s in various rooms)

I very pleased with all of the above and I find it very usable - but I don't play the PS3, PS2 and Wii games. Obviously a BV7 with its internal BS3 and multiple ports would give me even more freedom and remove the occasional HDMI cable swap.

The attaching of the BeoPort was to allow me to get one step closer to the nirvana of only using my Beo4, whereas using the PS3, PS2 and Wii games controllers has a natural fit in those sessions with the exception of the PS3 BluRay operation where I would like to exercise Beo4 control.

BV8 experts will note the IR C2 is not used.  The installer claimed it was not available after the installation of the system module (which gave me the DVB-T, the extra AV4, and the MasterLink).  As noted elsewhere on BeoWorld this is NOT true for all models of the BV8, so I intend to pursue getting myself another IR blaster for the C2 position with a view of either driving the "DVD" or the "PC".

Hope that helps.

It certainly explains why the installer turned a pale shade of grey when he arrived for what he thought was a simple plug and go set-up !

Big Smile I believe he actually learnt a lot about how far a BV8 can be pushed in this exercise.

• 10-07-2009 4:16 PM In reply to

Wow ... lol well I guess I might wish you an early "mac" christmas them Laughing.

Indeed quite a bit of hardware that has been plugged in to your BV8 ... wow. would have love to see the installers face when he realized the amount of work involved setting that one up....

If the BV8 is capable of working all of that , than for sure it will more than satisfy my needs. One thing comes to mind : As we don't have scart interfaces here in North America, the connectivity might be different here. I guess I will have to go and find out.

Thanks,

O.

• 10-07-2009 9:38 PM In reply to

Don Draper had a great line on Mad Men a few weeks ago. When a colleague remarked that "sex sells," she was rebuffed by Don who said, "people who talk like that think that monkeys can do our jobs." There's something to be learned from that, especially today when "pop" versions of every discipline have made their way into mainstream culture.

To read a short story like this and infer that B&O should somehow elbow their way onto Apple's coat tails is more an act of imagination than extrapolation. It's a misstatement that Mac ownership is somehow a driver of purchase behavior. It is simply another symptom and not nearly as instructive an example as other drivers. Remember that there are only 2 possibilities for operating systems and one operating system only operates on one type of machine. What amounts to little more than a binary choice is hardly enough data to hang your hat on.

Dining choices, travel habits, apparel, cars, zip codes, education, personal and professional affiliations, etc. are all meaningful elements in building a customer profile and while Mac use is not entirely irrelevant, it's what would be called a necessary but not sufficient condition.

Oh and as someone who currently owns 5 macs, 3 Apple TVs, and a nearly every version of iPod and iPhone since buying the first model 2 days after its launch, I would personally rate them a 6 out of 10. They're just lucky that Microsoft is a 3 out of 10 and other PC makers are 1.5 out of 10!

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 10-08-2009 10:39 AM In reply to

>>As we don't have scart interfaces here in North America, the connectivity might be different here. I guess I will have to go and find out.<<

I have way less connected but am in NA. They have plenty of scart adapters available. When looking at the BV8 32 just be aware that you only have the HDMI and component port for high def signal. 

I am super happy with mine, just am thinking about a software upgrade as I like to get the Roku Netflix player ....

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 10-08-2009 3:03 PM In reply to

jk1002:

ust am thinking about a software upgrade as I like to get the Roku Netflix player ....

Is the software upgrade the controls for the IR blaster ?

And for reference, the high def signal port is I believe the AV2 port which has SCART or Y-Pb-Pr ports associated with it, and can have the HDMI port associated with it ... 

Page 1 of 1 (25 items)