in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-06-2009 8:51 PM by jk1002. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-05-2009 7:47 PM

Using the Apple TV with no TV, just with the iPhone (remote) and A.AUX

Hi All,

Would it be possible to use the Apple TV, that would then be connected directly to the A.AUX of my ouverture and all of it being controlled using the iphone? Or does the TV have to be on?

Thanks

• 10-05-2009 7:55 PM In reply to

Re: Using the Apple TV with no TV, just with the iPhone (remote) and A.AUX

Not sure ... I would be guessing that there is no awareness of whether the screen is present or even powered on ...

However, I don't see how you could navigate without visual awareness !

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 10-05-2009 8:58 PM In reply to

I would think it would work fine. I can listen to music from the Apple TV in a link room with no TV and works perfectly using an iTouch.

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 10-06-2009 2:02 AM In reply to

Thanks for the responses.

So Razlaw, would you do something like, LINK + V.AUX, then use the itouch?

So would you connect the apple tv solely using the HDMI cable, or both the HDMI cable to the tv and then the Analogue RCA stereo audio cable to the ouverture a.aux?

Thanks

• 10-06-2009 3:37 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

I've been doing this for the past couple of years, controlling with my Touch with the remote app. Only disadvantage really has been updates, when I then have to connect to a TV to navigate the menu to install the update. On one occasion I thought my ATV had developed a fault as it wouldn't respond at all. When I plugged it in to the TV it was telling me there was an update available. Previously I hadn't been able to see this.

• 10-06-2009 3:51 AM In reply to

Hi Kokomo.

Thanks for 'the update', haha. That's ok for me, because if I got one, it would be used for both TV and 'remote' use. It's just that I want a way to listen to my MP3s (not using my PS3 to stream) and without having to switch the PC on.

Also, id love to be able to listen to music at night, or in the morning whilst getting ready for work just by pressing a few buttons...

Can I also now ask a very specific question, can the Apple TV be used to just stream music from my Western Digital World Edition (NAS) drive that has an iTunes server? Because 160GB is nothing!

• 10-06-2009 4:23 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

Firstly, forgot to mention that you will need to have a screen available to setup the ATV initially.

As for your specific question, how much music have you got?? Do you mean that you want to stream music from your WDWE drive to the ATV?

My depth of knowledge about separate drives is not sufficient to answer that I'm afraid. But if you are using iTunes, I can't see any problem streaming all your media to the ATV. Don't know enough about external drives to answer any more I'm afraid.

I assume though that you don't need to have your PC on for this which is something you say you don't want. I thought your original point was that you just wanted to use the ATV!

• 10-06-2009 4:33 AM In reply to

Thanks again. Basically, I don't have loads of music (around 80GB) but with photos and videos, that 160GB quota will get full very quickly.

I'm just thinking about the future, if i get the apple tv and it gets full, whether I can carry on using the music stored on the WDWE hard drive that is constantly on (sleeps when inactive) and the apple tv that is the same. Both would mean music on demand with no pc needed and no need to switch them on manually.

• 10-06-2009 5:01 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

I agree that with photos & video things would fill up, BUT I thought your original query was about listening to music via your ouverture.

I appreciate that you are looking to the future, but in that case and if you envisage viewing your media, I would have thought you should be going down the route of connecting to a TV. It all depends on your needs. At this particular time I don't want to watch anything from my ATV (this may have something to do however with the fact that my TV doesn't have HDMI or component!). Of course things may change in the future, but if you just want to listen to music, the ATV is and will be fine.

• 10-06-2009 5:04 AM In reply to

True, but I want the option of both.

Using the ATV via the BV7 for Photos (not really movies since the PS3 is amazing)

And, via the A.AUX (+ Ouverture) to listen to music.

• 10-06-2009 8:08 AM In reply to

timhanna:

Thanks for the responses.

So Razlaw, would you do something like, LINK + V.AUX, then use the itouch?

So would you connect the apple tv solely using the HDMI cable, or both the HDMI cable to the tv and then the Analogue RCA stereo audio cable to the ouverture a.aux?

Thanks

I have our connected with both. HDMI for picture and surround sound in main room. Analog for the link room.

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 10-06-2009 8:13 AM In reply to

Great! It should be a nice addition for Christmas :)

• 10-06-2009 8:24 AM In reply to

• DW2008
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-25-2008
    • Brighton
    • Posts 14
    • Bronze Member

have you looked at using ATV Flash?

http://www.atvflash.com/

I don't have an Apple TV yet, but I had a look at this and it might make it a good option for me.

In addition to allowing you to attach an external drive for extra storage it also has 2 other enhancements that I would find useful :

* the ability to store DVDs in their entirety (with menus etc.) without converting them

* the ability to connect to an older TV (like my Avant) without any extra convertors etc.

As I said, I haven't actually done this yet - has anyone else taken this approach?

• 10-06-2009 10:08 AM In reply to

Hi DW2008,

Looks good but I'm a bit skeptical of modding a new product... and if it's going to turn into a pc, i might as well get a mac mini .S

• 10-06-2009 8:51 PM In reply to

I don't think one has to get ATV flash. There is enough free stuff out there ..... I actually never really used my ATV until I started modding it.

If you are concerned about capacity, you can get them from third parties with bigger HDDs, at least here in the US. You can even do it yourself I guess ...

Cheers

JK

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)