in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-05-2009 2:37 PM by TWG. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-04-2009 10:12 PM

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Greater Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

BS5 for me?

Hi everyone

Great forum you guys have here Smile

I'm currently contemplating buying a BS5 (and the associated BM5). I haven't made my mind up with regards to speakers, but depending on the WAF (wife acceptance factor), I will go for either the BL9s, or hopefully the BL5s. I have read these forums the entire weekend to educate myself. I know I can go down to the corner (well, almost) and try out the BS5, but I really don't trust sales people so much, as they tend to know more about the average consumer's needs - something I don't consider myself to be (not to belittle anyone).

I'm sure that some of these questions belongs in the BM5-subforum, but I hope it's okay to post them here, as they relate to the BS5.

Here goes:

A) When using the remote (Beo5 or perhaps the Beo4), does the BS5's screen react and acts like a display across the room, or the BS5 static while using the remote(s)?

B) I don't do lossy music at all. I don't download music from the web (except a free Nine Inch Nails album at 24bit/96khz). I also have a lot of my own audio (montages, self produced radio "documentaries", ambience and nature sounds and such) produced at 24bit/48khz.

Does the thing play 24bit/48kHz? If so, what about files at 96kHz @ 24bit? (edit: I'm of course talking bwf, wav or lossless)

C) I have read that some of you are of the opinion that wave files doesn't support metadata. And this might be the case in the BS5. However, the file format BWF (Broadcast Wave Format), usually ending in .bwf, but on my recorder the bwf-file ends in .wav (just like a regular wave-file), does indeed support metadata.

My question is therefore this: Have any of you tried a bwf-file on that thing? Perhaps one ending in .bwf, but one ending in .wav (although being the bwf-type, very importantly) would obviously suffice. Anyone? If you have, does it show up the metadata?

D) I want and need FM (with RDS, preferably) and I'd also like me someDAB.

Of course the BS5 doesn't offer this, but if I were to buy, say, a BS4, a BC2 or something else, would I be able to use the BS5 to chose FM and/or DAB stations?

E) Is it possible to clone the internal harddisk and swap it for a 1TB HDD? If it is, is the disk a 2.5" or a 3.5"? My guess based on nothing else than my gut is that it's a 3.5". Is that so?

I have a few more questions, but they're hinged on the answers to these question.

Also, if needed, I'd love to upload a short BWF-file with the .wav-extension containing metadata. Alas, I'd have to know how to upload it to this forum as I can't seem to find an attachment-button (perhaps I'm blind as a bat, though).

Thanks in advance.

El

Bonus question: Seeing as the thing runs XP and it is possible to switch screen orientation (well, on a pc, that is), do you guys think it's possible to switch orientation, so it will better fit a left-handed? I know that the text on the buttons would be upside down and all, but perhaps with a firmware update, it could be possible to do this and simply ignore the upside/down text? What do you think? An all too stupid thought? It's just that I think that the circular movement would lend itself very well to be turned upside down.

• 10-05-2009 12:40 PM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

Re: BS5 for me?

a) Display remains static, no feedback for remote commands, except you skip to next album e.g.; than it shows the cover of the new album. This is something I'm missing, too as I can't see if the system understood a remote command like "MOTS" because there's absolutely NO feedback from the unit... but that's the B&O way of doing things.

b) As far as I know it supports:
    - WMA losless (mathematicaly identical to the WAV-file)
    - WAV (without metadata, as the WAV-format itself has no datacontainer for Tags)
    - MP3
    I tested it with WAV at 16bit / 44,1KHz, Stereo and it works without any problems - except that WAV files are found on "unknown artist" or "various artists" = no comfort!
    If you want the highest audio quality on this, you should go WMA losless!

c) I don't know bwf. But if you upload a SMALL bwf-file I could test it for you if the BS5 will recognize and play it. If you have a 24bit WAV I could test it, too.

d) You can combine the BS 5 with other B&O audiosystems but it can't choose FM/DAB by itself. You can only adjust the unit that it plays "Internetradio" when you choose "Radio" etc. (This is nice for older systems/remotes) In combination with another Audiosystem the BS5 can actualy only act as a slave system.

e) I can only guess "Yes" as it's based on Windows XP embedded. But I personaly think that it should be a better way to clone the system to a SSD instead of a HDD.

bonus question: This requires some system hacking; I don't know if it's possible without problems on an embedded system.

• 10-05-2009 1:23 PM In reply to

• Electrified
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 10-05-2009
    • Greater Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 404
    • Bronze Member

Thanks TWG, I have mutliquoted your post, in an effort to keep the overview (for myself, not least)

TWG:

a) Display remains static, no feedback for remote commands, except you skip to next album e.g.; than it shows the cover of the new album. This is something I'm missing, too as I can't see if the system understood a remote command like "MOTS" because there's absolutely NO feedback from the unit... but that's the B&O way of doing things.

Bummer! I saw a rendered video (yes, without people) on their website about their Gateway and whatnot, and I hoped that the movement of the BS5 was from a remote. Damn it! LOL, man, this is worse than Apple's "take it or leave it", lol.

b) As far as I know it supports:
    - WMA losless (mathematicaly identical to the WAV-file)
    - WAV (without metadata, as the WAV-format itself has no datacontainer for Tags)
    - MP3

I know that ordinary (read: "Old") Wav-files doesn't support metadata. But the neat thing about BWF is that you can have a BWF-file with the ".wav" suffix and it will play on most things, AND it will have the metadata. It's a further development of the wave-format, and it (BWF) was introduced in 1996. Much pro equipment either have a choice as to whether one wants to use the .bwf-suffix or the .wav-suffix, and even more have it set to automatically use the .wav-one. I used to be Mac user (still have my MBP somewhere), but have know switched. Both iTunes, Jetaudio, WMP and everything else I have tried, not only plays all my bwf-files with the .wav-suffix, but also show the metadata.

I tested it with WAV at 16bit / 44,1KHz, Stereo and it works without any problems - except that WAV files are found on "unknown artist" or "various artists" = no comfort!
    If you want the highest audio quality on this, you should go WMA losless!

Most of my stuff is lossless. And they're bit for bit the same as my bwf-files. ;)

c) I don't know bwf. But if you upload a SMALL bwf-file I could test it for you if the BS5 will recognize and play it. If you have a 24bit WAV I could test it, too.

Thanks, TWG. I'll do that. I will record a little snippet tomorrow, add some metadata, and perhaps a picture and shoot it your way. It will be 48kHz both of them.

d) You can combine the BS 5 with other B&O audiosystems but it can't choose FM/DAB by itself. You can only adjust the unit that it plays "Internetradio" when you choose "Radio" etc. (This is nice for older systems/remotes) In combination with another Audiosystem the BS5 can actualy only act as a slave system.

Another bummer for me :(

I was hoping it could be the main system and have another as slave.

e) I can only guess "Yes" as it's based on Windows XP embedded. But I personaly think that it should be a better way to clone the system to a SSD instead of a HDD.

An SSD is a no-go, because of the capacity. I don't even think they have a 500GB, and I'd prefer to have 1TB.

bonus question: This requires some system hacking; I don't know if it's possible without problems on an embedded system.

It would be cool, though, methinks.

There are no headphone plug on the BS5 (and BM5)? It would be great to have one on the BS5, for use in your favourite chair, so your better half didn't have to listen to your music.

Edit:

Here are some info on the BWF format:

http://www.ebu.ch/en/technical/publications/userguides/bwf_user_guide.php

And the Wiki-article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast_Wave_Format

• 10-05-2009 2:37 PM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

you're welcome :)

Would you mind to upload a 16bit, 44,1kHz bwf-file, too?

The smart working stuff with only the bare necessities is typcial B&O. You have to love or hate it... sometimes I hate it but most of the time I'm loving it.
    The Beosound 5 is so inconspicuous and elegant looking at the same time; I love it.

BUT I wish they would update the interface for

- displaying elapsend and remaining time on the "now playing" screen with the cover
    - scrolling/searching within the current track like on a CD- or MP3-player because sometimes you just want to jump to the best part and listen to it
    - feedback for remote control commands (Did he understand that I pressed "MOTS" on the remote?" ...

And a big problem is missing software for conversion of WAV -> WMA losless as the Windows Media player only rips to WMA losless from a physical CD.
    Perhaps other members have good hints for this?!

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)