in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-12-2009 5:39 AM by k984942. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-04-2009 3:49 PM

Please help - Virgin V+ box switches itself off using BV7 STB

Sorry if this has been covered before, although I did search the forum and couldn't find anything.

I have a BV7 40 MKII and just had my local dealer connect it up  to a Virgin V+ box on AV3 (he connected my Apple TV to DVI-I), for some reason whenever I select Virgin (DTV) using my BEO5, Virgin starts up fine but then after a few seconds it turns off. It then takes an age for it to turn on again or I have to open the cabinet and do it manually.

Also, I have setup a number of channels on the BEO5 and the behaviour is very random, sometimes nothing happens at all, sometimes it changes the numbers and doesn't actually go to the channel and occasionally it actually works as expected.

I assume it has something to do with the STB or the IR cable - I have moved it a million times and re-taped etc but no luck.

Anybody had a similar experience and managed to resolve it? Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks

Filed under:
  • 10-04-2009 5:33 PM In reply to

Re: Please help - Virgin V+ box swtiches itself off using BV7 STB

ref. switching off - press GO then 0

• 10-04-2009 5:57 PM In reply to

Can you check operation with a different remote, e.g. Beo4? Just a chance that the Beo5 has got a keyboard problem. I once had an early HP programmable calculator: the keys sometimes performed a double click in error (additional click on the button release or upstroke). Also occasionally my Freeview box gets out of synch with the TV and switching the TV on causes the Freeview to go off: then need to intervene with the Freeview remote to get them both on or off at the same time.

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 10-05-2009 4:30 PM In reply to

I have a similar problem with my V+ box is that It sometimes will not turn on! I have to moved and restuck the ir eye. The channels change fine, but most of the time it will not turn on it will switch off no problem....

Any ideas??

• 10-07-2009 4:43 AM In reply to

Thanks for the replies.

Having spent a bit more time with it I think the TV is just very slow to respond to the remote through the STB. I can't stop the V+ switching off and Go followed by 0 doesn't seem to help bring it back on either. It only seems to switch off the first time I go to DTV and then try and change channel, once back on it is fine.

To be fair my dealer did warn me that it wouldn't be 100% perfect.

If you do work out how to improve the overall experience please let me know.

• 10-08-2009 8:31 AM In reply to

• fishta
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-12-2009
    • London
    • Posts 79
    • Bronze Member

This is a problem on quite a few Set Top Boxes and it is to do with Scart Control, The Bang & Olufsen television looks to see if the STB is on over the Scart and if it doesnt see a signal it will turn the box to turn on, when often the box is already on so it ends up turning it off instead.

This is a common problem if Scart Control is not set to ON on Sky Boxes so I imagine this would be the same on the V+ Box, you will just need to have a delve round in the settings to see if there is a Scart Control On/Off option in the Menu somewhere.

Cheers

Nick

BeoVision 7-40 MkV

• 10-10-2009 10:54 AM In reply to

• TEL
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Berks U K
    • Posts 92
    • Founder

Re: Please help - Virgin V+ box switches itself off using BV7 STB

I have the same problem quite often but not every time.

Sometimes it turns V+ off after I have selected DTV>stand> left/right = V+ off.

As a result I find I use the V+ remote to turn V+ on again rather  than Beo4 as there is a number of seconds delay on the Beo4 instructions with some of these 'catching-up' on themselves and digits being double counted ie- channel 103>no response>103>no response - then channel 103 appears and digits 103 again displayed - if you know what I mean.

My dealer fitted the V+ at the back of the BV7 does anybody else have this and has it worked OK or should it be placed horizontally ? (seems 99.9pct of his customers are Sky and I'm the only V+ customer of theirs)

Also- I find on some V+ channels the picture format appears too large - similar to Format 2 when playing DVD's, Hallmark always seems to do this. I have V+ settings of HDMI and widescreen 1080 - any thoughts ? 

TEL
  • 10-12-2009 4:02 AM In reply to

Thanks for the suggestion FISHTA, I checked the settings, it was already set to ON, tried turning it OFF just to see what happened and it didn't make any difference.

My dealer did warn me that the responsiveness of the remote could be slow, it is just very frustrating having to have the silver cabinet door open so that I can use the V+ remote to switch it back on.

Like TEL I seem to be one of the very few customers that have Virgin instead of Sky.

Anybody with suggestions please keep them coming...

• 10-12-2009 4:16 AM In reply to

danezro:

Thanks for the suggestion FISHTA, I checked the settings, it was already set to ON, tried turning it OFF just to see what happened and it didn't make any difference.

My dealer did warn me that the responsiveness of the remote could be slow, it is just very frustrating having to have the silver cabinet door open so that I can use the V+ remote to switch it back on.

Like TEL I seem to be one of the very few customers that have Virgin instead of Sky.

Anybody with suggestions please keep them coming...

I've got Freeview set up with the STB controller on one TV, and Virgin connected via the second scart (so have to use the V box remote after pressing V.Tape or Aux.) On another TV I've got the STB controller linked to a Skybox. The V box is nowhere near as responsive as the Skybox even though I'm using its own remote. But when using the STB controller with the Freeview box on the same TV there is a long delay between pressing the Beo4 and a new channel number appearing in the top left of the screen. and then a further delay before the channel actually changes. Non-regular users of the TV are regularly caught out by this and by the time the channel number has appeared, 001 has become 111 because of frustrated button presing on the remote!

Maybe your dealer is right. The delay in the STB signal getting through is too long for the V Box: my Freeview box can tolerate it most of the time but does sometimes do the opposite of what was intended (goes off instead of coming /staying on.) In my own case I can't imagine that the V Box would work very well as it's not very responsive (in my case) in the first place.

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 10-12-2009 5:39 AM In reply to

• k984942
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 11-10-2008
    • London, UK
    • Posts 194
    • Bronze Member

The Scientific Atlanta box is much much slower to respond than the newer Samsung box (I have had both)

Perhaps you could have Virgin replace your V+ box for the Samsung model. The remote commands are the same so your Beovision will still be able to control it not problem.

32" RF VCR Avant, 2 x 28" VCR Avant, DVD1, Beocom 6000, Beo5, A9 Keyring!

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)