in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-04-2009 2:39 PM by AdamAnt316. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-04-2009 1:57 PM

• AdamAnt316
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 08-17-2009
    • Massachusetts, USA
    • Posts 68
    • Bronze Member

MMC20E cartridge - back from the dead?

Hello everyone. I brought my Beogram 8000 to an audio forum-related get-together for show-and-tell. After letting everyone marvel at it's design and features, I cued up a record, and waited for it to do it's thing. Unfortunately, all I got was distorted sound out of one channel. No matter what I tried, the result was the same. I figured my MMC20E had picked the worst possible time to 'give up the ghost' suspension-wise. Sad

When I got it home, I decided to hook it up to my stereo system to see what it would do. Miraculously, it started playing perfectly, even with the same MMC20E! Surprise What could've caused the cartridge to act as if it'd gone belly-up, yet work just fine several hours later? Should I be looking into a replacement cartridge shortly? Thanks in advance!

-Adam

3000 | RX 2 | RX | TX 2 | 8000 | 1800

Is there such a thing as too many Beograms?

• 10-04-2009 2:35 PM In reply to

Re: MMC20E cartridge - back from the dead?

Loose internal connection - could work for years or could break permanently tonight!

• 10-04-2009 2:39 PM In reply to

• AdamAnt316
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 08-17-2009
    • Massachusetts, USA
    • Posts 68
    • Bronze Member

Re: MMC20E cartridge - back from the dead?

Peter :

Loose internal connection - could work for years or could break permanently tonight!

Probably. It definitely didn't seem "loose" when I was using it; the effect was there, and didn't seem at all intermittent. The effect was similar, if not identical, to the MMC5 I got with my Beogram TX 2 with it's floppy cantilever, though the MMC20E's cantilever isn't nearly as flexible. There is one detail I forgot to mention: for testing purposes, the unit was sitting on top of an Altec model Nineteen speaker at the time. Could this have had an effect on the cartridge?

-Adam

3000 | RX 2 | RX | TX 2 | 8000 | 1800

Is there such a thing as too many Beograms?

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)