in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-02-2009 5:26 PM by Peter. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-01-2009 4:02 PM

• 9 LEE
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Moderator - UK
    • Posts 5,223
    • Founder

BEOWORLD LIMITED card charge?

Hi All,

It has been highlighted that some members suspected a potential scam or fraud regarding a Membership Payment that recently came from their card when their membership was in fact renewed 2-3 months ago..

This is certainly my fault for assuming the card company would 'take' the money from your card as soon as you processed your membership (either new, upgrade or renewal) and then 'hold' the payment in their own account for release to BeoWorld once it had been approved.

To keep you all in the loop - here is how the payment system works...

It's a UK based payment system - so will ask for a postal code.  Being from the UK, it expects a UK postcode - so if you live in Paris 23592 (only an example, made up) then it will refer the transaction as a potential fraud as it does not match.  It doesn't mean it is, it just wants me to 'manually review' it to make sure it's not a 'Mr Buy Pills Online' from 'Pleaseyourlady-town' basically spamming or hacking - or worse, someone trying to purchase something with a stolen card.  Not much chance of that on here - but it's an 'off the peg' system that fits all.  It will also reject other mis-matches, but i won't bore you!

Once every 3-4 weeks, i securely log in and 'manually review' transactions on the e-payment system.  This allows payments 'sent for approval' (ie held) to be approved and get on that months credit card bill. Happy days for everyone.

However, i was called by HSBC and told that due to a very amateur and (obviously) failed attack on a 'block' of around 500 websites, BeoWorld being one, they would be changing my log-in details as a very over-protective security measure.  No problem i thought, you can't have too much web security..

However, it took 11 weeks for them to eventually get the new password to me and re-configure my details - by which time a whole heap of 'payments for review' had accumulated.  I approved them as i normally do, and thought it would simply release the 'held' funds - with no effect on anyone.

However, it appears the card charges have actually never been processed at the 'customer end' - and although they made their payments 2-3 months ago, it has only just charged their cards.  So, whilst being Gold/Silver Members and being in the draws / having access to manuals - it has blocked their payments from going through entirely.  

I can only offer my apologies - it's my fault for not being au-fait enough with how the e-payment system worked when it came to manual approvals, and i'm very sorry about that.  Credit Card fraud is something we simply are not subject to.. why would we be? - they target sites with goods that can be delivered and sold on.  

I can confirm that if a payment says 'BEOWORLD LIMITED' it will almost certainly be genuine.  If it says 'Solonica' and comes from PayPal - it's not, and belongs to the previous owner of the site.

Once again - you live and learn, and if there is anything i can do for anyone - please let me know.

Kind regards

Lee

BeoWorld - Everything Bang & Olufsen

• 10-01-2009 4:19 PM In reply to

Re: BEOWORLD LIMITED card charge?

I asked my girlfriend to pay my renewal back in April/May and though I gave her the funds, they were only withdrawn on 28 Sept. Now you may say that we should have checked the account to make sure the Switch transaction came out, but in reality how many of us actually do this for every payment we make with our cards? As she was two days away from being paid, the sudden withdrawal could have sent her perilously close to her overdraft limit...and put me perilously close to the dog house.

If this were a high street transaction, I would be asking for my money back. It's ok to apologise publicly, and that is noted, but couldn't more care have been exercised, particularly given the time that has elapsed???

Not on, I'm afraid >:(

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 10-01-2009 4:48 PM In reply to

j0hnbarker:

I asked my girlfriend to pay my renewal back in April/May and though I gave her the funds, they were only withdrawn on 28 Sept. Now you may say that we should have checked the account to make sure the Switch transaction came out, but in reality how many of us actually do this for every payment we make with our cards? As she was two days away from being paid, the sudden withdrawal could have sent her perilously close to her overdraft limit...and put me perilously close to the dog house.

If this were a high street transaction, I would be asking for my money back. It's ok to apologise publicly, and that is noted, but couldn't more care have been exercised, particularly given the time that has elapsed???

So your not happy with Lee's oversight, when you did not monitor the transaction either! If he couldn't check for 11 weeks due to not having a password, Its not his fault.  I think your over egging the pudding a little to be honest! Silver membership costs £15 

• 10-01-2009 5:05 PM In reply to

Nickyg63:

So your not happy with Lee's oversight, when you did not monitor the transaction either! If he couldn't check for 11 weeks due to not having a password, Its not his fault.  I think your over egging the pudding a little to be honest! Silver membership costs £15 

Nicky

It's not your call to decide whether £15 is an issue at the end of the month for me or my girlfriend.

My point about Lee's oversight was perhaps a little opaque, so I'm happy to be a bit more clear, whilst trying to remain even handed: I was trying to suggest that I would consider it the responsibility of the business owner to understand how his merchant services operate, not the consumer - i.e. me. Just to add a little more, I would have been fine had Lee flagged the issue and said 'look, this is the problem, and when I press the button, the cash is going to come out, so please be vigilant as you're going to be either £15 or £30 down in a day or so'. He did not and he has apologised for this, and as I said, this has been noted. We're not debating the relative merits of different amps or speakers here - so I don't consider there's much room for debate, other than between those people affected by this. Some won't be bothered at all, and that's cool, but some will, and respect for opinions expressed would...err...be respected.

• 10-02-2009 4:24 AM In reply to

• petermc
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Shepparton, Australia
    • Posts 87
    • Founder

To be honest it could be a lot worse.

With card payments, what is policy with a merchant and bank today may be totally different in a weeks time without any notice from the bank or processing company.

It would be impossible for a merchant to keep up with all the changes especially if you're are not advised; something which banks are not overly good at.

A good lesson for cardholders; check your statements. It would be no different to writing out a cheque and it not being cashed for a while.

Keep up the excellent work Lee.

Peter

• 10-02-2009 1:31 PM In reply to

j0hnbarker:

Nickyg63:

Nicky

It's not your call to decide whether £15 is an issue at the end of the month for me or my girlfriend.

My point about Lee's oversight was perhaps a little opaque, so I'm happy to be a bit more clear, whilst trying to remain even handed: I was trying to suggest that I would consider it the responsibility of the business owner to understand how his merchant services operate, not the consumer - i.e. me. Just to add a little more, I would have been fine had Lee flagged the issue and said 'look, this is the problem, and when I press the button, the cash is going to come out, so please be vigilant as you're going to be either £15 or £30 down in a day or so'. He did not and he has apologised for this, and as I said, this has been noted. We're not debating the relative merits of different amps or speakers here - so I don't consider there's much room for debate, other than between those people affected by this. Some won't be bothered at all, and that's cool, but some will, and respect for opinions expressed would...err...be respected.

Hi John I do respect your opinion, you have aired yours on a public forum! I agree that this was an oversight on Lee's behalf he has apologized openly for it.  I apologize about £15 comment, I understand that in the present climate money is tight for everyone. I tend to manage my finances very attentively and know how much money I have to spend each month, this may not be the case for everyone.  

I also feel that we receive excellent value for money on the forum and I feel the need to defend Lee. So please keep up the hardwork!

Cheers Nick

• 10-02-2009 3:09 PM In reply to

j0hnbarker:

Extraordinary.....!!

Michael

BV5, BV Avant, MX4000, MX1500

BS 7000, BS 5500

Penta III, Penta II, BL 4000, RL 60.2,  RL 35, CX-100 Alu

BL 7000, MCP6500, MCP5500,  BL 5000,  Beo4 (x2), BL 1000 (x2)

• 10-02-2009 3:25 PM In reply to

Bentleyman:

j0hnbarker:

Extraordinary.....!!

Elaborate.....!!

• 10-02-2009 5:26 PM In reply to

Please don't! Clearly this is not an ideal state of affairs which is why Lee has apologised. Not really his fault but we do hate to inconvenience members which clearly has been the case for John. For that we are very sorry. Clearly we will try to make sure this does not occur again but Beoworld is a little at the mercy of the financial institutions.

I don't think further discussion on a public forum of individuals' financial arrangements is going to be helpful though and I certainly can understand how such an occurence could make life difficult. Let's leave it there please.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)