in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-05-2010 1:51 PM by macjonny1. 24 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (25 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-29-2009 8:29 AM

Airport Express, Beoport and Beolabs

Hi there,

I have a spare set of Beolabs, and I was thinking whether it is possible to feed them with music (wirelessly) via an apple airport express (using a Beoport box in-between)? Could I control the loudspeakers using the Beo4 remote control?

So, in other words .. there would be no PC/Mac connected directly to the Beoport .. only the airport express feeding the audio signal and the two Beolabs.

Cheers,

Jesper

• 09-30-2009 11:24 AM In reply to

Re: Airport Express, Beoport and Beolabs

The Beoport doesnt do much without an audio master I believe.

What Beolabs do you have? Just connect them straight to the airport, you can control the volume of the Airport express from within Itunes ....

It may be a bit sensitive to adjust depending on the power of the speakers ...

If they have no line in connection, I would just built an adapter cable and supply the speaker with the 5V control power that keeps them switched on.

So what are your labs?

Cheers

JK

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 10-01-2009 10:34 AM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

Beoport requires a computer.

Stan

• 10-02-2009 4:02 AM In reply to

hi JK,

I have 2 times Beolab 6000 .. I do not see how I can connect them directly to the airport express ..?

Cheers,

jesper

• 10-02-2009 8:17 AM In reply to

the beolab 6000 manual can be downloaded from here

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/user-guides/?cat=Loudspeakers&prodid=113&typeid=1

Page 7 describes how to attach them to a non-B&O system

there is a phono socket that you use

and a switch [L-R-LINE] that you must switch to LINE

so a cable with a jack plug at the airport end and two phono plugs - one for each speaker is what you need

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 10-02-2009 4:02 PM In reply to

Sorry if this a stupid question or if the answer is somewhere in the forum and I just can't find it.

We are using Masterlink to connect the speakers in our house to the iMac and iTunes. We have an extra pair of 4000s. If I want to use them in another room, can I connect them to an Airport Express as described above?  If so, how do I control the volume of them?  Does the remote on the iTouch do that?  Could I also use an Airport Express to connected a Beosound 1 to iTunes using the auxiliary in of the Beosound 1?

Thanks!

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 10-02-2009 5:15 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

You can definitely hook the BS1 to an AE.  I used to do that... you just need a mini-jack to DIN cable (or I'm using mini-jack -> RCA -> DIN ), and remember how to turn on AUX (I usually hit the A.TAPE button on the beo4).

I eventually moved to a wired approach because the music would drop when my wife talked on the phone (a lot).

Stan

• 10-02-2009 7:53 PM In reply to

Razlaw:
    We have an extra pair of 4000s. If I want to use them in another room, can I connect them to an Airport Express as described above?

From the BL 4000 manual:

Connection to non-Bang & Olufsen systems

Use a special adapter with an ordinary phono/RCA plug in one end, and a DIN­plug in the other (‘Cable for line signal’ – optional accessory, available from your Bang & Olufsen retailer).

Set the switch to LINE.

Razlaw:
    If so, how do I control the volume of them?  Does the remote on the iTouch do that?

I am not sure ... I know there is a setting in iTunes but I have not experimented with it

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 10-03-2009 2:00 AM In reply to

• Kevin
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 03-02-2009
    • San Francisco
    • Posts 73
    • Bronze Member

My own setup is iTunes to Airport to BeoLabs.  

The part coming from the BeoLabs is "Cable - External Line" which is a DIN to RCA male as mentioned above.  It is a B&O product and the part # is 6270856.  You'll need one for each speaker.  From there, you will need an RCA female to mini stereo adaptor. 

Here's the tricky part.  Don't plug the mini stereo directly into the Airport otherwise you'll blow your speakers (per my own experience).  The Airport puts out a very strong signal.  You will then need a headset in-line volume control to attenuate.  (Its a volume control that goes from a sports earset into an ipod for example.) 

The in-line volume control goes between the adaptor and the Airport.  Adjust the volume control to about halfway.  The volume control then goes into the Airport.

I have iTunes on a Mac.  The Mac "sees" the Airport and asks you whether you would stream music thru Airtunes (the answer is yes).  You can then control the volume remotely from iTunes.  

It works splendidly for me.  I have three sets of B&O speakers each with an Airport.  I can run 1 room, 2 rooms, or all three thru iTunes.

Oh, and if you have the BL8000, you wont need the B&O din to RCA.  You'll just need a set of RCAs - male at both ends.

Hope this helps, and sorry if there were any redundancies to the posts of others.

BeoSound 9000, Beolab 8000, BeoLab 4000.   Beogram 4002/Grado Gold Amina conversion.

• 10-03-2009 8:46 AM In reply to

So there is no way to control the volume from the room the speakers are in.....i.e. by an iTouch?  the volume can only be controlled from the iMac?

• 10-03-2009 1:48 PM In reply to

• Kevin
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 03-02-2009
    • San Francisco
    • Posts 73
    • Bronze Member

Well, the iTouch has a bluetooth that streams to (wireless) bluetooth headphones.  So it seems its possible provided you have some sort of destination bluetooth device that has an audio out.  I don't know if there is such an animal out there.  Let's both do some homework and see if there is such a thing.

BeoSound 9000, Beolab 8000, BeoLab 4000.   Beogram 4002/Grado Gold Amina conversion.

• 10-03-2009 2:05 PM In reply to

• Kevin
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 03-02-2009
    • San Francisco
    • Posts 73
    • Bronze Member

Hello Raz.

Take a look at this.  It looks like it may fit your needs, but it's not cheap.  http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142IUBHK/Scosche-IUBHK-BlueLife-Home-Kit.html?tp=243

I don't think you will need the transmitter part of this unit because your iTouch already has a bluetooth transmitter.  

I'm also not sure about the sound quality but it is an attractive idea that you can control volume from something you have in your pocket.

I would say unpack it carefully in the event you don't like it so you can return it.

• 10-03-2009 4:43 PM In reply to

I currently use the Remote app on an iTouch to select music. It also has a volume control although I use the Beo 4 for that. It appears, from the following link, that the Remote app can be used to adjust the volume for individual pairs of speakers connected to an Airport Express.

http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/features/airtunes.html

• 10-04-2009 3:33 PM In reply to

Kevin:

My own setup is iTunes to Airport to BeoLabs.  

The part coming from the BeoLabs is "Cable - External Line" which is a DIN to RCA male as mentioned above.  It is a B&O product and the part # is 6270856.  You'll need one for each speaker.  From there, you will need an RCA female to mini stereo adaptor. 

Here's the tricky part.  Don't plug the mini stereo directly into the Airport otherwise you'll blow your speakers (per my own experience).  The Airport puts out a very strong signal.  You will then need a headset in-line volume control to attenuate.  (Its a volume control that goes from a sports earset into an ipod for example.) 

The in-line volume control goes between the adaptor and the Airport.  Adjust the volume control to about halfway.  The volume control then goes into the Airport.

I have iTunes on a Mac.  The Mac "sees" the Airport and asks you whether you would stream music thru Airtunes (the answer is yes).  You can then control the volume remotely from iTunes.  

It works splendidly for me.  I have three sets of B&O speakers each with an Airport.  I can run 1 room, 2 rooms, or all three thru iTunes.

Oh, and if you have the BL8000, you wont need the B&O din to RCA.  You'll just need a set of RCAs - male at both ends.

Hope this helps, and sorry if there were any redundancies to the posts of others.

And turning on/off the speakers is done how? using the b&o remote? or are they on all the time? or how does it work?

Cheers,

Jesper

• 10-04-2009 3:36 PM In reply to

I may be wrong, but I think the speakers will turn on automatically when they receive a signal. After a period of time with no signal they will turn to standby.

• 10-04-2009 9:38 PM In reply to

Kevin:

Thank you for that warning !!!

• 10-04-2009 11:53 PM In reply to

You can control the output of the airport from within itunes .... obviously you have to set it to low when firing up the setup.

Cheers

JK

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 10-05-2009 2:09 AM In reply to

• Kevin
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 03-02-2009
    • San Francisco
    • Posts 73
    • Bronze Member

Honestly, the volume thru iTunes to an Airport to a BL is verrrry loud even at the lowest volume setting on iTunes.  Each little increase is a quantum leap without the inline volume.  I blew up a BL4000 finding out.  I would highly suggest the inline volume control as a precaution.  Its just a couple bucks.  Wink 

• 12-29-2009 5:53 AM In reply to

Interesting thread. Thank you for everyones input.

------------------------- Looking forward to the Summer!
  • 12-30-2009 2:33 AM In reply to

• 12-30-2009 7:22 PM In reply to

• Kevin
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 03-02-2009
    • San Francisco
    • Posts 73
    • Bronze Member

Hi Guzz.  I have the equivalent. 

Happy New Year all!

• 01-02-2010 4:46 PM In reply to

With this type of set up (Mac, iTunes, Airport/Express to Beolabs with vol control) is it possible to play a source on your Mac like Skysongs (access to 4 millions songs) which is streamed to your Mac but not into iTunes?

Does anyone have such a set up or ideas on how to get it to work?

thanks

• 01-02-2010 4:55 PM In reply to

Is this what you are looking for ?

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/mac/

I tested their demo copy and it worked fine.

• 01-03-2010 5:57 AM In reply to

This http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?TabID=1&criteria=usb&ModuleNo=33144&C=SO&U=Strat15 works perfectly.

Ran several sets of speakers on Airport/Apple TV all night on New Years Eve. That combined with Remote on the iPhone proved unstoppable!

• 01-05-2010 1:51 PM In reply to

As someone suggested above get the in-line attenuator!!!

Also, you can control volume from itunes or the itouch (app is called "remote" and is a free download....beautiful!).  However, the volume is changed for all the speakers at once, you can't control the volume for each individual speaker AFAIK.

Page 1 of 1 (25 items)