in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-12-2009 6:45 AM by yachadm. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-27-2009 3:32 PM

• zz400
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-27-2009
    • Posts 1
    • Bronze Member

How to change the CD drive on an older Ouverture

Hi,

I searched for some technical advice in the forum but was not successful.

My old Ouverture /15years old stopped playing CDs. Had it to the dealer who asks for 350 EUR for repair, which I find quite a lot.

By coincidence I got a CD drive (CDPRO II) with PCB87.

My question to the experts: is it difficult to mount it? I am reasonably good in dealing with technical things (have worked on electronic stuffs but that is more than 20years ago).

Is there any detailed description available how to dismantle the Ouverture or any special hints what to do and what NOT to do?

Thanks for any advice!

zz400

• 09-29-2009 12:26 PM In reply to

Re: How to change the CD drive on an older Ouverture

From what I understand B&O has an entire upgrade kit that converts CDM 12 to CD PRO 2. This includes the mech/servo board and  controller+D/A, which is the long rectangular PCB that runs down behind the right glasss.

I do not believe you can swap the mech without replacing the controller+D/A board.

My knowledge is limited to CDM 12 and I suspect there might also be some proprietary firmware in the servo controller specific to B&O that maybe true of CD PRO 2.

Once I tried swapping in a known good generic servo board and it did not work with the B&O controller.

Derek

• 09-29-2009 5:47 PM In reply to

auric:

From what I understand B&O has an entire upgrade kit that converts CDM 12 to CD PRO 2. This includes the mech/servo board and  controller+D/A, which is the long rectangular PCB that runs down behind the right glasss.

I do not believe you can swap the mech without replacing the controller+D/A board.

My knowledge is limited to CDM 12 and I suspect there might also be some proprietary firmware in the servo controller specific to B&O that maybe true of CD PRO 2.

Once I tried swapping in a known good generic servo board and it did not work with the B&O controller.

Derek

I tried the same on my ouverture with the exact same results. The CD pro2 seems to be a different kind of mech and needing it's own adapted controller board I am afraid.

I ended up spending the 400$ on the repair with the original B&O parts. Still worth it for me.

• 10-12-2009 6:45 AM In reply to

• yachadm
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-24-2007
    • Jerusalem, Israel
    • Posts 687
    • Bronze Member

I'm glad I've got an older CDM2 based deck - these were made much earlier than the deck you've got, and still going strong.

Another testament to my theory that the older the unit, the better it is.

OK, OK, don't all jump on me at once!!!!!

Menahem

Learn from the mistakes of others - you'll not live long enough to make them all yourself!

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)