in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-29-2009 5:22 PM by joeyboygolf. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-23-2009 3:28 AM

• ChrDH
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 493
    • Founder

Bend MMC2, past salvation?

Hi there

I just bought a used RX2 with a MMC2 for 42 pounds sterling. When i was checking the sound at the seller I didn't find any faults (but perhaps I didn't listen enough), but when I came home I found out that the needle of the MMC2 was slightly bend and there is a odd low rumble of bass distortion (clearly noticable). Can I in any way restore the MMC2? The diamond seems to be in really good shape. I have attatched a picture.

Best regards

Christian

Beosound Ouverture, Beocenter 9000, Beovision MX6000, Beocord VX7000
  • 09-23-2009 3:30 AM In reply to

• ChrDH
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 493
    • Founder

Re: Bend MMC2, past salvation?

And here is one of the Beogram, just as entertainment...

• 09-23-2009 3:54 AM In reply to

The internal suspension is gone. Just like my old MMC2.

Nothing you can do about it yourself - send it to schallplattennadeln.de  for rebuild or get a SoundSmith...

I actually did both. I bought an SMMC4 for my BG6500 which I'm very happy with, and sent another MMC2 with a snapped cantilever to Axel for a new elliptical stylus. That is now in GF's BG7000 and sounds really good as well although I haven't directly compared these. It's still the cheapest option by far, not much sense paying the same money for a "NOS" MMC which will break in the same way sooner or later.

I don't know if the current cantilever/stylus can be reused (or if Axel uses them himself for something...). I'd get a new one anyway.

-mika

• 09-23-2009 4:29 AM In reply to

• ChrDH
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 493
    • Founder

Ok, thanks, I'll consider the options. Fortunately I got a spare MMC3 on ny BG6002 that I don't use at the moment, so I'll probably just use that for a while and figure out what to do. First thing to do is to get hold of a RIAA amp, I'll probably get this: http://nadelectronics.com/products/hifi-amplifiers/PP-3-Digital-Phono-Preamplifier with a build in A/D converter and software for transforming in to MP3.

best regards

Christian

• 09-23-2009 6:01 AM In reply to

Yes, there are only so many record decks one can use at the same time Smile Looks like a very nice deck, so it would probably be a good buy even if you invest ~100 euros for a cartridge rebuild (which would potentially serve your 6002 as well, I'd expect the rebuilt MMC2 to be better than an old MMC3).

Regarding the RIAA, why not get a Beomaster with one built in? Laughing

-mika

• 09-23-2009 6:29 AM In reply to

• ChrDH
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 493
    • Founder

tournedos:

Regarding the RIAA, why not get a Beomaster with one built in? Laughing

I got plenty of beomasters (3500, 5000, 6000) ... But none that will fit nicely besides my Ouverture and the BGRX2Smile. I also got a Rega Brio integrated amp and was thinking about running the rx2 via that and out via tape out to the ouverture, but there is not room for that either.

Was it easy to get a rebuild in Germany? how loong did it take and how expensive was it?

best regards

Christian

• 09-23-2009 12:56 PM In reply to

Well the prices are on the page I linked - the price depends on which stylus you choose (nude elliptical on sapphire cantilever, like the original MMC2, will be 159 euros - my plain elliptical was 99,-). I think it took exactly one week roundtrip, so it was pretty fast. Although the web pages are in German, you can correspond in English as well.

-mika

• 09-23-2009 1:15 PM In reply to

I had my MMC2 mended - it had a broken stylus - completely snapped. Very pleased with the results!

• 09-23-2009 4:45 PM In reply to

• ChrDH
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 493
    • Founder

Thanks guys, I'll send an email to Germany and arrange for a rebuild, it would be silly to have the mmc2 just sitting idle. How did you wrap yours? Nice to know that they understand English, my German is quite rusty.

I picked the NAD PP3 up today and it works just fine.

best regards

Christian

• 09-23-2009 5:22 PM In reply to

ChrDH:

Thanks guys, I'll send an email to Germany and arrange for a rebuild, it would be silly to have the mmc2 just sitting idle. How did you wrap yours? Nice to know that they understand English, my German is quite rusty.

I put mine first sideways in one of those small plastic clips that CF memory cards come in - it was tight and had no chance of moving in there so I thought it was safe... (apparently Axed didn't agree as on return, the cartridge was in a small jewel box with a foam insert Wink ). In the same shipment I sent an SP6/7, which I taped inside a small metal box that used to host Läkerol lozenges Big Smile And all that well-padded in a cardboard box, small enough to still pass as a signed-for letter.

Since then, Axel has added notices on the website telling not to send the cartridges simply dropped in an envelope (how silly is that?). Apparently some have been damaged in transit.

-mika

• 09-28-2009 3:44 AM In reply to

• ChrDH
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 493
    • Founder

Thanks Mika, I think I have some memory-card boxes somewhere. Did you ensure your shipment?

best regards

Christian

• 09-28-2009 4:20 AM In reply to

No I didn't. I have some experiences on Finnish postal insurance and it was pretty much useless considering the price - you may have different system over there. Plus, letters that are explicitly marked valuable may have a bigger chance of getting lost... And a broken MMC2 isn't really worth that much.

However, send it at least as a signed-for letter (or small parcel, whatever you have in Denmark) so you get a tracking number. Otherwise it will be impossible to know what and where happened if it gets lost.

-mika

• 09-28-2009 7:41 AM In reply to

• ChrDH
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Denmark
    • Posts 493
    • Founder

Ok, thanks once again.

Christian

• 09-29-2009 5:22 PM In reply to

I send them "international signed for" from the UK.

I did have a packet containing several broken cartridges go from the UK to Germany via ...........Australia !!!!!!

Regards Graham

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)