in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-22-2009 8:55 AM by andysingh. 30 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (31 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-22-2009 8:19 AM

Confused [*-)] dont buy beo lab 5 or beovision 9

sorry to post this guys, i have an endless amount of problems with a brand new beovision 9, as you know its £17.5000.00

i have been told its a LIPSINK fault and may not be rectifiable ! you can probably imagine i was horrified and shocked ! 3 months down the line still not able to fix this issue ! and the 2.5k watts beolab 5 ! bouncing around my room ! i haven't even cranked them up and they wobble and move round the room ! laughable and so so so annoying ! at £13k i didnt expect this horror i am going through with absolutely zero help from B&O ! someone please help me ! until this is solved i WOULD NOT SUGGEST ANYONE BUYS ANY BEOLAB5 SPEAKERS OR ANY BEOVISION 9 TELEVISIONS.

Filed under: ,
  • 09-22-2009 8:44 AM In reply to

• Ericvr6
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 205
    • Bronze Member

Re: dont buy beo lab 5 or beovision 9

Sorry but you got 3 years of warrenty and servies . Where is your dealer in this story . Give more info As how fare is your dealewr from your house is it a big store . what is a lipsink fault

eric

• 09-22-2009 8:46 AM In reply to

Sorry to hear about your issues. We have some pretty able people on this site. Perhaps if you went into some detail we might be able to offer further assistance. The products you bought (especially the loudspeakers) are pretty well regarded so if they can get the issues ironed out you should enjoy them tremendously. 

Go ahead and elaborate. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 09-22-2009 8:50 AM In reply to

• Ericvr6
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 205
    • Bronze Member

found it on wiki but the name is lip sync

Television transmission synchronization

An example of a lip synchronization problem, also known as lip sync error is the case in which television video and audio signals are transported via different facilities (e.g., a geosynchronous satellite radio link and a landline) that have significantly different delay times, respectively. In such cases it is necessary to delay the earlier of the two signals electronically to allow for the difference in propagation times. See also audio video sync and audio synchronizer.

Lip sync issues have become a serious problem for the television industry world wide. Lip sync problems are not only annoying, but can lead to subconscious viewer stress which in turn leads to viewer dislike of the television program they are watching.[1] Television industry standards organizations have become involved in setting standards for lip sync errors

• 09-22-2009 8:55 AM In reply to

Hi Eric thanks for your quick reply, my dealer is in essex , loughton, Lipsink is where the lip movements seen on the TV are not syncronised with the speakers. and i can not understand why the beolab speakers when turned up are rocking on my wooden floor, the dealer seems to be blaming the sky HD and my apple laptop for the problems. How very cute and clever!

• 09-22-2009 8:56 AM In reply to

• Ericvr6
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • The Netherlands
    • Posts 205
    • Bronze Member

mybe it is this your beo 5 are standing to close to your tv or the mic of the beo 5 has a problem

wiki

Incorrectly synchronized

There are different ways in which the AV-sync can get incorrectly synchronized:

• During creation AV-sync errors happens because of
      • Internal AV-sync error: Different processing delays between image and sound in video camera and microphone. The AV-sync delay is normally fixed.
      • External AV-sync error: If a microphone is placed far away from the sound source, the audio will be out of sync because the speed of sound is much lower than the speed of light. If the sound source is 340 meters from the microphone, then the sound arrives approximately 1 second later than the light. The AV-sync delay increases with distance.
    • During mixing of video clips normally either the audio or video needs to be delayed so they are synchronized. The AV-sync delay is static, but can vary with the individual clip.
    • Video editing effects.

Examples of transmission (broadcasting), reception and playback that can get the AV-sync incorrectly synchronized:

• A video camera with built-in microphones or line-in may not delay sound and video paths by the same number of milliseconds. A video camera should have some sort of explicit AV-sync timing put into the video and audio streams. Solid state video cameras (e.g. CCD and CMOS image sensors) can delay the video signal by one or more frames.
    • An AV-stream may get corrupted during transmission because of electrical glitches (wired) or wireless interruptions - this may cause it to become out of sync. The AV-sync delay normally increases with time.
    • There is extensive use of audio and video signal processing circuitry with significant delays in television systems. Particular video signal processing circuitry which is widely used and contributes significant video delays include frame synchronizers, digital video effects processors, video noise reduction, format converters and MPEG pre-preprocessing.
    • The video monitor processing circuit may delay the video stream. Pixelated displays require video format conversion and deinterlace processing which can add one or more frames of video delay.
    • A video monitor with built-in speakers or line-out may not delay sound and video paths by the same amount of milliseconds. Some video monitors contain internal user-adjustable audio delays to aid in correction of errors.
  • 09-22-2009 9:09 AM In reply to

Hey , thank you so much for replying, biggest issue is i cant trust the dealer ! the beovision 9 that was delivered to me first was 2 years old ! and i only realsied 3 months down the line and the dealer continually reasured me i was wrong, well they changed the TV as i was right . they have visited me house many many times to solve the problems but seem to be blaming everything else apart from the TV and speakers. the lipsink is hugely evident and now they are changing my new sky HD box, apparently if that does not cure the problem i have been told that i will have to live with it, NO NO NO WAY ! as to the speakers wobbling at a volume level of 60 yep 60 apart from turning the base on the TV down and the equaliser on my MAC to zero thats the only way to stop this. i asked myself have i purchased an ALBA or some cheap chinese brand ? 

• 09-22-2009 9:21 AM In reply to

What happens when you use the speakers built into the TV without the external speakers connected? Does this still cause lip sync issues?

Regards,
    Cal

• 09-22-2009 9:25 AM In reply to

• plagente
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 11-06-2008
    • Albi (France)
    • Posts 137
    • Silver Member

terrific story

http://p-lagente.blogspot.com/

• 09-22-2009 9:25 AM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that you have such an unsupportive dealer. You should write that directly to B&O!

Do I understand you correct that you use an Equalizer on highend speakers like the Beolab 5?

In my opinion these are speakers that are intended to listen to as they sound - without any external correction.

Do you use "Loudness" etc, too? Perhaps that's the problem with the speakers!

With equalizer and loudness you can damage nearly every speaker when you crank up the volume too much!

They are not a horn construction and I can imagine that the equalizer and/or loudness etc. disturbs the speaker because they adjust themselfes to the room automaticaly with their integrated microphones.
    Now the internal computer of the Beolab 5 thinks, "Ok, I'm done." - and after this you feed him with an equalized signal and it can't adjust itself anymore.

Try to set up every sound setting to "zero" (as you should always do for enjoying music with highend speakers!). No adjustment to high, low, loudness and external EQ like from the Mac. Adjust the TV the same.

Now you should let the speaker adjust themselves again. After adjustment: Test them, listen to them. How do they sound without adjusting the sound? Can you now "crank the volume up"?.

Perhaps you already damaged them, than you could hear some internal noises from the speakers that don't belong to music.

As english is a foreign language for me, I hope my point is understandable!?

• 09-22-2009 10:24 AM In reply to

Hi Cal , Thanks for your interest , yes mate  the lip sync is aparent in all mode settings, weather its 1/2/3/4/5 speakers. i also have sound differences in the dining room to the lounge. its all really frustrating.

• 09-22-2009 10:29 AM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

perhaps this thread helps about the lip sync problem BUT be VERY carefully in servicemode not to damage any thing because this should void your warranty!

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/t/28817.aspx

• 09-22-2009 10:31 AM In reply to

Thats just the story on the surface mate, i could have been lumberd with a £17.5000.00 TV and not even known!  the only way i found out was by persevering another reluctant source who suggested that i take them to court over the fraudulant sale. I just wonder how many other times that could have happened ?

• 09-22-2009 10:45 AM In reply to

TWG:

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that you have such an unsupportive dealer. You should write that directly to B&O!

Do I understand you correct that you use an Equalizer on highend speakers like the Beolab 5?

In my opinion these are speakers that are intended to listen to as they sound - without any external correction.

Do you use "Loudness" etc, too? Perhaps that's the problem with the speakers!

With equalizer and loudness you can damage nearly every speaker when you crank up the volume too much!

They are not a horn construction and I can imagine that the equalizer and/or loudness etc. disturbs the speaker because they adjust themselfes to the room automaticaly with their integrated microphones.
    Now the internal computer of the Beolab 5 thinks, "Ok, I'm done." - and after this you feed him with an equalized signal and it can't adjust itself anymore.

Try to set up every sound setting to "zero" (as you should always do for enjoying music with highend speakers!). No adjustment to high, low, loudness and external EQ like from the Mac. Adjust the TV the same.

Now you should let the speaker adjust themselves again. After adjustment: Test them, listen to them. How do they sound without adjusting the sound? Can you now "crank the volume up"?.

Perhaps you already damaged them, than you could hear some internal noises from the speakers that don't belong to music.

As english is a foreign language for me, I hope my point is understandable!?

Good point

If you use a mac  as a server with itunes, you must turn off the equalizer (which is fairly crappy anyways) and lower the volume a notch.
    Though I don't have beolab 5's  but other B&O active speakers , I still had to do that.
    The beolab 5's are specially designed to optimize your sound all by themselves and their should be no need for any equalizer as they can receive digital signals.

If you use Itunes or any other program to play video, lip sync can be a problem due to poor ripping or conversion of the files. I use plex that has a setup to allows control for the lip sync issue.
    Shouldn't be having any problem with a satellite or cable box, though. Just make sure the box is connected straight to the tv and not looped through a vcr or any other equipment or any image/sound converter. 

• 09-22-2009 10:45 AM In reply to

Hi. Thank you for your comments, i have informed B&O and they have told me only to deal with the dealer, with regards to the settings on the MAC you are quite right they should be Flat , i may have worded the equaliser incorrectly , although the equaliser is on a Flat level i was asked to turn the lower levels of base into a minus to help the lab 5s from moving. theloudness button is on the TV , which is off and the base and treble levels have been reduced by the dealer. It all sounds wrong to me, I let the speakers run on a level of 40 for half an hour every other day to wear them in as advised prior to cranking them up, they have only been driven to 60 as any further they used to jump on my wooden flooring so i immediately turned them down, thats not normal. lastly the speakers are in good working order on not damaged as checked by the dealer.

• 09-22-2009 11:09 AM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

andysingh:

Thats just the story on the surface mate, i could have been lumberd with a £17.5000.00 TV and not even known!  the only way i found out was by persevering another reluctant source who suggested that i take them to court over the fraudulant sale. I just wonder how many other times that could have happened ?

Ok, this is an absolutely NO GO!
    When I buy s.th. from my dealer he orderes it directly and new as it should be!

Speakers:
    Any sound setting for the speakers on any source should be set to zero = neutral, loudness off.
    Perhaps you need to reset the Beolab 5, too and let them re-adjust to your room.

After this they should work and sound normal. 

• 09-22-2009 2:31 PM In reply to

• mjmedlo
    • Top 150 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 06-07-2008
    • Arkansas, USA
    • Posts 384
    • Bronze Member

what type of flooring do you have?

my lab 5s move a little on my wood floor when they are turned up real loud

it may help to calibrate them again to keep them from moving

good luck on the lip sync issue. . i've only experienced that in link rooms

never in the main room

I'm ready for something new that I actually want to buy!

• 09-22-2009 7:01 PM In reply to

The lip sync issue can be fixed in the service menu, BUT if I recall correctly it affects all sources. So if there is only a delay on one source (aside from telling you that the issue is in the source!) it would fix one problem and cause another. My guess is that the fault lies with the service provider, but I hope you see it fixed one way or another. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 09-23-2009 1:39 AM In reply to

what puts me off the bv9 apart from it's crazy price is the fact the hdr module only records the channel you are watching , which is quite simply utterly bonkers

the only way round is to fit something like  a sky box - and after my terrible experiences with those ( hd and sd models ) i'd be loath to do so

popgear is grate™

• 09-23-2009 1:45 AM In reply to

thought as much , it's a sky problem

http://forum.beoworld.org/forums/p/20283/151167.aspx

and looks like bno are not the only ones affected

sorry , but sky's hardware is simply garbage of the lowest order( amstragic )

my box crashes EVERY day , while a sony hdr connected to my avant hasn't had one problem in over 3 years

nuff said

popgear is grate™

• 09-23-2009 4:10 AM In reply to

I did not realise the BV 9 was £17500 l have seen it quoted as £14500 

trying to pass off a 2 year old as new is appalling 

it seems the dealer could not even set it up properly 

hopefully all these issues can be resolved quickly it seems people on this forum have lots of experience in dealing with b+o problems

i agree sky is just a hyped up joke, virgin media beats it hands down but of course its limited in area usage why do b+o all ways push sky 

• 09-23-2009 7:51 PM In reply to

Check the usage counters in the service menu.

That will say how muchplay time the BV9 has had in total.

10%

• 09-23-2009 8:27 PM In reply to

You might have some faulty Beolab 5s there. I suppose you are not hearing much of a bass noise but they are still moving around? My theory is that they are generating very very high levels of subsonic bass wobble which causes this phenomena and might completely break down one of these days. I suggest calling your credit card company to deal with them (Amex Centurion has exceptional service), that is if you made your purchases using a credit card of course. Otherwise I don't see any choice but take them to court or file a report to the consumer association. You shouldn't be paying so much of your money to get this level of fuss. If you are really put off by B&O after this, may I suggest Meridian? 

• 09-23-2009 8:29 PM In reply to

still waiting for my Form 2 foam pads.  Paid for them about 3 months ago (at least).  Multiple calls to dealer, told the need to come from Denmark - like everything these days (since Chicago warehouse closed).  They cant even tell me if they are ordered.  I told them I was looking at a Beosystem 5 (she couldnt even give me any major details - like a price) - which was true, but ended up buying an Apple TV and looking at McIntosh stuff (all true).

I can completely relate to your pain - I would be very surprised if B&O is around a few years from now.

Also - for the amount this stuff costs, you should have to turn to this forum for solutions for problems with brand new stuff.

• 09-24-2009 4:24 AM In reply to

I have been informed that the beolab 5 can be unreliable and often need repair they are potentially more complicated than conventional design.

i do like the active speaker principle no need for expensive amps more efficient etc 

meridian have a great name in cd/dvd  players dont know there speakers also a home cinema system from meridian would be massive money.

Page 1 of 2 (31 items) 1 2 Next >