in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 07-03-2007 8:44 AM by Alex. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-09-2007 3:12 AM

• Maarten
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Wendover
    • Posts 19
    • Bronze Member

How best to connect a MacBook Pro to a Beovision 8

Just got myself a Beovision 8 and want to get a connection to my Macbook Pro mainly to get iTunes and DVD accross: Apple TV, cables, Mac mini? Any suggestions? 

Maarten
    PS all the equipment is in a small room.
  • 06-09-2007 9:07 AM In reply to

Re: How best to connect a MacBook Pro to a Beovision 8

The Apple TV would not do DVD. The Mac Mini can be controlled from the Beo 4 witht either Beoport or Lintronic or IRed/IRtrans. So if you like a dedicated media server this could become very nice. Except Beoport(that doesnt support fast scrolling) it is a bit fiddly though, i.e. it will take you some work (and frustration) to get it running.

Apple sells a DVI adapter I believe if it is not already included. a DVI to HDMI cable should work, sound you can funnel through line out / earphone out.

I think Monday next week Mr Jobs does a Keynote at the developer conference which means new product introduction. Since the MacBook and Macbook Pro Upgrades were released earlier they will for sure show something big. Could be a reworked Imac, could be a replacement for the 12" powerbookI am hoping they show an enhanced media server based on the Mac Mini format.

JK

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 06-19-2007 2:58 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

Well no hardware appeared at the keynote, so I guess the MacMini's gonna be around until MacWorld.

You can actually do DVD with the Apple TV, but it involves ripping the DVD, and doing it at high quality which can take quite a while! Ripping a DVD at 2,500 kbps H.264 2-pass on my MacBook Pro with Handbrake takes a day, although I'd imagine the new ones will be much faster because mine was very slow!

Weekly top artists:                   

• 06-19-2007 5:40 AM In reply to

DVI to HDMI connection for the image.

Either connect from the audio out minijack, or using a USB connector (various available).
    These run USB from your Mac to a box that has analog connectors of various kinds. 

As to DVD. I'm in the process of putting my favourite films and series on an INFRANT NAS server. Up to 3TB of storage space! (http://infrant.com/products/products_details.php?name=ReadyNAS%20NVPlus)
    Cheap, enormous storage space, self-protected back-up, readily available over Ethernet or WiFi. You still need to spend some time ripping the movies to the device - but as I purchase movies and series off the net I'll be steadily building up a library on this unit, and be able to pipe it to wherever I want it in the house.

• 07-03-2007 5:52 AM In reply to

does apple tv see a dvd in your mac's DVD drive??

• 07-03-2007 8:44 AM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Bath & Cardiff, UK
    • Posts 2,990
    • Bronze Member

No. Think of the Apple TV as a giant iPod which sits underneath your TV, but automatically updates constantly from your computer...

Weekly top artists:                   

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)