in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-07-2009 12:42 PM by blong. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-19-2009 5:56 PM

problem with beovision avant 28

Hi all, first post here so I am really hoping you can help.

I've just bought a 28" beovision avant tv + vcr. It was demonstrated before i picked it up and all worked fine. Once home we plugged it in and and got nothing - specifically, no red led on the top panel and no nice whumf from the tube firing up.

When you press the mains power switch you can hear a very faint high pitched whistle from somewhere inside, but certainly nothing dramatic.

Any ideas? I have got another I could use for spares if needs be.

Any help would be appreciated enourmously.

• 10-05-2009 4:28 PM In reply to

• blong
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-20-2009
    • Posts 47
    • Silver Member

Re: problem with beovision avant 28

Hi there = Your problem is possibly with the PIN code.  When the TV has been powered down for more than 30 mins, the PIN code has to be reactivated.  Refer to page 61 in the User Manual = Regards Brian (Northumberland)

• 10-05-2009 4:41 PM In reply to

• BegBeo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-23-2008
    • Stockholm - Sweden
    • Posts 60
    • Gold Member

I'm not entirely sure, pin code was introduced after year
    2003 as the VHS with 28 "does not have a pin code.

I believe more that the fault is due to the picture tube is broken. .
    I sell pre-owned Bang & Olufsen and serve them as best I can and I had many 28 "avant which hade wrong on the picture tube.
    Regards Jan
  • 10-06-2009 9:58 AM In reply to

• blong
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-20-2009
    • Posts 47
    • Silver Member

Ok = Forget about PINs just now.  Are you able to check circuits with a digital multi-meter?  Could you find out if the PSU is running or not?  Is anything happening at all?  If you put the back of your hand on the screen face-plate at switch-on,  do you detect any static there?  Will try and get the Service diagrams etc and see what can be achieved = Cheers for the moment  - Brian (Northumberland)

• 10-06-2009 11:37 AM In reply to

I am 99.9% sure there is no static, but I will double check. Could you give some guidance on which circuits to check and what for? Have very basic electronics competence so happy to poke around with a multimeter.

• 10-06-2009 2:53 PM In reply to

• blong
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-20-2009
    • Posts 47
    • Silver Member

Hi again = I still have no cct diagrams for the Avant 28 but it sounds like you may have a LINE OUTPUT stage problem (hence the whistle noise).  Unless you are used to working on LIVE tv ccts, where there are some dangerous voltages, I do not recommend you do this.

You could look for the LINE OUTPUT transistor and check it for defect.  Unsolder it from the cct, if necessary.  Look for dry joints (if you are familiar with these) and re-solder any obvious ones.  If you are experienced enough and able (and I stress this) remove the line output transistor and connect a 240v light bulb in its place and see if the bulb lights when you switch the TV on.  As I say, do not attempt to work on the tv LIVE if you do not have the experience!!!

If the bulb does not light, you probably have a PSU problem, so look around that section for obvious problems.  Are you familiar with any of this circuitry?    Anyway, see what you can find out and let us know.  Good luck just now. = Brian (Northumberland)

• 10-07-2009 12:42 PM In reply to

• blong
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-20-2009
    • Posts 47
    • Silver Member

Hi again = Have you had a look at the On-Site Service Guide and Fault Flow Chart?  You might find this very useful and which may lead you to the trouble easier than some earlier guidance.  This info is accessed via the Products section (Service and User Manuals) - follow the links and download the pdf = Good luck Brian (N)

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)