in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-25-2010 7:48 PM by gary2002. 61 replies.
Page 3 of 3 (62 items) < Previous 1 2 3
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-29-2009 4:05 PM In reply to

Re: new masterlink

I'm not sure having well understood this new masterlink... As I'm now having a new house built, I wanted to connect 2 beovisions (BV 7-32 in the bedroom and BV 10 in the living room), with a bl 3500 in the kitchen, a beosound 3000 in the living, a pair of Bl 4 in a bedroom. I considered having some masterlink cable running through the rooms. But each room will also receive a RJ 45 socket, because its mandatory in France...without knowing the use of them.

I'd like to know if it's still worth having a masterlink connection and a RJ 45 socket in each room. Could I use these RJ 45 sockets and get a wifi network for internet? Do I have to get some kind of dispatch box close to the electrical panel?

Thanks for help. 

Marc.

• 12-29-2009 8:57 PM In reply to

Marco6474:
    each room will also receive a RJ 45 socket, because its mandatory in France

do you know what the legislation specifies for the cable type that lies behind the RJ 45 socket (Cat7 is the rumoured new data link)?

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 12-30-2009 12:30 AM In reply to

• 05-03-2010 8:49 AM In reply to

CAT7 BeoNet

Greetings,

I'm about to renovate and am installing CAT7 - at this stage it simply replaces the ML cable and runs as a "standard" ML setup would run. I'll be connecting the CAT7 cable to ML wall sockets (not RJ45 at this time). However, I'll be running additional / multiple cable runs to a central location in order to take advantage of future hybrid analogue / digital transmissions and eventually, fully IP-based digital schemes.

B&O training is underway - or so I understand. One question I have asked of my B&O contacts is whether the CAT7 cable is to be the 600MHz or 1200MHz variant. The 5-second answer is obviously 1200MHz but I'll confirm before I commit to buy my first reel of CAT7. 500m of CAT7 - here I come!

gary2002

• 05-03-2010 9:17 AM In reply to

Re: CAT7 BeoNet

http://www.hifi4all.dk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=46053&PN=1&TPN=54

Adapter, IHC Net stik til MasterLink and PowerLink. 

http://www.av-connection.dk/?PGr=1803&ML=327

Installation og bruger vejledning til Lauritz Knudsen LK.

IHC Net Bang & Olufsen PowerLink modul BO 100- PL

http://www1.lk.dk/katalog/vejledning/97797_02.pdf

http://www1.lk.dk/katalog/fam/Texter/Txt14.htm

http://www.lavprisvvs.dk/shop/moduler-6990c1.html

http://www.av-connection.dk/?PGr=1805&ML=328

/ Peter Pan

• 08-27-2010 5:37 PM In reply to

I have my CAT7 installed. From a central location, multiple cables run to the study, garage and family room - 4 RJ45s to the study, 8 RJ45s to the family room, 2 RJ45s to the garage. In addition, another CAT7 runs to each of these locations as a dedicated ML run, for a ML wall socket to be installed. My passive link is to be located at the "hub", or central location.

For less then A$2 per metre, I've also run 6 cores of 62.5um optical fibre. If the CAT7 isn't enough, the fibre will blow it away!!

Still connections and configurations to be done, but getting closer to the final objective.

gary2002

• 08-27-2010 5:59 PM In reply to

I take it you live in Australia? Did you do this yourself, or did you get an installer?

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 08-28-2010 1:42 AM In reply to

Yep - in Australia.

No installer required - I've run the CAT7 and optical fibre (as well as RG6 antenna) while the framing was open (no wall or ceiling linings) all back to the back of the integrated garage where the "hub" will be located. I'm using R&M RJ45 connectors for CAT7. I've bundled all of the CAT7, optical fibre and antenna cables together and wherever possible, run them as far away from power cables as I can.

The R&M RJ45 connectors require no tooling to install - they'll be a bit of a fiddle, but I don't need any special tools to crimp the wires. They also come with white plastic adapters to fit a standard Australian Clipsal 4-gang wall plate to give me four network points. The optical fibre will sit there for a while until I work out what I want to do with it.

Inside my hub, I'm yet to install a patch panel frame, but I'll do that later. I'm going to use a standard blank Clipsal wall plate and try my hand with a Dremel tool to fit the MasterLink socket.

gary2002

• 08-28-2010 2:54 AM In reply to

great ! Thanks :-) I don't suppose you took any pictures of "work in progress" ? Might be interesting for folks ... start a new thread "Installations I have know ..." Laughing

• 08-28-2010 4:04 AM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-20-2009
    • Glen Waverley, Victoria, Australia
    • Posts 245
    • Gold Member

elephant:
    great ! Thanks :-) I don't suppose you took any pictures of "work in progress" ? Might be interesting for folks ... start a new thread "Installations I have know ..."

+1

I installed some Cat 5 going from HDMI in the lounge room to HDMI in the bedroom.  Now i can watch foxtel in the bedroom :-)

• 10-25-2010 5:18 PM In reply to

I will try to post some photos of my installation when I get a chance. It is still a work in progress and my "hub" is a bit rough-and-ready - I'd like to spend a little time lining it and tidying it up before I install RJ45 racks, and my shielded R&M RJ45 sockets, etc.

My installation is a mix of CAT7 for normal "ethernet" use and CAT7 to "replace" ML runs. I'm going to wire ethernet-only cables according to the T568A scheme.

My hub connects four CAT7 ethernet runs to the study and eight CAT7 ethernet runs to the family room. In addition, another CAT7 run goes from hub to study and hub to family room to replace the functionality of the ML cable I would normally have run for such an installation.

But I also have existing ML runs (from a 3500 speaker) connected to my Avant / Beosound 3000 combination and a ML wall plate in the lounge room. From this setup in the lounge, some of my left-over ML cable has been chased inside mortar joins and alongside a gas line to run in to my media hub in the garage - which is where connections (using CAT7) will be made to my study (PC-Link2 / Apple iMac) and family room (Avant and Beosound 3000 will be moved out there). This will leave the 3500 in the lounge / dining area for radio / net.music playback. A Passive Link amp will connect to ML inside the hub and run outdoor speakers and an IR controller.

So, back to the hub. As you can tell, the CAT7 for my B&O system is merely replacing the ML cable - everything remains analogue, for now.

So, leaving the ethernet cables aside, I'll have inside my hub:

- a standard ML cable coming from the lounge (3500 speaker and ML wall plate where the Avant/3000 used to be);
     - a CAT7 cable coming from the study (PC-Link 2 fed by an AirPort Express and USB to the iMac), connected through a standard ML wall socket in the study;
     - a CAT7 cable going to the family room (where the Avant / 3000 will be, connected conventionally to 4000 speakers and BeoLab 2) connected via a standard ML wall socket, and
     - a Passive Link amp (with standard ML socket).

ML cables have three twisted pairs, three separate wires and earth wires and braid - 9 "active" conductors and earthing. CAT7 has four twisted pairs, earth and braid - 8 "active" conductors and earthing. It's this "mix" of ML and CAT7 I'll be trying to tie together to form a working ML setup.

My understanding of the ML wiring (from the paperwork accompanying the ML sockets) follows. The numbers are the ML socket pin numbers, the colours on the left are the ML conductor assignments and the colours on the right are what I believe will work using CAT7 (four twisted pairs) instead of ML.

01 | Orange | Left +L | Orange
    16 | Red | Right +R | Brown
    02 | Green | Data + | Green
    11 | Blue | - Supply Voltage | Blue
    13 | White/Orange | Left -L | White/Orange
    01 | White/Green | Data - | White/Green
    15 | White/Red | Right -R | White/Brown
    03 | White/Blue | ML-Sense | White/Blue

So all appears "normal" with the Brown/White-Brown pair of CAT7 replacing the Red/White-red pair of ML.

What is missing from this list is the pink ML conductor, "+ Supply Voltage". In all ML installations I've seen, ML-Sense (pink) and +Supply (white-blue) have been soldered together. So, I propose that where I'm using an ML socket, I install a link from pin 03 (ML-Sense) to pin 12 (+ Supply), but simply use the single White/Blue conductor inside the CAT7 cable. Or, is + Supply required at all?

Well, I'll throw all this out there in the hope that I can get a sanity check from the experts among you. Hopefully what I've described to you all makes sense - happy to answer any questions you may have.

Cheers - gary2002

• 10-25-2010 7:48 PM In reply to

Just noticed an error in the first sentence of my second-last paragraph. I described the ML-Sense as the pink ML conductor, when in fact it is the white-blue conductor. The pink conductor is the + Supply Voltage.

Sorry :-{

gary2002

Page 3 of 3 (62 items) < Previous 1 2 3