in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-20-2009 5:33 AM by Dave. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-16-2009 4:48 PM

Avant & Freesat EDIT: TOPFIELD 4000 PVR RECOMMENDED???

I have a six year old Avant 32 DVD which has been used at different times with STB controller to view Freeview via a Panasonic box, and Sky via a skybox.

I am now thinking of getting a Freesat box. Can anyone recommend a Freesat Box (or suitable sat receiver) for use with the Avant?  Apart from Sky, do any manufacturers stick to the same remote control codes for later equipment (so using an old STB listing on the Avant would still control a current model?)

I want to get away from satellite subscription if possible, and the Skybox is pretty unfriendly when it comes to trying to reorganise the channels to prioritise the FTA channels.

Graham

EDIT: SEE LATER POST RE TOPFIELD

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

• 09-17-2009 1:50 PM In reply to

Re: Avant & Freesat

From the response (and reader numbers) to this post I guess that the Avant is well on its way to the Beoworld Vintage section!

Any input from Keith would be appreciated re satellite STB manufacturers who keep to the same remote control codes when producing new boxes.

Maybe my only option is to go through the STB menu on my Avant and try to pick-out a satellite receiver still in production!

Graham

• 09-18-2009 12:04 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

I have the same problem with my BC1. I am desparately trying to find a STB that i can use with its stb-c

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

• 09-18-2009 6:48 AM In reply to

Dave:

I have the same problem with my BC1. I am desparately trying to find a STB that i can use with its stb-c

Hi Dave,

I also have a BC1, currently using a Panasonic Freeview box through its STB controller. I will have the same problem as with my Avant when I want to switch it to satellite. In the UK Sky seem to keep the same codings when they upgrade their boxes, but they have a very unfriendly EPG and if you want just the FTA services the EPG is a nightmare to use. Hence my desire to find a current Satellite box with a friendly EPG for FTA but using the (now out dated) Avant/BC1 stb chips which I understand cannot be upgraded further.

Graham

PS I've gone through the set top box listings for my Avant, and can I find a receiver still in production that the stb module will control? No!

Not only that but searching for each listed receiver on both Google and eBay produces little of use.... except for the Sky boxes!

• 09-18-2009 9:10 AM In reply to

Why not upgrade your STB controller chip yourself, the new one has as well as SKY new boxes for free to view channels.

The chip should only cost you 30.00 sterling at the most, and is fairly easy to install if you take your time.

regards Douglas

• 09-18-2009 9:38 AM In reply to

Douglas Hunter Cunningham:

Why not upgrade your STB controller chip yourself, the new one has as well as SKY new boxes for free to view channels.

The chip should only cost you 30.00 sterling at the most, and is fairly easy to install if you take your time.

regards Douglas

Hi Douglas,

I had assumed that my Avant (one of the last made???) had got the latest STB controller with a chip and that there weren't any later chip updates  available. I may have a code list 1 chip, in which case are you referring to the code list 2? Is code list 2 available on a chip/module?... I had assumed, rightly or wrongly, that this was for later  TV's with PC upgradeablle software.

Graham

• 09-18-2009 4:15 PM In reply to

Hi again, I know this because Ive just picked up a used 28" Avant RF and wanted the latest box list for the controller!

There are 4 updtes/areas (Eu-North, Eu Middle,Eu west &Eu south some boxes are on all lists. All four software chips start with 4 i.e 4.10, 4.12 ,4.11 if I remember correctly on the dealers PC screen,I have print-outs of table 4.11 W-Eu & 4.10 N-Eu, if you want them I can fax or E-mail them to you. The chips are updated because they are the same for all  controllers which dont have flashi.e B5 ect.

regards Douglas.C

• 09-19-2009 4:54 AM In reply to

Hi Graham I had one of the last avants as well, I had my chip upgraded a few months back. It cost around £70 and will control sky+ topfield, apple tv and loads more later stuff there is a thread on here from a while stating what it controls

• 09-19-2009 8:18 AM In reply to

Thanks for all advice above. Have now found thread with advice from Keith re latest chip version (4.01 western europe.) Just need to find/check list of receivers supported.

If I can't find the list I'll contact Douglas.

Graham

• 09-20-2009 4:07 AM In reply to

Re: Avant & Freesat TOPFIELD 4000 Recommended?

OK. Having found and gone through the 4.01 listing of receivers, it looks as if the Topfield 4000 PVR might be one of the few receivers still in production on this list and suitable for UK satellite reception. Any experience on this forum of using this receiver for Freesat (i.e. all FTA channels from ASTRA 28.2?) Any better alternative satellite receivers remaining on the list that I've overlooked?? (The list is available via Beoworld main site for Gold members so I assume I can't paste it here.)

Graham

• 09-20-2009 5:33 AM In reply to

• Dave
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Brisbane, Australia
    • Posts 2,328
    • Bronze Member

Re: Avant & Freesat TOPFIELD 4000 Recommended?

Upgrade the chip! You can choose something like a tivo, or apple tv etc, that's what i did with BV3

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort.”

Your health and well-being comes first and fore-most.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)