in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-26-2009 11:24 AM by Stan. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-14-2009 4:22 AM

BeoSound 5 won't start up

Hey guys,

Was wondering if anyone could help. For the last few days I've been unable to turn on my BeoSound 5. The little red light is on the screen and the master has electricity since I can see the ethernet lights and some lights coming from inside but no matter how many times I try to unplug it and plug it back in all I get is the little red light on the screen.

Are there any tricks I'm not aware of for trying to start it up?

Thanks for any help!

Dimitri

• 09-14-2009 7:25 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Re: BeoSound 5 won't start up

Did you try a reset of the BM5? There is a little switch on the back of the BM5...

On the back you will also find a red light that changes to green when BM5 is powered up.

Stefan

• 09-14-2009 7:58 AM In reply to

I tried the switch at the back of the BM5. The light at the back is green. If I keep the switch pressed it turns to red, press it again and it goes back to green.

No matter what the BS5 doesn't display anything except for the small red light at the top right which stays on all the time, I can't even get it to flash as if it was turning on.

Dimitri

• 09-14-2009 8:48 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Ok. So BM5 is working.

Can you hear music?

Is it possible to navigate with Beo4?

Would you tell a bit more about your setup?

Have you connected a Beovision?....

Stefan

• 09-14-2009 9:41 AM In reply to

Sorry for not giving more detail, this is my first B&O system so it's not connected to anything else. The Beo4 remote doesn't seem to do anything since the screen of the BS5 won't turn on. I can't hear any music and even though the BM5 has the green light at the back, the light on my BeoLab 8000 speakers stays red rather than turn green as it used to when the system would turn on.

My dealer seems to be pretty useless at the moment and asked me to call back tomorrow when the person who deals with these small issues is back in. Doesn't seem small to me at the moment but I can still hope that it's nothing major!

• 09-14-2009 10:36 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Maybe you want to try a reset. Set BM5 to standby via switch (red light). Disconnect for 10 minutes from the mains, reconnect, wait 5 minutes and try to start the system via Beo4 pressing N.MUSIC GO.

Stefan

• 09-14-2009 1:19 PM In reply to

Thanks for the advice but no luck. Tried exactly what you said but can't get it to come back to life. Will see when my dealer can come take a look.

Dimitri

• 09-14-2009 1:36 PM In reply to

I had the same problem ...
    the beosound (display) was defect.
    the master started without a problem but it could not detect the extral display.
    I was able to navigate on the tv screen connected on the master.
    If you don't have BV7/9 connected, try to connect a normal VGA screen, it should display something if the master works fine
    anotyher test you can do is check if your computer, if ons connected,  sees the master
    normally you should be able to open the shared drive.

nico

• 09-17-2009 3:03 AM In reply to

Just a quick update, the source of the problem is coming from the BM5. I took it into the dealer who hooked it up to a working system and all we got was the red light on the BS5. Seems that the BM5 isn't even booting up so off to service it went and now I have a nice 10-15 day wait before I get it back. I sure hope I don't have to start copying all my music back onto a new unit, but as long as it works I'll be happy!

Thanks for all your help!

Dimitri

• 09-19-2009 7:23 AM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

Hi Dimitri,

does the BM 5 start up when only a DVI-Monitor is connected to the separte DVI-Port?

As far as I know the BM 5 can NOT start up with a foreign BS5 controller. I was told that the Beosound 5 controller + the Beomaster 5 are married via serial numbers and if you connect a foreign Beosound5 to your Beomaster it should NOT work!?

But anyway I hope that they will replace your defective unit very fast and you can finaly enjoy your Beosound 5 like it should!

• 09-25-2009 1:41 PM In reply to

Sorry for taking so long to reply but I got a call today that the BM5 was ready for pick up. Went in to the store and they told me that it was the motherboard that had failed and had to be replaced.

Well got home, plugged everything back in and it worked! Unfortunately now N.Music works but under N.Radio I don't see any channels, languages, genres, nothing at all!!!!!

Dealer is closed so I'll call tomorrow, but does anyone have any idea why it's not showing anything? I've got it connected to the internet, I can find it on my mac using BeoConnect.

Thanks!

Dimitri

• 09-25-2009 4:16 PM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

You have to register your BM5. 

Stefan

• 09-26-2009 6:22 AM In reply to

Thanks for your answer Stefan, N Radio is back and working great.

Now I have one more issue and I really hope it's the last one. My system doesn't seem to be finding any new software updates. What I've noticed is missing is the ability to use the CD and Radio buttons on my Beo4 remote. My system is set as the master but the options don't appear. I've notice that the version listed for the BS5 / BM5 Application is 4.00.00.0787 which I don't think is the latest whereas the BM5 ML Firmware is 2.27 which I thought was the latest.

Anyone know how I could go about to upgrade to the latest version as the Update Software doesn't find anything and I've pretty much given up on my dealer helping me!

Thanks again!

Dimitri

• 09-26-2009 11:24 AM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

Dimitri,

My bs/bm application version is 4.02.02.1611

My ml firmware is 2.27

If I recall correctly, the ML firmware is not necessarily updated with each software update.

If selecting "update software" from settings->maintenance doesn't update the software, then I'm not sure what to do.  I'd double-check that my network was working and try a couple times at different times of the day...  maybe the B&O software update sites isn't always available (or can only support so many users at one time)?

If none of this works, I'd consider running "recovery", but I've never done this so I would proceed with caution.  Hopefully, others have better advice.

Stan

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)