in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-15-2009 8:20 AM by gburgess. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-13-2009 9:40 PM

Connecting Avant, Beomaster 4500, and Penta 1's

I recently got a blue Avant 32 inch, which I love. It has Penta 1's on either side, which are connected via MCL to my Beomaster 4500. I want to use the Penta 1's (which do not have a powerlink connection, although I have the adapter cable to go from powerlink to the Penta input) with both the Beomaster 4500 and the Avant. The Avant, of course, is a Masterlink product. I also have all of the DIN sockets in use on the 4500 with CD, Tape, and Beogram 4500 phono, and an Ipod going in to the Aux input. So - is there a way to connect all this stuff and and play the Avant through the 4500 to the Pentas, or the 4500 through the Avant to the Pentas?

Thanks for any suggestions.

• 09-14-2009 5:17 AM In reply to

Re: Connecting Avant, Beomaster 4500, and Penta 1's

If you have the Dolby card in the Avant (I have a spare one if you don't) you could plug the Penta's in there (as I have).

It's then just a case of connecting the 4500 to the Avant, I'm not sure if the 4500 has a ML connection.

Then just set the Options so that it always plays through the TV route.

Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill!!!

• 09-14-2009 6:07 AM In reply to

• Opman
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-31-2007
    • Cheshire, UK
    • Posts 323
    • Bronze Member

Hi

I'm assuming that as your Pentas don't have a Powerlink socket they are BeoVox Penta which is a passive speaker as opposed to BeoLab Penta which is active.

The BeoVox Penta can't be connected directly to the surround board of an Avant as there would be no amp to drive them. You could however use an ML/MCL convertor to connect them to the Avant. If you go that route, you will need a BeoLink convertor to connect the ML socket of the Avant to the Aux socket of the BeoMaster 4500. In  this instance the Avant would be in option2 and the Beomaster4500 in option 0. All IR commands will go via the Avant.

Alternatively you could connect the BeoVox pentas to the BeoMaster4500 negating the need for the ML/MCL convertor, however you would still need a BeoLink convertor to connect the Avant to the BeoMaster4500. In this set up both products will be programmed to option1 and if you want to play Avant sound through the Pentas you will need to use the "AV" command on your Beo4. If the Beo4 is an older style, you will have an AV button. If it is a later version Beo4 you will need to add "AV" to the list function.

Hope that helps.

Opman

• 09-14-2009 6:30 AM In reply to

The Beolab Penta 1 was an active speaker without a powerlinkconnection. They where connected bij speakerlink. If you have the powerlink-adapter you can connect them by powerlink.

I self had some Penta 1's and the soundquality was much better when i connected them bij speakerlink (Beosystem 3500), so if this is an option, connect them with your Beomaster 4500.

For the connection between the Beomaster 4500 and Avant you need a ML/MCL converter. They are still available at the B&O dealer.

• 09-14-2009 8:09 AM In reply to

• Russ
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-07-2007
    • Washington, DC USA
    • Posts 641
    • Bronze Member

Pentalex is soooo close....

YOu can do as he advises; but my preference would be to leave the Pentas attached to the Avant, and then use a 'New BeoLink Converter' cunning between the ML socket on the Avant and the Tape 2 socket on the 4500.  Avant in V. Opt 2, BM-4500 in A.Opt 0.

Russ

We kid because we love.

Bang & Olufsen Tysons Galleria

McLean, VA USA

• 09-15-2009 8:20 AM In reply to

Thanks for the all the tips. So - to be clear, I have Beolab Penta 1's, so they are active. The Dolby is all built in to the 32 inch Avant - I believe it is one of the most recent US Avant models.

The New beolink converter, I assume would then have remote function of the 4500 running through the Avant. Does that plug into the ML port on the Avant? If I do that, then I can't use the Beolink 7000 in two way mode - or would that still work?

What if I hook up the Penta's to the 4500, and then run the powerlink left/right speaker out from the Avant to the TV/Aux port of the 4500, and leave it in option 0? Would I need a cable to combine the left and right powerlink signals from the Avant? If I pressed TV on the Beo4 or 7000, would that switch the source on the 4500 to the tv/aux port?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)