in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-16-2009 10:54 PM by darioazul. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (21 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-11-2009 4:00 PM

The Beatles.... need I say more?

I have been away from my B&O stuff for a few days, so I have not had a chance to listen to any of the new releases.  Has anyone heard and want to comment?  What about the mono versions?

I cant wait to get home!

Kinda getting excited about music again

-michael

• 09-11-2009 4:17 PM In reply to

• Calvin
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • London
    • Posts 233
    • Bronze Member

Re: The Beatles.... need I say more?

A dozen albums, $12 each equals over $140 and then tens of millions of people likely buying the full set.  Sorry, I just see it as a money making exercise.  Don't get me wrong, I love the music but I have everything on vinyl and I think that those albums played on a decent B&O turntable are as remastered as I need.

The fans have bought the singles, the LPs, then the tapes for the car, then the CDs and now it's yet another harvest of money.  I think it was summed up when McCartney and Yoko were arguing and went to court about rebranding some titles McCartney-Lennon rather than Lennon-McCartney because Paul was after slightly more money via the royalties.  This is a guy worth $500m+ and he's spending his retirement chasing a court case for a slightly larger income.  Sorry, it's just really petty and I refuse to shell out money for albums I already own.

(I would like to know though if the remastered version of Hey Jude has the hidden swearing in it still though)

• 09-12-2009 3:56 AM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

At first, I was interested in buying the whole set, so I could for once have the complete Beatles discography. I have a few albums and the 2 best-ofs (red and blue). But when I discovered the price, I was quite angry, because IMO it is ridiculous to ask that much money for albums that where recorded 50 years ago, even if they were remastered! Devil

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 09-12-2009 4:09 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

Tend to agree Calvin, but there was an interest programme on BBC Radio 2 a week or so back about their studio work and George Martin and the engineers who have been involved in the remastering project described their work and the technical methods used to 'improve' the tracks,  Many, apparently suffered from tape drop-out in places and, using technology not available in previous attempts at album remastering, these had now been removed. 'Before and after' bits were played to demonstrate this and I have to confess I couldn't near the difference! But perhaps on the radio this isn't surprising.

Listening to what had apparently been done to the old recordings (not just tape drop-out) certainly whetted my appetite, so I'd be interested from anyone who has bought one (or all!) of them.

Finally, love Abbey Road, particularly the medley on ('side 2'?) which leads into 'The End' of the album.

• 09-12-2009 7:14 AM In reply to

• beobeo
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 953
    • Founder

Really looking forward to hear comments from people who have heard the remastered versions (on high end B&O..) and to hear them myself to make the decision on purchase!

Those of you having the original vinyls have a real treasure, no need to go for this honestly.

Gustavo

• 09-12-2009 8:05 AM In reply to

We have a set of the mono and the stereo CD's here - and we are also having an open day, with the Bealtes Rockstar game set up in store, playing via Bvis 9 - with the drums, guitars etc....

We have had the remasters playing via Beolab 9's - anyone nearby, feel free to pop in and have a listen. 

They sound very good here, but I will take them home and compare to to vinyl via my Beogram with an MMC2 - I've got original issue White Album & revolver and decent pressings of Sgt Pepper and Abbey Rd, so will be interesting to compare.

DJ

Bang & Olufsen of King Street - Manchester,UK. SKYPE - beokingstreet

• 09-13-2009 1:29 PM In reply to

kids these days don't even know who the beatles are , do they ?

popgear is grate™

• 09-13-2009 4:08 PM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

Flappo The Grate:

My son in law had never heard of the Battle of Britain. So your point therefore is?

• 09-13-2009 6:22 PM In reply to

We can argue until the cows come how if the Beatles were the greatest "rock and roll" group of all time (by whatever criteria is used).  But their influence on culture, music, and defining a genre are undeniable (regardless of whether you or I like their music in particular).  The fact that many of this younger generation has never heard of them clearly is a poor reflection of this instant satisfaction, notification, data swamp we live in - information goes in one ear and out the other with little higher cortical processing.  It is a very sad state of affairs and a very poor reflection of the direction of society and appreciation of history.

Right now listening to Rubber Soul - one of my favorites.  Was listening to Pepper's the other day in my car (Bose system) and the music touched me in a way that was mystical, if not haunting - the warmth and depth, the purity, the energy - made me remember was it is like to feel music that makes one's spine tingle. 

All of this is lost on a generation that lives for distortion and crap

-michael

• 09-14-2009 5:23 AM In reply to

• Kokomo
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-21-2007
    • Spain
    • Posts 618
    • Bronze Member

I agree mfirst, we can argue about the music, it's all down to personal taste in the end. You can never succeed in persuading someone that a song or artist is 'great' if they themselves don't get it. Just like trying to convince someone that a joke is funny if they don't see the humour.

I am of a certain age that I was young teenager when The Beatles burst upon the scene and if you weren't there to experience this then I will  never be able to describe the impact they made on my generation. Nothing like them or their music had ever been heard before and this hit the whole world, both politically, musically of course and culturally, like no act had done before or since.

Listening to their music now and seeing them as they were, is all looking back with the knowledge of everything that happened both then and afterwards in 'pop music' terms and they just become part of this history. You've probably heard "She loves You" or later, 'Sgt Pepper' perhaps hundreds of times over the years, but just try to imagine for a moment if you'd never heard pop music like this ever before or seen a group like this before and suddenly you turned on the radio or TV and there they were! 

But, just like my 'joke' analogy earlier, if you don't get it then that's all there is to be said.

• 09-14-2009 5:48 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

Flappo The Grate:

............to the extent that you have to describe them as "...........sounding like Oasis, only better"!Laughing

How galling is that?Sad

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 09-15-2009 2:58 AM In reply to

Beatles who? More of an ABBA man myself!!!

I'm sure that will start a barrage!

David Coyne

BV8-40, BC6-26, BC2, Beolab 9's, Beogram 7000, Beogram 9500, Beoport, Beotalk 1200, Beocom 6000, Beolit 1000, 800, 700, 600, 400

• 09-15-2009 3:07 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

david coyne:

David Coyne

ICBM's (Inter-Continental Beatles Missiles) have been launched - impact time 20 mins and counting!

• 09-15-2009 4:00 AM In reply to

Puncher:

david coyne:

David Coyne

ICBM's (Inter-Continental Beatles Missiles) have been launched - impact time 20 mins and counting!

LaughingLaughingLaughing

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 09-15-2009 5:18 AM In reply to

Intercontinental Annifrid Lyngstad Missiles back at ya!

BV8-40, BC6-26, BC2, Beolab 9's, Beogram 7000, Beogram 9500, Beoport, Beotalk 1200, Beocom 6000, Beolit 1000, 800, 700, 600, 400

• 09-16-2009 1:36 PM In reply to

@mfirst

"All of this is lost on a generation that lives for distortion and crap"

Thats a bit harsh - I took my kids to Glastonbury the year McCartney played ( in fact, they've been each year since 98) and the big field was, as always,  full of every age group - from kids of 5 or so right up through three or maybe four generations.

At the time, mine were 14, 11 and 7 - and they all enjoyed it a lot  - as they did The Who another year.  And there are always hundred of young kids at gigs like that, as well as countless teens and 20+.......

In August this year at Shrewsbury Folk Festival, it was very encouraging to see literally hundreds of teenagers on site - many enjoying some very trad stuff, as well as the more contemporary sounding ba

There were a lot of up and coming young bands on site, in their late teens upwards, who surely do far more than "live for distortion and crap", as they are actually playing the music.

Seeing a full marquee, with all ages there,  watch Show of Hands followed by The Dohl Foundation was a real highlight for me.  And three of the kids with our group saw Slipknot recently, so they aren't geeky - but they are open minded.

• 09-16-2009 1:39 PM In reply to

Hanging on for your recommendation on the new CDs! What do you think of them?

• 09-16-2009 1:55 PM In reply to

• George
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 05-22-2009
    • Greece
    • Posts 44
    • Gold Member

KingStreet:

@mfirst

"- I took my kids to Glastonbury the year McCartney played

I have to say Glastonbury is quite something ! was there when a student at uni, such an atmosphere hard to describe with words....

About these CDs, their price, the court arguments etc  etc  well  if John Lennon saw any of that he would probably be disgusted . simple as that. A shamme to the legacy of The Beatles

Carpe Diem

• 09-16-2009 5:56 PM In reply to

Hi Peter,

They sound fine - I would suggest anyone new to the albums gets Revolver, Rubber Soul, White Album, Sgt Pep, then all the others - in that order.

That said, I would suggest the above, in that order, regardless of the re-issues!!

The remasters are good - rather like cleaning your glasses if you see what I mean.

Hope all is well

Best Regards,

David.

ps - I saw the BV10 & BV7-55 yesterday - both look good, with incredible pictures.   The sound from BV10 is also superb - it will be another  iconic and succesful product, I suspect.

• 09-16-2009 6:08 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

KingStreet:

Hi Peter,

They sound fine - I would suggest anyone new to the albums gets Revolver, Rubber Soul, White Album, Sgt Pep, then all the others - in that order.

That said, I would suggest the above, in that order, regardless of the re-issues!!

The remasters are good - rather like cleaning your glasses if you see what I mean.

Hope all is well

Best Regards,

David.

ps - I saw the BV10 & BV7-55 yesterday - both look good, with incredible pictures.   The sound from BV10 is also superb - it will be another  iconic and succesful product, I suspect.

Not bothered about the BV7-55 - more details on the BV10 as and when you can please!

btw - as a Beatles fan, you may like to partake of the Beatles related Wed© Thred this week!

• 09-16-2009 10:54 PM In reply to

Dear All:

It is known that the Beatles were present for the mono engineering of their music and not so involved in the stereo.  I know the remasters can be had as mono.  Does any know how the mono recordings will sound?  For example in the following B&O set: BL 9 & BS 9000? 

Dario

PS:

I am not sure I will be buying them anytime soon.

When I hear music, I fear no danger. I see no foe... Thoreau
Page 1 of 1 (21 items)