in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-16-2009 3:49 AM by adro. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-11-2009 3:24 AM

Beo Sound 5 makes a loud pop when it comes out of stand bye.....

I have a beo sound 5 connected to a naim amp. When i turn the bs5 on it makes a loud pop throught the speakers. Any ideas how i can stop this?

thanks

• 09-11-2009 6:26 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Re: Beo Sound 5 makes a loud pop when it comes out of stand bye.....

Welcome to Beoworld.

Which outputs are you using on BS5? Line out - spdif - Powerlink?

Easy solution: Connect Beolab 5.

Stefan

• 09-11-2009 7:15 AM In reply to

Hi

I am using the power link output i belive. I had a cable made up that converts to phono. I know they had to add a resistor in the cable so the bs5 thought it was a powered speaker. As before i could not get any sound from the powerlink output.

Beo lab 5 good idea but it means i would have to sell all these bowers and wilkins speakers i purchased.

Thanks

Charles

• 09-11-2009 7:48 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

Yes, I thought you were using Powerlink, and that`s causing the plop, what won`t happen if you connect Beolabs to Powerlink, because they will have a little delay in startin up the amplifiers. The resistor simulates an active Beolab, I think. Try the line-out or spdif if your amp can handle digital input. I`m not quite sure, but I think you have to configure your BS5 to audiomaster, option 1 and speakers Beolab 5 when using digital out.

Concerning Beolab 5 I was just joking. It`s not an easy solution really, because they are heavy, expensive and too big - for many livingrooms. But they are fantastic.

Stefan

• 09-11-2009 7:59 AM In reply to

I wanted to use the powerlink so i get volume control on the beo sound 5. My amp is a naim amp and is analogue only so no go on optical. I spoke to a dealer the other day and they suggested using a active kit inline. What are your thoughts on that?

• 09-11-2009 9:06 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

If you mean a Beolink active 1611 with "active kit" you will have the same problem, because your problem is not a BS5 problem, it`s a Powerlink problem, and BL active also uses Powerlink. What you would need is a little device that opens the audio outputs of BS5s Powerlink sockets after a delay, triggered by PL PIN 4 (5 V). I`m not a technician, so I couldn`t do that, but I think Ulf is the man. www. ulf-kiener.de

He is a Beoworld member too, mainly active in the german forum.

BTW: Is your Naim amp a power amp or is a preamp included. I`m asking, because PL outs do not send fixed line level signal, so if you crank up your BS5, it may be too much for the Naim`s input...(?)

Stefan

• 09-11-2009 10:42 AM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

Actually, the active *might* work.  I have a PL to RCA cable from HeavenlySounds (no resister that I'm aware of) that I use to connect an BL active to an old non-B&O amp to drive some outdoor speakers (poor man's beolink passive).  I have not noticed a loud pop.

Stan

• 09-11-2009 11:11 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

You are right. That`s what I was wondering about. I had that PL problem when an MCL2P amp was connected directly to activate passive speakers and not for link room use. But in one of my link rooms I have a BL active with PL outputs connected to a BS 7000 aux inputs, that I`m using as a linksystem, and it works well. So that`s just the same setup as yours.

Stefan

• 09-11-2009 12:13 PM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

I just remembered that I have my BS1 connected in the same way (BL Active -> PL to RCA cable -> BS1 Aux In) right next to me in my office.  I just double checked and there is definitely no pop (I even turned the BS1 way up).

Stan

• 09-11-2009 12:58 PM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

Hi,

why do you handle with converters? What about the line out jacket next to the Powerlink sockets?

http://img12.imageshack.us/i/beomaster5connectivitybj2.jpg/#q=beomaster%205

I think the easiest solution is a 3,5mm jack plug to RCA adapter cable (which you can buy for every MP3-Player, Discman, Walkman etc.) and connect this to the line in of the Naim. Ready.

Or is this jacket unused on the Beomaster 5? If there's coming a "pop" noise out of the line out jack it would badly proove that the Beomaster 5 is NOT worth the money in terms of (electrical) construction.
    "Pop" noises shouldn't be a problem in the 21th century! :-)

• 09-15-2009 8:08 AM In reply to

Beosound goes in to an input on the pre amp that has unity gain so it acts like a power amp with no volume control.

i have tried using the line out this works but does not let you control the volume from the bs5.

My amp does not have a digital input so thats not an option.

I will try the little device option and let you know how i get on.

Thanks All

• 09-16-2009 3:49 AM In reply to

• adro
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-26-2009
    • Posts 23
    • Gold Member

Hallo.

I use the digital out on my BS5 to digital inn on my receiver. The volume level from the BS 5 is fixed, so volume level must be adjusted on the recever. I would also like to use the volume control on the BS5 so  I hope someone finds a good solution.

Regards

Atle

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)