in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-07-2009 8:31 PM by Dragos. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-07-2009 9:02 AM

• Dragos
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-29-2008
    • Leeds
    • Posts 50
    • Bronze Member

MCL Link system, BM5500

Hi, everyone

I've finally started my link project. Yey! (though I still need an additional X-tra passive speaker kit, but that's another matter...) Anyway, the guy who sold me an X-tra speaker kit a while back also (very, very kindly) sent me loads of other cables, including a bit of MCL cable with 2 3-pin DIN plugs. I tested the 2 X-tra speaker kits with that cable and they sounded great!

Yesterday I went under the house, laid some cable, did my own soldering job (very poor, I must confess), cut the MCL cable in 2 and added one of the two MCL2A boxes in the middle. The problem I'm having now is this (and I've done my best until about 3 last night to make things better...):

• after connecting the box to both cables, sound quality was ok, but the main system would switch off if I went above 12 sound volume
    • after fiddling slightly with DIN plugs and disconnecting the second part of the cable and just leaving the first one, sound was ok regardless of volume
    • after connecting the second cable again, sound in one of the speakers is horrible and the system switches off as before
    • after fiddling with the DIN plugs again and trying to improve my craftsmanship, the system now switches off when they are in, but works fine when just my front room speakers are connected (this is definitely going pear-shaped, as the system used to tolerate the soldered plugs, but now seems to cry for help at first sight...)

I am using the new box (I have both a new and a second-hand kit) for this first link room.

Does this sound like something connected to my poor soldering? In a daisy-chained system, do the coloured cables need to be soldered in pairs before connecting them to the box? Is there something else I'm doing horribly wrong?

Many thanks for your help,
    Dragos

Filed under: ,
  • 09-07-2009 10:21 AM In reply to

Re: MCL Link system, BM5500

It sounds like it might be the adjusment screw in the relay boxes. You can adjust the speaker level acording to the speakers you want to use with the relay box. You can set the ohm correctly and it will cut out if the level of volume is to much.

The above is a relaybox with the 2047 Xtra speaker kit. Notice the black button to the right. That's the one I mean.

As for soldering I don't think that you have to solder anything at all! Its very simple to do. Put the right coloured wire down the white plug as seen in the picture and tighten the screw for each so it will stay in place.

I have yet to link other boxes but its the same thing with the MCL cable. The right colour wire goes with the other and tighten the screw. Then the other end goes to the second relay box and so forth. The tranciver goes in the first white plug and the MCL cable to the second.

I might go with a distribtion box in my setup but I dont think that I have do soldering with one.

As for now I have 1 Xtra kit up and it works great.

http://peecee.dk/uploads/012008/MCL._Handbog.pdf

• 09-07-2009 11:22 AM In reply to

• Dragos
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-29-2008
    • Leeds
    • Posts 50
    • Bronze Member

Hi, Thanks a lot for this.

This is the same kit I have, yey! :) I think the connection to this box went quite well. It's the other end of the cable that's proving a soldering nightmare for me. The one that must get attached to the 3-pin DIN plugs and go in the back of the BM5500.

I'll go now and check the impedance setting, too.

Cheers again,

Dragos :)

• 09-07-2009 8:31 PM In reply to

• Dragos
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-29-2008
    • Leeds
    • Posts 50
    • Bronze Member

Yey, it was the soldering! One of my mates who's a master solderer, de-oxidiser, etc. sorted the DIN plugs and now, touch wood, all's well. Just need to keep hunting for an X-tra speaker set. ;)

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)