in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 10-20-2010 11:57 PM by DoubleU. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-07-2009 8:58 AM

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

Beosound 3 Competitor: Same form factor but much more features: Teac WAP-R8900

Looks very familar, doesn't it? ;-)

Teac WAP-R8900

http://dspd.teac.de/index.php?id=4419&L=1

• 09-07-2009 9:03 AM In reply to

Re: Beosound 3 Competitor: Same form factor but much more features: Teac WAP-R8900

Foolish & inelegant. 

Why would you develop an entire interface for a device that small when it will inevitably be inferior to iPod you could dock to it. Totally pointless addition of complication where features detract rather than add. This sort of thing dazzles the novice consumer, but no one who truly cared about quality and usability would bother. 

The BeoSound 3 needs only an Aux input to give it a whole new identity. I hope they ditch the ridiculous SD slot and put a jack there.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 09-07-2009 9:10 AM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

Re: Beosound 3 Competitor: Same form factor but much more features: Teac WAP-R8900

I didn't say that it is elegant ;-)

But I agree 100% that the Beosound 3 needed the Aux input, that is the biggest missing feature. Perhaps it would be possible to modify it internal for an Aux input?

But I would bet that the TEAC version will sound bigger than the Beosound 3.

If you try out all those "ipod Boom Boxes" from JBL, Bose etc. it is fascinating what a sound they can produce. It's no "Hifi" but it has enough pressure to have fun :)

• 09-07-2009 9:15 AM In reply to

I have a great deal of hope that the BeoSound 3 gets an MKII version that meets all of our demands. Very rarely are criticisms of unanimous and so reasonable as the replacement of the SD card slot with an AUX input jack. The A.MEM button would simply access the connected device!  

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 09-07-2009 9:18 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

TripEnglish:

The BeoSound 3 needs only an Aux input to give it a whole new identity. I hope they ditch the ridiculous SD slot and put a jack there.

And basic Beo4 support. I use the BS3 in the office and often get caught out. It's not always within touching distance, the phone rings and the radio is still playing. Basic volume control via the Beo4 would be handy.

I'd prefer the BS3 to be a bit smaller, vertically. It's a bit too tall and clumsy to be a bedside alarm clock.

• 09-07-2009 9:29 AM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

TripEnglish:

I have a great deal of hope that the BeoSound 3 gets an MKII version that meets all of our demands. Very rarely are criticisms of unanimous and so reasonable as the replacement of the SD card slot with an AUX input jack. The A.MEM button would simply access the connected device!  

They should  get rid of the headphone jack and replace it with an Aux input!

• 09-07-2009 2:42 PM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

TripEnglish:

Foolish & inelegant. 

Why would you develop an entire interface for a device that small when it will inevitably be inferior to iPod you could dock to it. Totally pointless addition of complication where features detract rather than add. This sort of thing dazzles the novice consumer, but no one who truly cared about quality and usability would bother. 

It may indeed be inelegant but why is it foolish? It can wirelessly stream (all formats) from your server - why is that a foolish thing to do and why wouldn't you want to know who it is playing? It's part of a whole range of wireless media (audio & video) devices, that can do stuff beyond even the mighty BS5's capabilities!

I have no axe to grind, but I don't think we should be so dismissive of something that technically knocks B&O's closest offering into a cocked hat.

(although it is ugly)!

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 09-07-2009 3:08 PM In reply to

I love the simplicity of the Beosound 3 - it does its job perfectly

• 09-07-2009 4:24 PM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

BeoSound3 is the only B&O product I have bought and would never buy again. I think it is foolish not to play aac or m4a files nowadays.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 10-20-2010 10:10 PM In reply to

Any news on a MKII version of BeoSound 3? I'm loving the form factor more and more each day, but can't/won't stomach the omission of an AUX IN. There's actually a workaround. Attach a USB FM modulator to the computer - that way'll it'll stream audio to the BeoSound 3 via radio waves like some people do in their cars. But it's clumsy, poor quality, and won't work with iPods or the like.

Leo

BV 10-40, BV 8-32, BL 9, BL 4, CX100, BS Ouverture, BS 2000, BG 4500, Passive, LC 1, A 9

• 10-20-2010 11:57 PM In reply to

Nice features. Not foolish at all.. Just install Twonky on my Mac Mini which is on 24/7 anyway and we're good to go.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)