in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-15-2009 3:58 AM by Stephan. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (21 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-06-2009 6:41 PM

• expoman
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • United States
    • Posts 222
    • Bronze Member

Samsung LED TV with Tablet remote. Is this what we wanted from B&O instead of the Beo5?

Samsung's LED TV Couple packs a 7-inch tablet remote for streaming TV and so much more

Full article :http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/06/samsungs-led-tv-couple-packs-a-7-inch-tablet-remote-for-streami/

• 09-14-2009 10:08 PM In reply to

• expoman
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • United States
    • Posts 222
    • Bronze Member

Re: Samsung LED TV with Tablet remote. Is this what we wanted from B&O instead of the Beo5?

I posted this last week but it was just approved today because of the photo.  Whats everyone think?

• 09-15-2009 2:23 AM In reply to

Re: Samsung LED TV with Tablet remote. Is this what we wanted from B&O instead of the Beo5?

Looks promising...

If B&O watches this forum, they now know what to do....It will be available in 2016, but not wireless... :-)

BV7-40 MK IV, BL5´s, BL3´s, BL 3500, BL7-4, BS3000, BC 6-23, BV 1, BS3.

• 09-15-2009 3:17 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

And the "tablet" can display streaming tv and Blu ray content, wirelessly - I remember folk posting here that the BS5 was tethered because it wasn't feasible to transfer the album cover info wirelessly!

I'm sure there'll be a queue of people along shortly to tell us "yes, but look at the horrible plastic case".

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 09-15-2009 3:53 AM In reply to

earlier today I came across this http://www.mobileairmouse.com/

(looks like there is a Windows capability to work with BeoPlayer on Windows)

maybe a custom app from B&O would be a better option ?

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 09-15-2009 3:58 AM In reply to

Damn sexy if you ask me ...

BUT!

I still wait for that freaking Apple tablet and a proper Apple TV and we got the same.... made from aluminium :-p

Best regards

Stephan

• 09-15-2009 4:04 AM In reply to

Not bad at all. Only disadvantage of a tablet like this is that you need both hands to operate it. 

Beoworld's twenty-eighth ninth prize winner and fifty-first second prize winner. Best £30 I've ever spent!

• 09-15-2009 4:32 AM In reply to

Puncher:

I'm sure there'll be a queue of people along shortly to tell us "yes, but look at the horrible plastic case".

It looks pretty good - or, at least, doesn't jump into your face - but I'm sure it feels awful Stick out tongue

*fondles the nice, shiny black plastic around his Samsung monitor*

-mika

• 09-15-2009 4:48 AM In reply to

• mbee
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 1,133
    • Bronze Member

I played with it thursday : needs a speed boost, lacks of a cool interface, but very desirable. That's a prototype of everything we're asking, and it proves that it's totally possible with todays technology (it's based on DNLA). We already have this kind of functionality for music with a network of Airport Express and an iPod Touch/iPhone for the remote, but not for videos...

Note that the system is in a black box (a multimedia server), not in the LED TV.

• 09-15-2009 5:07 AM In reply to

• stefan
    • Top 50 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • 200 miles from Struer
    • Posts 1,733
    • Founder

This one in a kind of Beolink 7000 housing with automatic "stand up" function, so you are able to control it with one hand and watch TV/Video in the kitchen. With programmable remote functionality for all video- and audio sources incl. BS5 navigation and with typical Beo user interface......great!

I would buy it.

Stefan

• 09-15-2009 5:07 AM In reply to

Actually this isn't too far from the experimental DVB-H receiving mobile phones that had a trial run in Finland by Nokia four years ago, just a different transmitting medium (and a one-to-one delivery concept instead of broadcasting). This probably could've been done by their internet tablets some years ago. The problem with the company is that they don't listen to anyone, and if they can't come up with the concept by themselves, it won't happen...

-mika

• 09-15-2009 8:07 AM In reply to

I don't want this as my remote. Remember that the Beo4 is so popular because you can sit there and idly surf channels, change volume, etc. This factored heavily into the decision to make the Beo5 a "hybrid" design with a familiar hard-key base.

I don't want to reach over, use both hands, wait a second for the device to wake up, and then press my button. This is an issue with everything from iPod remotes (which are some of the worst offenders due to the auto-shutoff) to Crestron.

There's a place for tablets, but it's for interacting with residential systems like climate, lights, window treatments, etc. Not for channel surfing. This tablet is a gimmick and will lay unused on the coffee table while the other cheap plastic remotes get their terrible buttons worn out. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 09-15-2009 11:55 AM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2007
    • Atlanta, USA
    • Posts 318
    • Founder

I agree with Trip on this.  I just got my Beo5 back from repair ( we'll leave that for another thread).  The first thing I was looking to do after re-contemplating it's role during it's absence was simplify the programming.  That's the reason it's so hard to give up our beloved Beo4.  Its simple.  

I long for the simplicity of having just a few sources available quickly...  Enter a string of complicated commands if you wish but the remote is immediately ready again for a basic command like switching to CD without having to manually exit the menus.  The Beo5 is not quite there but is getting better.

-Michael

• 09-15-2009 12:26 PM In reply to

TripEnglish:
    the Beo4 is so popular because you can sit there and idly surf channels, change volume, etc.

There's a place for tablets, but it's for interacting with residential systems like climate, lights, window treatments, etc. Not for channel surfing.

Not agree at all here sir.

This Samsung tablet is NOT for channel tv surfing... even if it CAN achieve this; sorry if you see this device in a so simple way.

I think this tablet is a multi-media SEARCH/SELECT device, so EXACTLY the BeoSound 5 (tablet) functionality, and quite different from a tv-channel-surfer and change-volume remote (Beo 4).

And yes, of course I love my Beo 4 and my Beo 5... BOTH !!! Wink

Regards.

• 09-15-2009 3:33 PM In reply to

• mbee
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 1,133
    • Bronze Member

Exactly BeoBoyLit, we can't compare this Samsung with a Beo4/Beo5, as it is more a wireless+multimedia Beosound 5.

It was presented to me with the following scenario :
    you are watching the football match on your living room 65" TV. Your wife wants to watch her soap opera... Erm You use the time shifting functionnality to visually pause the match on the TV set and start recording it on the media center. Now the match appears as an icon on the wireless screen. You then have two choice (and you have some time to decide as the match is currently recorded):
    -watching the match on the wireless screen
    -watching it on your bedroom TV (again, wirelessly, and in HD). Simple : drag the movie icon to the icon of the bedroom TV, and it starts immediately.

The idea is the same for music : drag and drop your sources to the room you want to listen to it.
    Very interesting, it just needs a more glamorous interface and a speed boost so that everything will be perfect (and for some, a B&O logo on it!)
    Concerning the auto-off function of the ipod as a remote, there is no problem with such a device : it is not a standby mode, but just a screen shutdown (and low power mode), similar to the new Sonos remote : instant on. We can imagine a B&O badged one which works like a Beo5 : the screen would turn on when you touch it.

I'm not a Samsung fan (just look at how much lower a Samsung LED TV picture quality is compared to a BV8, and you will understand that LED is currently really good for marketing, but not already mature enough to beat good CCFL...) , but I admit that's the way I see the future of multiroom, with a tablet AND a "normal" remote.

• 09-15-2009 5:24 PM In reply to

Mbee, I'm sure the execution is easier than the explanation, and if that's the case then my hat's off to them. I interpreted this to be a big touch screen remote, which I hate. I'm sure it could still use a bit of polish, but the idea does sound to be of value. Hopefully we'll hand carve a competitive solution in the coming decades.

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 09-15-2009 9:15 PM In reply to

<< Hopefully we'll hand carve a competitive solution in the coming decades >>

*ouch*

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 09-16-2009 3:27 AM In reply to

• Puncher
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 03-27-2007
    • Nr. Durham, NE England.
    • Posts 9,588
    • Founder

TripEnglish:

Mbee, I'm sure the execution is easier than the explanation, and if that's the case then my hat's off to them. .................

..............and that's really the point, it's not about it being a touchscreen or what it looks like, it's what it does and what it enables. Functionally it's pretty much what the BS5 could should have been.

Nevermind, as you say, I'm sure they come up with the goods 2 years after everyone else has introduced theirsSmile

Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.

• 09-16-2009 3:52 AM In reply to

• mbee
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 1,133
    • Bronze Member

TripEnglish:

Mbee, I'm sure the execution is easier than the explanation, and if that's the case then my hat's off to them. .................

Yes, and the screenshot on the top of this topic is actually the worst thing you can do with this screen (Samsung didn't even show me there was a way to have this kind of universal remote functionality)

Puncher:
    Nevermind, as you say, I'm sure they come up with the goods 2 years after everyone else has introduced theirs

Samsung said that they do not think to release this system on the market before 2 years... So either it's for cost reasons, and B&O can release it before them (as a Samsung home cinema is targeted at 2000€, TV+mediacenter+speakers...), or it's for technical reason, and B&O will follow 2 years (or more) later! Hmm

Meanwhile, the Apple tablet is rumored to be launched in februray 2010... If it acts like a cool remote for Airport Express & Apple TV, Samsung & B&O will soon be outdated...

• 09-16-2009 6:46 PM In reply to

• expoman
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • United States
    • Posts 222
    • Bronze Member

mbee:

Meanwhile, the Apple tablet is rumored to be launched in februray 2010... If it acts like a cool remote for Airport Express & Apple TV, Samsung & B&O will soon be outdated...

Apple Tablet with 9.6-inch Touchscreen, HSDPA in February?

I know, another tablet rumor right? But stay with me on this one. Taiwan Economic News' "industry sources" say it's real, and will have a 9.6-inch touchscreen, HSPDA, a P.A SEMI processor, "long lasting battery" and cost $800 to $1000... (From Gizmodo 9/15/09)

Now if this is able to control and display Apple TV, play music like an iPod, download books like an e-reader,  browse web sites and be a game console, it could be a very interesting new gadget?   

• 09-16-2009 8:52 PM In reply to

• Hungedu
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 08-08-2009
    • Ambergris Caye, Belize
    • Posts 128
    • Bronze Member

I wish. I think this may be too technically advanced to ever be implemented in a B&O product (in he near future), unfortunately.

BeoVision 7-55 3D, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound 8, BeoLab 7-6, BeoLab Penta III, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 6000, BeoLab 2, LC-1, BeoTime (analog clock), Form 1 headphones, Beo 4 remote.

Page 1 of 1 (21 items)