in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-13-2009 7:49 AM by Doc. 31 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-05-2009 5:25 AM

• Doc
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 585
    • Bronze Member

Sharp LED-LCD better than B&O-plasma ?

What do you think; will the picturequality of a new Sharp LED-LCD (like LC52LE700E) be better than a B&O BV4 ?

• 09-05-2009 5:51 AM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

Re: Sharp LED-LCD better than B&O-plasma ?

It is accepted in higher av circles that the best vision solution is a panasonic commercial panel and a high end processor like a lumagen.

The BV4 is in effect the p[anasonic commercial panel and the bs3 is a processor- not quite high end but its good.

No lcd presently available will match the colour rendition, response time and flim like quality you will get from the B&O package.

There are many individiuals who feel that they prefer lcd to plasma - if you are one of those that cant tell the difference then better not get B&O!

• 09-06-2009 4:17 AM In reply to

• Doc
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 585
    • Bronze Member

355f:

It is accepted in higher av circles that the best vision solution is a panasonic commercial panel and a high end processor like a lumagen.

The BV4 is in effect the p[anasonic commercial panel and the bs3 is a processor- not quite high end but its good.

No lcd presently available will match the colour rendition, response time and flim like quality you will get from the B&O package.

There are many individiuals who feel that they prefer lcd to plasma - if you are one of those that cant tell the difference then better not get B&O!

But why is it, certainly in Holland, that LCD is far more sold than plasma? Eventhough prices of plasma or dropped to almost the same level as LCD?

• 09-06-2009 4:44 AM In reply to

Doc:

But why is it, certainly in Holland, that LCD is far more sold than plasma? Eventhough prices of plasma or dropped to almost the same level as LCD?

Fear of global warming? LCD use much less electricity.

-Andreas

BLab5, BLab5000, BLab8000, BV10, BS9000, BS3, Beo5, Beo4, BLink1000, BLink5000, BLink7000, A2, A8, Form2

• 09-06-2009 4:50 AM In reply to

• Stonk
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Marlow, Bucks, UK
    • Posts 1,688
    • Founder

I think plasma suffers from buying habits due to the order technology has evolved. First CRT, then plasma & now LCD gives the perception that LCD is the latest technology and the one to buy.  This is incorrect and to many including myself, plasma gives a better viewing experience.

If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of payments.

• 09-06-2009 6:07 AM In reply to

• 355f
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-19-2007
    • Posts 655
    • Bronze Member

well LCD outsells plasma everywhere now.

The marketing efforts have gone to LCD which costs 60% less to make than plasma and although for those that appreciate high end its better the vast majority buy on price so its lcd all the way.

• 09-06-2009 6:19 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Stonk:

I think plasma suffers from buying habits due to the order technology has evolved. First CRT, then plasma & now LCD gives the perception that LCD is the latest technology and the one to buy.  This is incorrect and to many including myself, plasma gives a better viewing experience.

I disagree. I think a quality HD image on a top LCD is more realistic than a plasma. The plasma smooths the picture too much.

Also, LCDs tend to be more practical for the home. Some games manufacturers warn about playing games on plasmas as it can lead to ghosting. All these little things stack up and put off families from buying plasmas.

• 09-06-2009 6:20 AM In reply to

Is the picture Quality of LCD televisions that badSurprise

• 09-06-2009 8:03 AM In reply to

• Michael
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-23-2007
    • Atlanta, USA
    • Posts 318
    • Founder

Big Smile [:D] Re: Sharp LED-LCD better than B&O-plasma ?

I like (and might prefer) B&O LCD for video games and HD Sports and news. But for cinema the BV4 Plasma is still tops. If someone couldn't tell the difference I might say to just get the LCD for practicality. This is all subjective of course, but before this thread gets too out of control let me just state for the record that I'm right!;)

-Michael

• 09-06-2009 8:38 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

Michael:
    I like (and might prefer) B&O LCD for video games and HD Sports and news. But for cinema the BV4 Plasma is still tops. If someone couldn't tell the difference I might say to just get the LCD for practicality. This is all subjective of course, but before this thread gets too out of control let me just state for the record that I'm right!;)

You are probably right in that example - the Dark Knight on LCD can look a little false and cartoony at times, as clearly in some scenes they are standing in front of a blue/green screen and the LCD picks out the edge of the character, whereas on a plasma this is smoothed.

• 09-06-2009 8:49 AM In reply to

• mbee
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 1,133
    • Bronze Member

Considering its price, the plsama is targeted for people which want a true cinema experience and can pay for it. Plasmas luminosity is lower than LCD, which do not allow to place them on a very bright room... So the plasma technoogy is in direct competition, not with the LCD, but with videoprojectors : in order to get the best cinema experience, your screen have to be really big, and that's not a problem with a videoprojector, compared to huge plasma which doesn't look good when switched off and consumes too much power.

So the best solution seems to be LCD for television and videoprojector for movies!

• 09-06-2009 8:52 AM In reply to

I've always favoured plasma over LCD but since buying the 7-40 (Mark III) its been growing on me all the time. HD footage particularly is excellent and I am very happy with it. When I looked at the new 8-40 set in the dealer the other day I was amazed at the quality of the HD picture on that, simply outstanding. I think these sort of debates will be shortlived soon enough anyway as the new technologies emerge as costs come down. Personally I am waiting for laser as I believe this will be the best technology yet and surpass all those before including CRT.

Simon.

• 09-06-2009 9:27 AM In reply to

This is a very interesting question and I'm taking it more as an LCD v. Plasma issue than one brand versus another. My interpretation of PQ is very academic, i.e. is the image displayed naturally and faithfully. Essentially it's the same as loudspeakers. But in my many years of selling AV I haven't seen this reflected in the tastes and preferences of the high-end consumer. No matter how refined in manner, most people judge speakers on their ability to shake a house and TVs on how closely they resemble a graphic novel. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 09-06-2009 11:44 AM In reply to

• ed7
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • uk
    • Posts 297
    • Bronze Member

Doc:

What do you think; will the picturequality of a new Sharp LED-LCD (like LC52LE700E) be better than a B&O BV4 ?

I have not seen the sharp led tv picture,however i have seen samsung led picture was excellent on hd,but sound is poor.

Personally was leaning to wards the plasma for my next purchase till i have seen samsung picture was really impressive on hd,ps i did go and see bv7-4o mkIV not really impressed with picture quality yet, so b&o that is your second purchase loss   from me.

i will be buying led tv soon

http://www.sammyledtv.com/

also see this is cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2FX9rviEhw

• 09-06-2009 11:59 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

ed7:

i will be buying led tv soon

http://www.sammyledtv.com/

Bloody hell, how cool is that? Mega-thin - I though it was an OLED TV at first. How come my BV7-40 is so deep - almost CRT-like - compared to this?

• 09-06-2009 1:14 PM In reply to

• mbee
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 1,133
    • Bronze Member

Samsung LED TVs suffer of a major issue : the automatic on/off switching of the LED backlighting can not be disabled.

This feature offer a very high contrast as some zones of the image can be totally black and some really bright. In shop, it result in a very "commercial" picture, with more contrast than competition. But at home, the side effects appears : you loose all details in the dark pictures of a film, your image is not natural, and where customers always complain is when watching the beginning of a movie with white text on black screen/black screen/white text on black/etc. : the automatic switch of the backlight renders a dark grey background when there is text on screen and a black background without text... That's totally annoying. Look at a bv8 40 : you get almost the same deep blacks, but with details on dark pictures... That proves that when correctly used, a classic backlight can compete with the best (current, maybe not future) LED LCDs...

• 09-06-2009 4:05 PM In reply to

• ed7
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • uk
    • Posts 297
    • Bronze Member

mbee:

Samsung LED TVs suffer of a major issue : the automatic on/off switching of the LED backlighting can not be disabled.

This feature offer a very high contrast as some zones of the image can be totally black and some really bright. In shop, it result in a very "commercial" picture, with more contrast than competition. But at home, the side effects appears : you loose all details in the dark pictures of a film, your image is not natural, and where customers always complain is when watching the beginning of a movie with white text on black screen/black screen/white text on black/etc. : the automatic switch of the backlight renders a dark grey background when there is text on screen and a black background without text... That's totally annoying. Look at a bv8 40 : you get almost the same deep blacks, but with details on dark pictures... That proves that when correctly used, a classic backlight can compete with the best (current, maybe not future) LED LCDs...

This review in favor of the Smiletv? !

http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Samsung-UE46B8000/

• 09-06-2009 4:42 PM In reply to

• mbee
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-18-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 1,133
    • Bronze Member

Did they only see the TV? I could have written this review only by reading tech specs.

The first time I saw this TV, I was amazed by 200Hz, size and contrast (Samsung had invited us to an event where we compared between the old non-LED and new LED TVs).
    I went to this event with my girlfriend who immediately asked me to buy one... So I tested it with MY blu rays, normal DVDs, and the DVB-T broadcast. It was then clear that in "real life", this TV gave poor image (I speak of a demo TV set up by Samsung technicians, maybe a good "tweaker" can get the best of this set), specially on dark scenes. I can say that I'm a bit sold to B&O, but my girlfriend, who initially said that B&O is way overpriced, thought the same as myself : let's buy the BV8!

I only spoke of PQ, because that's an area where Samsung can give good results... Concerning sound, I can only say that my macbook gives better sound than this Samsung TV! So when you compare the price of Samsung compared to a B&O set, add a good amplifier + speakers... You will soon realise that a BV8 is not really expensive for what you get...

There is only one good way to buy a TV : try the set with YOUR prefered sources (DVDs, Blu Rays, DVB-S, DVB-T...), not with the demo discs of the shops. Then make your choice.

• 09-06-2009 4:50 PM In reply to

• ed7
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-06-2007
    • uk
    • Posts 297
    • Bronze Member

mbee:

Did they only see the TV? I could have written this review only by reading tech specs.

The first time I saw this TV, I was amazed by 200Hz, size and contrast (Samsung had invited us to an event where we compared between the old non-LED and new LED TVs).
    I went to this event with my girlfriend who immediately asked me to buy one... So I tested it with MY blu rays, normal DVDs, and the DVB-T broadcast. It was then clear that in "real life", this TV gave poor image (I speak of a demo TV set up by Samsung technicians, maybe a good "tweaker" can get the best of this set), specially on dark scenes. I can say that I'm a bit sold to B&O, but my girlfriend, who initially said that B&O is way overpriced, thought the same as myself : let's buy the BV8!

I only spoke of PQ, because that's an area where Samsung can give good results... Concerning sound, I can only say that my macbook gives better sound than this Samsung TV! So when you compare the price of Samsung compared to a B&O set, add a good amplifier + speakers... You will soon realise that a BV8 is not really expensive for what you get...

There is only one good way to buy a TV : try the set with YOUR prefered sources (DVDs, Blu Rays, DVB-S, DVB-T...), not with the demo discs of the shops. Then make your choice.

Thank you for that Big Smile

• 09-06-2009 5:12 PM In reply to

For what Samsung, wait for what will be introduced at the IFA in Berlin. Most vendors now come with LED backlights which can be swithed of nicely. The thickness of the Samsung indeed does give a stunning view, but picture quality was less than I expected. 

On what hifi they where already quite keen on the new Philips 42PFL9664, which is just introduced, which I think should be in store end of the month or early October. But as mentioned above, always test with your own sources Smile

• 09-07-2009 5:17 AM In reply to

Very good point on tv  speakers its very overlooked samsung make awful sounding tvs 

you always need to take your own dvds etc for a demo

• 09-07-2009 7:46 AM In reply to

Can Plasma do better?

The latest Panasonic Z1series NeoPDP(Plasma) received in a German test magazine the rating excellent in most test area’s. (With a 5000+ euro price tag at introduction.)

No LCD panel has achieved these ratings up till now for picture. So now we have to wait and see ourselves or read the coming tests how the LED LCD performs.

Compared to LCD for me Plasma panels show more natural the colours blue, red and green, far better black and horizontal movement. Plasma panels have a glass screen in front and that is in most positions in the room annoying, because of reflecting the daylight or lights. LCD has in most cases a non reflecting screen. (Sadly most BeoVisions have the same problem for some of us in the described reflecting situation.)

I do not understand why B&O have no Plasma panel for 3500 euro in their collection.

See the photo below the Z1 panel (slim design with alu 2,5 cm)

Regards, Robert

• 09-08-2009 2:00 AM In reply to

• Doc
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 585
    • Bronze Member

I like the Z-series....

But how do I amplify my Beosound 9000 ? Can it only be done by a BS3, or will a lumagen processor (http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php?module=radianceXD_details) do the job as well?

• 09-08-2009 4:31 AM In reply to

I looked at the z series in the panasonic shop 

the stand lets it down but on a wall it looks amazing even better than a bv4 its so modern looking

but the picture was no better than a bv4 or a normal panaconic 50 inch even on bluray 

i ask the salesmen and it can have wireless connection for bluray players, he seem to think it wont be a great seller due to the price and

we all concluded that the standard panasonic at £1500.00 would sell much better.

• 09-08-2009 5:08 AM In reply to

mbee what did you think of the bv8-40' picture quality in comparison to the samsung did you see a major difference and did you bring your own sources to view on the bv8-40 also?

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next >