in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-13-2009 3:56 AM by PhilLondon. 17 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-02-2009 6:20 AM

BM Link - can we make a difference?

To all those with Mac systems and iTunes, you will know how useful the third party software, BM-Link,  written by Anders Odlund is. He has moved to California and therefore is without his B&O system and therefore cannot continue to update the software - in particular with regard to Snow Leopard, which doesn't work with the Beoport properly. Let's see if a little consumer suggestion could help get this product working again. It has been suggested that if we write to B&O requesting they assist Anders, that this might help - here is the contact details for B&O and below is a copy of my email to them. Feel free to either nick or adapt it!

"It has come to my notice that the development of BM-Link, the software allowing the integration of an Apple Mac system into a Masterlink B&O set up via Beoport has been lagging. This would appear to be due to the developer, Anders Odlund, having moved to California. He has no B&O products now as these remain in Sweden but has intimated that he still is interested in keeping the system up to date especially with the recent release of Snow Leopard.
    Following discussions on Beoworld, we were wondering if it would be possible for B&O to either give or lend a system to Anders so that he can continue to update this software, something that can only be of benefit to B&O. A large number of Apple users are drawn to B&O and these are often high earners who are early adopters. Inability of their system to work with the latest software is likely to see a number simply change systems. We think this would be a shame and would request that the company consider our suggestion.
    Best wishes,
    Peter"

• 09-02-2009 6:41 AM In reply to

Re: BM Link - can we make a difference?

Hi All

I've been raising this issue for about five months!

I have received no tangible response from B&O at all..not to mention very few responses from forum members!

B&O in Sydney tell me they are on to it and progressing the issue.. after five months though I dont hold out much hope.

I've almost resigned myself to the fact I've purchased a lemon of a product (beoport).

Happy to write again... but so far ive really just been ignored by B&O

Regards

David Coyne

BV8-40, BC6-26, BC2, Beolab 9's, Beogram 7000, Beogram 9500, Beoport, Beotalk 1200, Beocom 6000, Beolit 1000, 800, 700, 600, 400

• 09-02-2009 7:16 AM In reply to

David,

You're not the only one to feel that B&O are ignoring us, below is a reply just received from them about BeoPort/BM-Link, basically I was asking them why the 2 softwares were so different & when we could get the features of BM-Link on BeoPort (namely the full track-artist-album-radio station tag display on B&O systems) & vice-versa.

Their reply left me speechless..They don't even tell us they're working on improving the softwares, they just say "no thanks": for a company whose motto is to "question the ordinary", I was quite disappointed!

If B&O rely on just one private person to develop such important software, where are we going? They say they are working on a new digital platform, but they once again seem to involve only PC, not MAC; as a new Mac user, I find it weird because the Mac "spirit" is much closer to B&O than the PC world.

QUOTE""

Réponse (Helle Iversen)

31/08/2009 08:31 AM

Dear Mr. Georget.

We are pleased to see that you are the user of Bang & Olufsen products.

The feature you are asking for will not be available. However, we hope you will enjoy your products despite of this.

Kind regards,
    Bang & Olufsen a/s

Helle Iversen

This email and any attachments contain confidential and/or privileged information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. Please notify the sender and delete this message if you are not the intended recipient or if you have received this email by an error. Any copying, disclosure or distribution of this message or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.

Client (CHRISTOPHE GEORGET)

26/08/2009 05:33 PM

Good day, I presently use BeoPort with my PC, and after installing the BM Link on my new Mac, I found out that the Mac version could display the NMUSIC and NRADIO tags & scrolling infos on every other B&O product, like my BV7 display or even BeoLab 3500..why isn't this possible with the PC version?
    And if not, when will it be possible? I think it would be more informative than just displaying "NMUSIC" or "NRADIO" on my BV7..

""UNQUOTE

Reunion Island is greeting you!

• 09-02-2009 7:41 AM In reply to

• scott451
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-22-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 132
    • Founder

hi,

it is possible that b&o will do nothing to help anders and that some day bm-link will stop working altogether. if we do not write to b&o to express our concerns, it is almost certain that this day will come. if enough people do write, then there is a chance that b&o do the minimum to help anders keep bm-link up to date.

so ... write !

if anyone has other ideas, i'm sure we would all like to hear them. here's hoping that this matter will be taken into consideration by our friends at b&o.

scott

• 09-02-2009 8:18 AM In reply to

It would be good it it became an Open source project as well.

• 09-02-2009 9:30 AM In reply to

• RobN
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-15-2007
    • London, UK
    • Posts 57
    • Gold Member

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the suggestion, I FULLY agree and will be sending a version of your text to B&O tonight.

I really am amazed by B&O's reply further down the thread, I don't know how many BeoPort users are linked to Macs rather than PC's but surely we make up a significant enough community to warrant giving Anders a bit of support!

I also fully agree with the comments that B&O and Apple as quality, well designed brands have similar clients and as such B&O should be looking to get closer to Apple not further away. 

Let's hope if we all contact B&O they do something...

PhilLondon suggested making BM-Link open source, this is a very interesting idea and my experience of open source software generally has been very positive and I think it would be ideal for our community. However, it does rely on Anders choosing to release the source code on a GNU GPL basis, which of course is his prerogative given he wrote the software, but the gesture would be a great one!

Best,

Rob

BV7-32, BL8000, BL2, BL6000, Humax, AppleTV3, MX4200, V8000, Humax, BS3200, BL6000, BL4000, BeoPort, MacMini+DACmagic 

• 09-03-2009 6:15 AM In reply to

Done - submitted the request.

I find it difficult to understand who is owning the project.

If Anders still is owning the source code, it is simply of no use to complain to B&O that the product is not developed further. On the positive side, it would be up to Anders to make it available as Open Source or not.

If B&O is owning the code, continously bugging them must have an effect ... someday.

• 09-03-2009 6:52 AM In reply to

Stefan,

Anders is owning the code, there is no doubt.

However, Bang and Olufsen is selling the product as being compatible with Mac, and in fact it is not anymore, until Anders is able to update the code to make it compatible with Snow Leopard and the latest version of iTunes.

In a separate Thread, Anders explained that he moved from Sweden to California, and does not have any Beo equipment to test it on.

What we are asking B&O is to lend him some equipment so he could test and develop the future versions.

P.

• 09-08-2009 6:24 AM In reply to

• scott451
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-22-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 132
    • Founder

hi all,

here is the response i received from beocare.

"
    We are pleased to see that you are the owner of Bang & OIufsen products. We are very much aware of the problems with BM-Link and newer versions of iTunes.

Therefore the developer of BM-link will be contacted in the near future by our software development department in order to find a solution. 
    "

this may or may not fall under the category of falsely promising. in any case, keep the pressure on b&o !

scott 

• 09-08-2009 1:41 PM In reply to

You did better than me! I have not had a response!! Big Smile

• 09-08-2009 2:59 PM In reply to

• RobN
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-15-2007
    • London, UK
    • Posts 57
    • Gold Member

Hi All,

I've had a response, but it doesn't fill me with confidence...

Dear Mr Noble,

We are pleased to see that you are the owner of Bang & Olufsen products. We are aware of the situation with the Mac compatible software. We are looking into this at the moment, but have not yet reached a conclusion. We expect to know more in a month time.

We regret the inconvenience this is causing you.

Kind regards
    Bang & Olufsen a/s

Mette Krabbe Helmholt
    BeoCare

Not too sure how this syncs with the reply above?

Best,

Rob

BV7-32, BL8000, BL2, BL6000, Humax, AppleTV3, MX4200, V8000, Humax, BS3200, BL6000, BL4000, BeoPort, MacMini+DACmagic 

• 09-08-2009 4:50 PM In reply to

• scott451
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 05-22-2007
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 132
    • Founder

hello again,

it's from the same guy !  at least there's that ...

scott

• 09-08-2009 7:54 PM In reply to

see the comments regarding B & O starting to fall behind?

case in point -

clear lack of vision

if you disagree, prove otherwise - but the entire world (even Microsoft) is trying to make their products work with Apple/itunes/etc - this would be a freebee for B&O.... and it would not even cost them that much..... such a shame

-michael

• 09-12-2009 4:27 AM In reply to

Hi all,

I also sent them a message, hopefully Anders will get any hardware from b&o to test bmlink.

Best regards

• 09-12-2009 7:03 AM In reply to

I got a reply!

Thank you for your request. Below is a summary of your request and our response.

Subject
    It has come to my notice that the development of BM-Link, the software allowi...

Discussion Thread
     Response (Helle Iversen)    11/09/2009 08.51 AM
    Dear Peter.

We understand your wish and the need in general.

Your wish has been reported to the relevant persons into our system, but we can not say anything about when.

Kind regards,
    Bang & Olufsen a/s

Helle Iversen

This email and any attachments contain confidential and/or privileged information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. Please notify the sender and delete this message if you are not the intended recipient or if you have received this email by an error. Any copying, disclosure or distribution of this message or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.
     Customer (Peter .)    02/09/2009 11.34 AM
    It has come to my notice that the development of BM-Link, the software allowing the integration of an Apple Mac system into a Masterlink B&O set up via Beoport has been lagging. This would appear to be due to the developer, Anders Odlund, having moved to California. He has no B&O products now as these remain in Sweden but has intimated that he still is interested in keeping the system up to date especially with the recent release of Snow Leopard.
    Following discussions on Beoworld, we were wondering if it would be possible for B&O to either give or lend a system to Anders so that he can continue to update this software, something that can only be of benefit to B&O. A large number of Apple users are drawn to B&O and these are often high earners who are early adopters. Inability of their system to work with the latest software is likely to see a number simply change systems. We think this would be a shame and would request that the company consider our suggestion.
    Best wishes,
    Peter
     Auto-response    02/09/2009 11.34 AM
    Title: Which products and software are available for Mac and Windows?
    Link: http://bogo.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bogo.cfg/php/enduser/popup_adp.php?p_faqid=866&p_created=1209972266

Title: Why am I experiencing problems with BeoPort when I activate the PC from standby?
    Link: http://bogo.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bogo.cfg/php/enduser/popup_adp.php?p_faqid=867&p_created=1209972970

Title: Is BeoSound 2 compatible with Windows Vista?
    Link: http://bogo.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bogo.cfg/php/enduser/popup_adp.php?p_faqid=894&p_created=1211527550

Title: Is the BeoPlayer and BeoPort software Windows Vista compatible?
    Link: http://bogo.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bogo.cfg/php/enduser/popup_adp.php?p_faqid=795&p_created=1208955087

Title: Which operating systems are supported by BeoPlayer/BeoPort?
    Link: http://bogo.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bogo.cfg/php/enduser/popup_adp.php?p_faqid=1232&p_created=1228127324

• 09-12-2009 8:59 PM In reply to

What exactly does he need in order to move on the update?

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 09-13-2009 3:53 AM In reply to

He is in California but all his B&O stuff is in Sweden. He needs the loan (or gift!) of a Beoport and some B&O equipment - He can no doubt be more specific! I believe he is there working on something else unconnected to B&O.

• 09-13-2009 3:56 AM In reply to

Peter :
    I believe he is there working on something else unconnected to B&O

But I believe he is there working for another brand that we like....

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)