in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-08-2007 6:31 AM by DiaBandO. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-07-2007 3:05 PM

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Southern CA
    • Posts 137
    • Bronze Member

Look what I found on the media center...

Thought it was interesting... its filed under ICE power.

-Alex
  • 06-07-2007 3:11 PM In reply to

• Jandyt
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-01-2007
    • Clitheroe, Lancashire, UK
    • Posts 13,004
    • Founder

Re: Look what I found on the media center...

Wow, nice find!
    They might have ICE power but looks like a horn instead of an Acoustic lens on top.

Andy T.

Poor me, never win owt!

• 06-07-2007 3:22 PM In reply to

• Toubro
    • Top 200 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Copenhagen, Denmark
    • Posts 263
    • Founder

Couldn't it be a picture from when they developed the BL1's??

Where the "normal" speakers are references for their listening panel??

• 06-07-2007 3:40 PM In reply to

• Beowulf
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Derbyshire
    • Posts 143
    • Bronze Member

They are Bowers & Wilkens speakers next to th eBL1's

Dave 

Beowulf

• 06-07-2007 3:46 PM In reply to

• Alex
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Southern CA
    • Posts 137
    • Bronze Member

I know that, I just thought it was funny that they are on the Media center. 
    -Alex
  • 06-08-2007 4:47 AM In reply to

Have to admit that I listened to the B&W speakers in the picture. They sounded better thans the BL1! More bass and a very warm sound. But hey, it is not B&O... OK, a little B&O (Ice). I won't buy them becuase the design is not appealing to me, I  am saving fot the BL 9.
    Just because it's mellow it doesn't mean it's less evil....
  • 06-08-2007 5:03 AM In reply to

DiaBandO:
    Have to admit that I listened to the B&W speakers in the picture. They sounded better thans the BL1! More bass and a very warm sound. But hey, it is not B&O... OK, a little B&O (Ice). I won't buy them becuase the design is not appealing to me, I  am saving fot the BL 9.

They sure are ugly! However the B&W speakers I've heard have always reproduced sound at a very high quality. I would also save for a pair of BL9s.

DiaBandO, that isn't you selling the £400 licence plate on eBay is it? Laughing

• 06-08-2007 5:20 AM In reply to

They are either B&W 800’s or 801’s.

Putting my money on them being 800’s – GBP10k loudspeaker series, second in the range only to the GBP35k Nautilus. These babies are comparable and perhaps the most common nearest competition to the BL5. They cost approximately the same without the amplification or “cables” and definitely in a different league to the BL1.

The 800’s are notorious amp-killers sucking current like no-ones business. I guess if an ICE module can run these, they will run anything. Hence their use in the ICE Power section rather than an indication of comparison to the BL1’s

In the BL5’s listening panel tests, I would like to bet they compared the BL5’s to the B&W 800’s as a gauge to the peers the BL5 would be competing against. However, according to the literature, “nothing has obtained a higher score than the BL5’s”.

They were probably correct.

10%

• 06-08-2007 5:20 AM In reply to

They are either B&W 800’s or 801’s.

Putting my money on them being 800’s – GBP10k loudspeaker series, second in the range only to the GBP35k Nautilus. These babies are comparable and perhaps the most common nearest competition to the BL5. They cost approximately the same without the amplification or “cables” and definitely in a different league to the BL1.

The 800’s are notorious amp-killers sucking current like no-ones business. I guess if an ICE module can run these, they will run anything. Hence their use in the ICE Power section rather than an indication of comparison to the BL1’s

In the BL5’s listening panel tests, I would like to bet they compared the BL5’s to the B&W 800’s as a gauge to the peers the BL5 would be competing against. However, according to the literature, “nothing has obtained a higher score than the BL5’s”.

They were probably correct.

10%

• 06-08-2007 6:31 AM In reply to

Henry:

DiaBandO:

They sure are ugly! However the B&W speakers I've heard have always reproduced sound at a very high quality. I would also save for a pair of BL9s.

DiaBandO, that isn't you selling the £400 licence plate on eBay is it? Laughing

Nope, I would not dare...Stick out tongue

Just because it's mellow it doesn't mean it's less evil....
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)