in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-03-2009 3:16 PM by vikinger. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-01-2009 3:25 AM

• Bundy
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 05-25-2008
    • Bolderslev, Denmark
    • Posts 58
    • Gold Member

Best beovox made??

Hi

Just out of interest: which beovox sounds best?

Mogens

• 09-01-2009 4:32 AM In reply to

Re: Best beovox made??

No really good answer to this one as B&O seem to design speakers to match systems. The Beovox 1200 for instance sounds pretty dire matched to a modern system but when used with a Beomaster 1200, it really sings.

As far as good neutral speakers are concerned, the S120/MC120.2 and the S45-2are both extremely good. The MS150 is clearly an excellent speaker (and can easily be converted to a wood shed if needed!) and I like M100s.

• 09-01-2009 5:53 AM In reply to

As Peter says, it depends to a large extent on what amp you use them with (some are better than others!). I really like my MC120.2s that I use with a BM 6000 Quad, and am in love with my Beovox Pentas that I use with a BM 8000. I even have a Cona hooked up to the the Speaker 2 outlet on my 8000 for a bass boost when I feel like rattling my windows!

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 09-01-2009 6:37 AM In reply to

• Bundy
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 05-25-2008
    • Bolderslev, Denmark
    • Posts 58
    • Gold Member

I bought  a beolab 8000 system, and with that came 2 MS150 and 2 M150 speakers. They sound great but are hard to place, are the beovox penta better? They are easyer to place.

Mogens

• 09-01-2009 6:54 AM In reply to

• BenSA
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Durban, South Africa
    • Posts 808
    • Gold Member

I have been very impressed with my Beovox RL140's. Sound quality is superb!

Durban South Africa

• 09-01-2009 8:32 AM In reply to

Exactly what Peter said! Yes -  thumbs up

If price is a factor, I will go to my grave with a pair of early S45 or -2's (not the later double fret).

• B&o bottle opener
  • 09-01-2009 9:03 AM In reply to

BenSA:

I have been very impressed with my Beovox RL140's. Sound quality is superb!

The RL140s have the added attraction that when you have finished using them as speakers you can strap them to a boat and use them as sails!

Simon

• 09-01-2009 9:16 AM In reply to

Beovox 800 really surprised me with BM901 ! they are absolutely perfect for 901 and for my ear.

when your Black Label begin to taste like juice just take shot or two of Absinthe and after that quench with some vodka, if you still feel juice like take beer with grappa !

• 09-01-2009 9:23 AM In reply to

Hi Mogens,

I can't prefess to be an expert on this as I have never been fortunate to hear the MS150/ M150 but by all accounts by many of our very experienced fellow members (such as Peter)  they are in the top few beovox.... so you have done well I feel, and would personally keep them. 

If you haven't changed the caps you should do this to bring them back to spec and check the woofers are all in good order....

Good luck with them....

Laurence.

• 09-01-2009 9:42 AM In reply to

soundchoice70:

Hi Mogens,

I can't prefess to be an expert on this as I have never been fortunate to hear the MS150/ M150 but by all accounts by many of our very experienced fellow members (such as Peter)  they are in the top few beovox.... so you have done well I feel, and would personally keep them. 

If you haven't changed the caps you should do this to bring them back to spec and check the woofers are all in good order....

Good luck with them....

Laurence.

Beovox Pentas are great speakers when used with the right amp (such as the 8000), and have a wow factor coupled with an ability to fit better into contemporary interiors than the rosewood finished MS150s. I've not had the opportunity to audition a good pair of 150s in my own home, but I've been assured that they are impressive.

To answer your question though Mogens, as the Pentas' footprint is smaller than the 150s and they can more easily be placed in corners or angled due to their shape without looking out of place, so I suppose in that sense there's an advantage to be had over the 150s.

President, Beomaster 8000 Appreciation Society

• 09-01-2009 1:42 PM In reply to

Bundy:

I bought  a beolab 8000 system, and with that came 2 MS150 and 2 M150 speakers. They sound great but are hard to place, are the beovox penta better? They are easyer to place.

Mogens

The straight answer is that , no, the Pentas are not better. The MS150s have better more accurate bass and are a very good passive speaker which would cost about £2500 - 3000 to get something that sounds as good these days - not my opinion but those of a speaker manufacturer who fixed mine. Very flat frequency response.

However Pentas are a lot more convenient due to their small footprint, and life is all about compromise. The MS150s may well have foam rot as well if not already fixed. I do have both (actually Beolab Pentas and MS150s - in the same room!) and have compared them playing against each other. The result surprised me.

• 09-02-2009 3:12 PM In reply to

• Bundy
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 05-25-2008
    • Bolderslev, Denmark
    • Posts 58
    • Gold Member

Thank you for all your responses. Sounds like i don´t have to loke for pentas if it is the best sound i am looking for.

I don´t know how you guys have it but i like the "old" b&o more and more. I started my b&o days in 1998 with beosystem 2300 and beolab 4000. Copied all my cds to MP3 and connected my PC with the beosystem 2300. Thinking this is great. Swapped the 2300 with a beosound 4 last year and thought that is was cool seeing the MP3 tracks on the beosound 4, internet radio ect. But i always thougt about the systems i remembered as a child/young man in the 80´. I then bought a beocenter 7700 with S80.2 speakers, bourght a new SMMC4 from soundsmith and startede buying LPs. It was a wonderfull experience. What a warm sound, and LPs are great, you can now see that most covers are spieces of art. And there is also an "wow" effect. Many people thinks it lookes great. Lately i was lucky to buy the beolab 8000 system and it is so nice to feel the weight of the system. I have started to try and repair some of the old stuff i buy, with help from "Dillen", and  when it works i give me great satisfaction.

I have almost regretted buying the beosound 4. You can buy allot of old b&o stuff for the same money.

• 09-02-2009 3:19 PM In reply to

I can feel a trip to Venø coming on for you!!Laughing

• 09-02-2009 3:39 PM In reply to

I have the Beovox MS150 and I think that this speaker (in combination with a Beomaster 8000) is the best Beovox.

• 09-03-2009 10:48 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

"Horses for courses" as they say.

I've owned countless Beovox models and my favouite all round ones are my MC120.2's which I would never part with. I run them with a Beomaster 5500 and they work fantastically well. The best sounding ones (IMO) were some MS150's but as Peter has already mentioned they can be used as tool sheds so you really need a decent sized space & a good powerful amp to get the best out of these. The WAF (wife approval factor) also comes into play so these had to go.

I would rate the Beovox Penta's on a par with the MC120.2's but not quite as detailed but this may be down to my MC120's being recapped which I haven't (yet) done with the penta's.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 09-03-2009 11:28 AM In reply to

Chris,

Good point on the MC120.2... with a "footprint" not terribly bigger than 45's... well, they may just be the best!

• B&o bottle opener
  • 09-03-2009 12:31 PM In reply to

An insider at B&O said the MC120 was the best balanced passive speaker made by B&O. He liked the S45-2s as well, which were the speaker touted as the best balanced by a salesman at my old dealer. This particular salesman was never that keen on B&O - he was more involved with musical instruments - which made his opinion all the more valuable in my opinion! Smile

• 09-03-2009 2:00 PM In reply to

I currently have: Beovox M150, S120, S80.2 and CX100.

The Beovox M150 are connected to the Beolab 8000 system and they have tight bass and very acurate.

Beovox S120 are very balanced and sound just as acurate. Used with the Beomaster 6000.

Beovox S80.2 has less bass than S120 but nice sound and again acurate. Connected to Beosystem 6500 as main speakers.

The S120 and S80.2  as 2 pairs into a Beomaster 6000 sounds full and the S120 dominate a bit but a very good combination.

Beovox CX100 sounds and looks great. No foam rot. Can sound big compared to size. Balance is good. Used as kitchen speakers. I have tried them with Beomaster 8000, 6500 and a Beocord 1600. Sound was great regardless of B&O source.

I don't have a favorite but it comes down to room size really. They all have great sound but the smaller the room the less speakers I need.

• 09-03-2009 3:16 PM In reply to

I'm still using a pair of Beovox 2600's from the early 70's with a Beomaster 1200 and they are still very very good. Both my brother-in-law and father-in-law bought B&O systems in the late 70's (after being impressed with my system). Their speakers were much thinner with metal trims (can't recall which Beovox models they were) but there was always a view that the 2600's had a better tone.

Graham

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure. [W C Fields]

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)