in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 01-25-2010 8:36 PM by elephant. 94 replies.
Page 3 of 4 (95 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-21-2009 5:42 PM In reply to

Re: Snow Leopard - Update: BM-Link not 100% compatible. Don't upgrade yet!

I have ours set to 12 characters and longer, both options selected. I have not had any failure for some time now. I have to keep turning the program back on after the 1 hour timeout.

Your tests sound much better and more technical than mine.

Beovision 7-55 with Beolab 7-4, 9s and 4000s

Beovision 10-40 with Beolab 1s and 6000s

Beosound 1, 5, 2000, and 3000

Beotime, Beotalk, Beocoms

• 11-21-2009 7:12 PM In reply to

• rippi
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Posts 12
    • Bronze Member

Finally i could stop the crashes by reprogramming the BeoSound to A.OPT 1 and Linkplayer too. So iTunes reacts on the Beo4 COmmands.

The only thing missing now is sound. The Audio connection between the Mac and PC2 doesn't seem to be triggered appropriate.

When i try with BM-Link i can verify that when N.Music is running and i remove the cable connected to the Headphone Output that if i touch the cable running to PC2 with my fingers i hear a humming noise via the speakers. I don't experience the same behaviour when using LinkPlayer even though iTunes responds and plays. It seems that in my case LinkPlayer doesn't seem to route the Audio to the BeoSOund.

• 11-22-2009 4:17 AM In reply to

Dear all,

Thanks to the bug reports that I have received from some of you I have identified the two causes of freeze.

One is due to sending messages to the Masterlink too quickly, the other is due to iTunes not responding when I am trying to read the current song title.

The first problem happens more often since I have introduced the song title display as I am sending longer messages on the bus.

I my internal development version, I have already fixed the first cause, and will be working on the other one this week.

I am also aware that compatibility with Leopard (10.5.x) has been broken since 0.5, but I'll try and fix that in the next version as well.

I'd like to know if some of have managed to get song titles diplayed on a Beosound with "Longer display". 

If experiencing any other problem than the 2 mentioned here (freeze and leopard compatibility), please report to me by email.

Thanks all for your help.

Philippe

• 12-02-2009 6:55 PM In reply to

• violinman
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 10-09-2007
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 1
    • Silver Member

i am interested in being a beta tester. have beolink pc2 attached to a macmini. audiomaster in different room is beosound 3200. i can distribute n.music, and can control itunes (either direct or via frontrow) but i can't listen to audio sources like cd, radio, a.mem via the Mac.

• 12-03-2009 2:26 AM In reply to

Razlaw:
    Your tests sound much better and more technical than mine.

that's because I have been in IT a long time ... I started programming in 1967 !

rippi:

The only thing missing now is sound. The Audio connection between the Mac and PC2 doesn't seem to be triggered appropriate.

When i try with BM-Link i can verify that when N.Music is running and i remove the cable connected to the Headphone Output that if i touch the cable running to PC2 with my fingers i hear a humming noise via the speakers. I don't experience the same behaviour when using LinkPlayer even though iTunes responds and plays. It seems that in my case LinkPlayer doesn't seem to route the Audio to the BeoSOund.

I am having similar problems, but I don't know if it is the software or the actually Macbook headphone jack - sometime wiggling the cable cures the problem, but other times even when I remove it I dont hear anything through the Macbook speakers - very strange. 

I plan to do test in the weekend to try to isolate it.

I will probably find it is my ears that are loose :D

violinman:
    but i can't listen to audio sources like cd, radio, a.mem via the Mac.

Hmm, I will try that test tonight !

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 12-03-2009 4:30 PM In reply to

elephant:

I am having similar problems, but I don't know if it is the software or the actually Macbook headphone jack - sometime wiggling the cable cures the problem, but other times even when I remove it I dont hear anything through the Macbook speakers - very strange. 

I plan to do test in the weekend to try to isolate it.

I will probably find it is my ears that are loose :D

violinman:
    but i can't listen to audio sources like cd, radio, a.mem via the Mac.

Hmm, I will try that test tonight !

No problems today with headphone jack connectivity, and so I had a very successful 60 minute test to address violinman's requirements.

I used the LinkPlayer Virtual Remote aka VR (i.e. the screen interface, see below, pardon my desktop in the screen shots!) to:

• start CD on my BeoSound 4 and hear it on the BeoLab 4s attached to my BeoPort
    1. the VR's display increments its number as the CD plays through its tracks (see screenshots below, left hand VR)
    2. switch between CD tracks using the ^ and v keys
    3. fast forward and rewind through the CD with the ">> and then (GO)" and "<< and then (GO)" key combinations - no sound is played as the CD speeds through the track

• start RADIO and hear that from the BS 4
    1. switch stations using the ^ and v keys

• start A.MEM on the BS 4 (i.e. its SD Card) and hear that
    1. switch tracks using the ^ and v keys
    2. switch "folders" using the << and >> keys
    3. the VR displayed both "folder" and track numbers (see middle VR in screenshots)

• start A.AUX on the BS 4 (I had plugged in my BeoSound 2 into the BeoSound 4) and heard that 
    1. although the VR keys of ^, v, <<, and >> were highlighted the BeoSound 4 DIN to BeoSound 2 headphone jack interface could not carry any signals and so no track or "folder" skipping of the BeoSound 2's SD Card was possible ... if I get a chance (and can clear the space for it), I might hook up one of my BeoCord 5000s to the BeoSound 4 just to make sure those commands are also propagated across the A.AUX DIN interface (I am sure they will be)

• start DTV on my BeoVision 8
    1. at first I thought this test had failed, however the considerable delay was the BV 8 switching on and going through some decision process to not activate its BeoLab 3s and not activate its screen and then to start transmitting the audio over the MasterLink
    2. I then used the ^ and v keys to move up and down digital TV stations
    3. The VR displays the number of the digital station as registered in the BV 8

• start V.AUX on the BV 8 ... after a long period of silence I realised I had accidentally pressed V.MEM, so I pressed V.AUX again, and
    1. heard my Foxtel (Sky equivalent) 
    2. the video station number however continued to be the number last displayed (#22) under DTV (see right hand VR screenshot) 
    3. tried using the ^ and v keys but got no response
    4. tried using the << and >> keys but got no response (in any case these would have been visual responses on the BV 8 which still had its LCD off)
    5. entered a station number (#102) and heard the audio switch to our ABC, which I then verified by activating the BV 8's LCD and pressing >> on the Beo4 for the BV 8 to bring up the Foxtel mini-program guide for that station

• start DVD on the BV 8 and got silence ... which was to be expected as I had not activated the PS 3 which is attached to that option/interface ... I do not have an IR blaster for this interface anyway, so the testing/experience would have been rather limited 

All in all a very satisfactory result, I will later repeat this type of test sequence using a Beo4 on the BeoPort/LinkPlayer rather than the VR on the MacBook ... and hopefully include devices such as my BeoCord 5000, BeoCord VHS, and the PlayStation itself (or perhaps a "real" DVD player that I have as a spare)

LinkPlayer Virtual Remote (VR) playing BeoSound 4's CD and then its SD Card, and then playing the BeoVion 8's Foxtel/Sky STB

Screenshots of the LinkPlayer Virtual Remote interface

First B&O (1976) was a Beogram 1500 ... latest (2011) change has been to couple the BL11 with the BL6Ks *sounds superb*

• 12-03-2009 6:10 PM In reply to

violinman:
    i can't listen to audio sources like cd, radio, a.mem via the Mac.

I think Violinman is talking about BMLink, as he has just requested to be a Beta tester, and I have not sent the version yet.

Been very actively working on 0.6 and it will be released this weekend.

Lot's of bug fixes, but surely not all unfortunately, many improvements and a couple of new features.

For those who have not seen it yet, here is the website: http://web.me.com/philrobin/LinkPlayer/Linkplayer.html

p.

• 12-04-2009 2:48 AM In reply to

Hey P,

you are doing a great job !]

E :-)

• 12-04-2009 2:48 AM In reply to

Hey P,

you are doing a great job !

E :-)

• 12-08-2009 8:46 AM In reply to

• beoandy
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Vienna
    • Posts 84
    • Gold Member

cool project! i am happy on the final version.

if you still need some beta tester, let it me know.

BS Ouverture, BS 9000, AV 9000, Avant 32 DVD, Avant 28, BS 4500, BC 9500, etc....

• 12-09-2009 6:29 AM In reply to

Just wanted to post a "thumbs up" to Phil here, for the work he's doing, excellent.

And the opening sentence of his web-site should have been engraved on the desks of the previous mgt at B&O:

If you love Bang and Olufsen, your computer is likely to be a Mac. Design, Ease of use, Integration, Attention to detail, these two brands have so much in common.

• 12-09-2009 9:30 PM In reply to

soundproof:

should have been engraved on the desks of the previous mgt at B&O

And of the current management.

• 12-13-2009 6:53 PM In reply to

Compliments again to Phil for his hard work.  The new software is wonderful!

• 12-14-2009 4:17 PM In reply to

Just read the list of updates included in the new version.....AMAZING!  

• 12-14-2009 5:37 PM In reply to

I can't wait to get home and try the new full screen interface.

If it works well, I foresee installing a small wireless screen, on a side table in the living room.  

Or perhaps installing a VNC client on the iPhone so it shows a miniature version of the Mac screen.  Then setting an old iPhone on an x-stand, say on a side table to function as a small B&O monitor? —yes, I know I can use the Remote.app, and in fact I've been using, but it is just not a B&O interface and I find it jarring to use a Beo4 and an iPhone.  A small feedback screen would allow me to use only the Beo4.

This is the interface Phil has created (and which I am filching from his website) ... I think it looks wonderful!

• 12-14-2009 7:11 PM In reply to

I had the same thought as you did. Perhaps if the rumored Apple Tablet ever becomes realty it would be perfect for the sort of use you mention?

As you mentioned it looks wonderful....also works wonderfully!

• 12-14-2009 11:26 PM In reply to

The display Phil has created is quite attractive.  I've installed a free application on the iPhone so I can see the Mac's full screen anywhere in the house and control the B&O exclusively via Beo4.  Set up like so, the iPhone merely provides visual feedback to whatever commands are selected via the Beo4 —there is no interactivity whatsoever via the iPhone.  And that's exactly what I wanted.  

The only downside right now is that the cheap VNC application I am using on the iPhone dims the screen after a short while and later further lets the iPhone fall asleep.  I am currently seeking a VNC client for iPhone that won't let let iPhone or iPod Touch fall asleep at all until the session to the Mac is manually disconnected (...or the battery runs down).

iPhone view of the LinkPlayer interface.  Never mind the ugly blue buttons, those are on the iPhone VNC client and should not be there.

Macintosh view of the full screen LinkPlayer interface.  I think the "Source", "Track," and "Volume" pseudo-LEDs are fantastic.

• 12-15-2009 8:10 AM In reply to

Some people may have recognised where I took my inspiration from...

Haven't guess yet... click here!

The full screen interface, and especially the Menu interface will be refined in the next version.

p.

• 12-15-2009 9:51 AM In reply to

Wonderful job! I might give up my BL7000 now!

• 12-16-2009 2:27 AM In reply to

Looks beautiful, Phil - very elegant!

• 12-16-2009 5:46 AM In reply to

Hello Phil

A big thank you also from me ...

I am using LinkPlayer to feed music from my Mac XServe Media Server (via a Cambridge DAC Maginc) to the BS9000, and I am very happy. However, I only use it to serve N.MUSIC and N.RADIO, and I may not be the best of testers, as I am less interested in the local functions, given the server is in the basement of the house.

The only thing I could nag are two features of usability:
    1) It would be swell if we could configure Linkplayer on which sources he should present to the user - and which not. For example I have no use for the functions A.MEM and A.AUX, so why offer them as a choice?
    2) Given the transparent background of the remote, the red dot display seems hardly readable to me (see screenshot below). It is acceptable however if one uses white dot colour.

May I propose you open a new discussion thread to discuss your work? I (happily) think, that the topic has gone way beyond "Snow Leopard - Update: BM-Link not 100% compatible. Don't upgrade yet!"

Best regards
    Stefan

• 12-16-2009 6:23 AM In reply to

Hi and thanks,

Quick reply regarding the display. In 0.7, go to LinkPlayer > Preferences > Display, change the Font to a Bolder version. I have noticed that this font displays very differently depending of the type of monitor, so I have offered a choice of font.

P.

• 12-18-2009 3:53 PM In reply to

• Jobak
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-17-2009
    • Posts 19
    • Bronze Member

Hi all

I also think Phil's great work deserves another tread. This one have gone "on the sideways". I have finally read all posts in this tread, and I must say in the beginning of this tread, I was very surprised over some people giving the company in Denmark, the blame for not updating a software they didnt support in the first place and have not been a part of developing. I am 100% sure that the company dont have the source code for the splended SW BM-Link by Odlund and therefore they have no chance of updating this. I know that for fact because I received a mail years ago from an "insider" regarding previous SW updates. I used the BM-Link from the very first time it came out and where very happy using this. And also over the years. When I upgraded to SL and experienced the same trouble as you have. And emailed B&O and got the message you already know. I thought well this was maybe it? Just like so many other softwares releases, you cant expect that all your very old software to be supported in a lifetime. And especially in this case where a 3rd party company/person have developed the software. So i would stop whining about it and get on with my life. The solution I have made is: I have bought a cheap ePC (very low in power comsumption), installed Beoplayer, connected it to the local network together with my NAS drive, registered the Beoplayer and I have now over 10000 radiostations ( I believe) and all my music on the tip of my finger. One of the good thing is, I have always access to all netradiostations and all my music just by operating the Beo4, rightaway I come in the house, my MAC even dont have to be turned on. Installed some freeware remote assistant as well, in case of managing favorites, playlist etc. And put it away together with the NAS.. And I must say "Now the Beoport have the kingsplace in my home". Almost forgot the other products I have. Just my holliday greetings to all of you

• 12-18-2009 4:05 PM In reply to

Jobak:
    giving the company in Denmark, the blame for not updating a software they didnt support in the first place and have not been a part of developing.

Au contraire, the company in Denmark is 100% to blame.  I only purchased a BeoPort after BM Link became a downloadable from bang-olufsen.com, i.e., I would never have have purchased a BeoPort if it did not offer integration with Apple products.

I respect other's decision to purchase Windows-based software as a patch for BeoPort integration but I just don't want to deal another platform with a steep learning curve, viruses, antiviruses, etc.

Fortunately, LinkPlayer is proving to be a very stable and easy-to-use solution so life goes on!

• 12-18-2009 4:15 PM In reply to

• Jobak
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-17-2009
    • Posts 19
    • Bronze Member

Surprise

And yet another one...

Page 3 of 4 (95 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >