in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 09-04-2009 7:46 AM by Doc. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-30-2009 6:36 AM

• maxbison
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-30-2009
    • London
    • Posts 2
    • Bronze Member

BV7 Blu-ray player

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum (well first post at any rate – been lurking here for a while!), but wanted to share some thoughts and get your feedback on your experiences with the new BV7 mark IV.

Thanks to everyone, who has posted previously on this forum as your insights have helped me to understand some of the limitations of the mark IV and armed with this knowledge, when I finally took the plunge and visited my local dealer, I got the new mark IV 100Hz screen with BD player and had them remove the DVB module meaning I now had 3 HDMI inputs for: Apple TV, Xbox 360 and SKY HD – I even saved some money into the bargain!

Friday was the big day at our house with the delivery of the new TV and I have to say that first impressions were extremely good, both in terms of the SD picture quality and the noise of the BD player (two issues I had read about on this forum).

My old Sony TV was just that, old; so when viewing SD there was a huge noticeable improvement – I appreciate it may not be as good as some on some of the newer screens, but for me it was great!

With the internal BD player when playing a standard DVD although there was some initial noises as the disc loaded, once complete it was totally silent and picture was again great! All was looking good and I couldn’t wait to see it at its full potential with a Blu-ray movie, but as I didn’t own any that would have to wait…

On Saturday I rushed out to buy a Blu-ray disc and that night myself and my better half settled down to watch…

The picture was absolutely flawless – in one word, stunning! But, and this is a big but… the player itself, unlike when playing the standard DVDs was making a noise akin to a washing machine on spin cycle. This was no background hum, even with the volume up at 50 it could be clearly heard above the film! I’m a little confused; it doesn’t make this noise with normal discs, just the Blu-ray one. Does anybody know if Blu-ray discs spin at a faster speed?

This is not something I can live with and to be honest has left me feeling a bit jaded, particularly as up until that point my experience had been so good.

My dealer is closed today, so have not had a chance to talk to him about it, but wondered if anybody else has experienced something similar?

Thanks,

Phil

• 08-30-2009 8:19 AM In reply to

Re: BV7 Blu-ray player

hello maxbison i got a chance to see this tv in b&0 the other day and like you i was in awe at the pristine picture this tv produced. when the rep put a dvd on it ran and looked amazing. when he put on a bluray movie which was iam legend it made a few clunking noises and took quite a while to load even though it had one of the most impressive pictures i've seen to date. i came to the decision that if i purchased this tv i would consider getting it without the built in dvd bluray player as you would be able to partner  this tv with a number of  different  players that are out there worth a thought?

• 08-30-2009 10:36 AM In reply to

• Opman
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on 12-31-2007
    • Cheshire, UK
    • Posts 323
    • Bronze Member

maxbison:
    Does anybody know if Blu-ray discs spin at a faster speed?

Hi Phil

I understand that standard DVDs rotate @ 1900RPM and Bluray discs rotate @ 4000RPM.

Opman

• 08-30-2009 10:56 AM In reply to

• Doc
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 585
    • Bronze Member

I don't wanna be "annoying", but: didn't you try a BluRay at the dealer before you bought the TV ?

• 08-31-2009 2:59 AM In reply to

Hi

I own a Mk IV myself and have the following experiences.

Yes, the BD player makes noise, but ONLY on startup. It should be very close to silent during playback with both DVD and Blu-ray.

So, you should mention this to your dealer and have him play a Blu-ray in the store with the sound muted.

I know that multiple software upgrades for the MK IV are on the way as there is a lot of other issues with the Tv.

BV7-40 MK IV, BL5´s, BL3´s, BL 3500, BL7-4, BS3000, BC 6-23, BV 1, BS3.

• 08-31-2009 5:22 PM In reply to

• maxbison
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 08-30-2009
    • London
    • Posts 2
    • Bronze Member

Hi All,

Unfortunately “Bank Holiday duties” have delayed my posting, so just wanted to say thanks for the replies.

Doc:

I don't wanna be "annoying", but: didn't you try a BluRay at the dealer before you bought the TV ?

Doc, you’re not being annoying – it is my own stupid fault for although I didn’t have my own disc presumably the dealer would have had one. Besides this noise is nothing like any of the issues I had read about, so wasn’t expecting it… I’m definitely guilty of letting the heart rule the head on this one!

Ehlerz:

Hi

I own a Mk IV myself and have the following experiences.

Yes, the BD player makes noise, but ONLY on startup. It should be very close to silent during playback with both DVD and Blu-ray.

So, you should mention this to your dealer and have him play a Blu-ray in the store with the sound muted.

I know that multiple software upgrades for the MK IV are on the way as there is a lot of other issues with the Tv.

Ehlerz, that startup noise I could live with, this is something different entirely… I will definitely test the disc at the dealers and also have him check it on my TV.

At least I have some hope now, if they can fix it so it is only noisy on startup I will be a happy man!

Thanks again.

Phil

• 09-01-2009 7:38 PM In reply to

Hi Phil,

I own the previous Mark III model and have decided not to upgrade to the Mark IV. Moxxey (Chris) has much experience using this TV and I am sure he'll comment at some point in this thread. You'll find that useful and informative. You mentioned that you read previous threads when the TV was first released, as did I. It was very apparent that noise was an issue, both from a picture perspective when watching SD and with DVD loading and playback. I can't help but wonder if these are known issues? If so, then I am not sure how B&O intend fixing this as a software upgrade is not going to change a hardware fault. I suggest mentioning to your dealer that you are not satisfied with this and unless all issues are resolved then you will have no alternative but to bring it back and change for a different model. I am amazed that B&O could release this model with so many issues, its simply not acceptable. I look forward to seeing the outcome as this thread goes on.

Simon. 

• 09-02-2009 2:32 AM In reply to

The_Beonic_Man:

Hi Phil,

I own the previous Mark III model and have decided not to upgrade to the Mark IV. Moxxey (Chris) has much experience using this TV and I am sure he'll comment at some point in this thread. You'll find that useful and informative. You mentioned that you read previous threads when the TV was first released, as did I. It was very apparent that noise was an issue, both from a picture perspective when watching SD and with DVD loading and playback. I can't help but wonder if these are known issues? If so, then I am not sure how B&O intend fixing this as a software upgrade is not going to change a hardware fault. I suggest mentioning to your dealer that you are not satisfied with this and unless all issues are resolved then you will have no alternative but to bring it back and change for a different model. I am amazed that B&O could release this model with so many issues, its simply not acceptable. I look forward to seeing the outcome as this thread goes on.

Simon. 

Hi Phil

I have adressed ALL the apperant issues with the MK IV to my dealer and he has been in contacs with B&O. Officially, they are very much aware of theese issues and are doing everything to solve them(so i was told). I have myself told my dealer that if the issues are not solved, he will have the tv back.

1: The noise you hear when using the other two HDMI inputs are also present on MK III, just not that much. The issue is known to B&O and they are working on a solution.

2: The noisy Blu-ray module are also known. However, it is NOT normal for the drive to be noisy during playback, only during startup. 

Hopefully, the issues will be solved shortly

BV7-40 MK IV, BL5´s, BL3´s, BL 3500, BL7-4, BS3000, BC 6-23, BV 1, BS3.

• 09-02-2009 5:37 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

To be honest, I'm a little fed up with B&O and the issues with BV7-40 MKIII and now the MKIV. I had to wait for three major sw updates, over a period of about a year, to fix three key issues with the MKIII. You would have thought they'd learnt their lessons and would have got the MKIV right, first time. Now we're having to feed back info to our dealer and wait for a sw fix to sort out a few new MKIV-specific issues.

Apparently, B&O think this is fine for a £10K TV. It's clearly a 'great' customer experience. Clearly they think we're so happy with our TVs, we'll remain with B&O as long as they fix the the issues via sw updates, which an engineer has to install, many months after receiving our TVs.

I casually mentioned to my dealer, the other day, that I'm planning on turning my old home office (which is fairly large) in to a TV room, which may require a larger TV. Briefly considered the forthcoming BV7-55, until I realised it will be around £13K and I'd only get £6K, max, for my new BV7-40 MKIV, leaving a gap of £7K to find. We're all mugs or have so much money we don't care. If we do, then more fool us.

• 09-02-2009 5:55 AM In reply to

Interesting, as part of my upgrade form MKII to MKIII the BR module upgrde is included and is free. THe module was supposed to arrive in August but is delayed until September. Presumbably to correct the problems highlighted in the thread.

• 09-02-2009 6:00 AM In reply to

• Seanie_230
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Milton Keynes, England
    • Posts 962
    • Gold Member

moxxey:

To be honest, I'm a little fed up with B&O and the issues with BV7-40 MKIII and now the MKIV. I had to wait for three major sw updates, over a period of about a year, to fix three key issues with the MKIII. You would have thought they'd learnt their lessons and would have got the MKIV right, first time. Now we're having to feed back info to our dealer and wait for a sw fix to sort out a few new MKIV-specific issues.

Apparently, B&O think this is fine for a £10K TV. It's clearly a 'great' customer experience. Clearly they think we're so happy with our TVs, we'll remain with B&O as long as they fix the the issues via sw updates, which an engineer has to install, many months after receiving our TVs.

I casually mentioned to my dealer, the other day, that I'm planning on turning my old home office (which is fairly large) in to a TV room, which may require a larger TV. Briefly considered the forthcoming BV7-55, until I realised it will be around £13K and I'd only get £6K, max, for my new BV7-40 MKIV, leaving a gap of £7K to find. We're all mugs or have so much money we don't care. If we do, then more fool us.

Hello Moxxey

I agree with you and i was there with the same issues with my TV for many many months (7-8 i think) while they tried to fix the problem.

If i released a software patch into my company and it did not work i would be dragged over the coals.

Since my BV7 problems i have moved beomedia over to Apple tv and i need a new bluray player as my PS3 died and im stuck

i want a not to expensive one, and would love the internal upgrade path but not for £1000.

Its a shame they dont care about their customers the way they used to.

£13000 for a TV is just Stupid.

I for one will now be keeping my BV7 as is unless a massive update comes.

i woudl rather spend more money on a higher def progector for film.

Beovision 7 MKIV (Blu Ray)
    Beolab 9

Beolab 6000
    Beo 4
    Beocenter 9300
    Apple TV
    SKY HD
    Optoma HD65 Projector
    Lintronic TT455-RT-238
    Beovision 3 MKII

• 09-03-2009 4:55 AM In reply to

"I for one will now be keeping my BV7 as is unless a massive update comes.

i woudl rather spend more money on a higher def progector for film."

Very well said why are they charging so much for a 55 inch lcd tv when surely a better priced bv9 with some striped out items like the hdr recorder and lowered price to 8 k would surely sell very well 

i would also like to see the bv7 55 up against the sharp lcd which is £ 9k its supposed to be the best lcd on the market

you can have an amazing  homecineam system for £15 k with all controls and seats built into a room it certainly shows up b+o pricing.

• 09-03-2009 5:49 AM In reply to

• Seanie_230
    • Top 75 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-20-2007
    • Milton Keynes, England
    • Posts 962
    • Gold Member

ah back to price B&O prices are vile and there is no need for it at all.

condisering we are always chasing the new features like Dolby TrueHD & HDMI 1.3 most of us will need to upgrade our whole TV set now and then, now if the TV was a good price then you could do this but as they are completly out of touch with reality we will always be left behind with old technology and wanting more.

Beovision 7 MKIV (Blu Ray)
    Beolab 9

Beolab 6000
    Beo 4
    Beocenter 9300
    Apple TV
    SKY HD
    Optoma HD65 Projector
    Lintronic TT455-RT-238
    Beovision 3 MKII

• 09-04-2009 7:46 AM In reply to

• Doc
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 585
    • Bronze Member

MGBGTV8:

"I for one will now be keeping my BV7 as is unless a massive update comes.

i woudl rather spend more money on a higher def progector for film."

Very well said why are they charging so much for a 55 inch lcd tv when surely a better priced bv9 with some striped out items like the hdr recorder and lowered price to 8 k would surely sell very well 

i would also like to see the bv7 55 up against the sharp lcd which is £ 9k its supposed to be the best lcd on the market

you can have an amazing  homecineam system for £15 k with all controls and seats built into a room it certainly shows up b+o pricing.

Which sharp LCD are you referring to? The next LED-LCD (LC52LE700E) will be for sale in Holland at 2100,- euro ! (not even near 9k !)

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)