in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-28-2009 1:00 PM by Gary Ogden. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-27-2009 2:39 PM

Beosound - 5 transferring music

Hello

Apoligies if this question has been asked before but I could not find it! After 6 hours of painstaking drilling and wiring installation of my Beosound5 took place yesterday by my local B&O store guys. Then today I start the process of moving 3,000 music tracks from my iMac (iTunes) to the Beomaster5 only to realise that over 90% of them are reported as DRM protected and will not transfer. Have I made a £4,000 blunder here by throwing away my Apple tv? I apreciate there is software out there to remove the DRM but apparently it degrades the quality so no point doing that. Anyone help as there was nothing about this in the sales and demo pitch.

Thanks

gary

• 08-27-2009 2:49 PM In reply to

Re: Beosound - 5 transferring music

As I can remember it was Apple itself who released software to DRM free your purchased music.

• 08-27-2009 2:52 PM In reply to

Thanks Beobuddy - this might take some working out!!

Gary

• 08-27-2009 3:04 PM In reply to

If you log into Itunes, you should be able to upgrade your music to Itunes plus which is the format that was introduced some month back, that one does not carry DRM.

Any old tracks you should be able to upgrade to non DRM for a small fee which will also improve the quality significant. There is a button somewhere in the Itunes store, I think when you log in on the right side of the home page it display the number of songs you are able to upgrade ....

Cheers

JK

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 08-27-2009 3:21 PM In reply to

Thanks so much JK although I spend loads of time in iTunes I missed this and so have just paid that nice man at Apple yet more money. I guess in the context of the cost of the Beosound5 its not much though. I'm surprised this is not mentioned in any of the B&O guides - well perhaps on reflection I'm not!!

Gary

• 08-27-2009 4:49 PM In reply to

Is actually a a good deal, the old files have 128 kbs, the new ones 256 making them a decent choice for the BS5. The quality should be significant better .....

Cheers

JK

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 08-28-2009 2:11 AM In reply to

I agree with comment about improved quality but just discovered that iTunes can only upgrade less than a quarter of my music collection and I have to download each track individually each taking 3 mins aaaahhh

• 08-28-2009 3:28 AM In reply to

a big word of warning though.

as far as i can work out the Bs5 will only play those tracks with a .mp3 file extension. a lot of itunes music is now on newer .m4a extension and similar versions and these won't play..!

• 08-28-2009 3:38 AM In reply to

Thanks for this. The installation guy is coming back this morning so I will find out. He may have to go get the boxes so he doesn't damage the BS5 on its way back to the shop!! Just upgrading to iTunes plus is gonna take me about 6 hours.

• 08-28-2009 3:58 AM In reply to

even if you could upgrade old Mp3s to DRM free check that the old files are actually mp3. itunes puts most of its music out on m4a and similar formats - these will NOT play on the Bs5...!

• 08-28-2009 4:21 AM In reply to

The specs say the BS5 will play unprotected AAC, which is what the 'm4a' files are.

I'm not aware that iTunes has ever sold mp3.

• 08-28-2009 11:43 AM In reply to

• grieg007
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 05-19-2007
    • Bergen, Norway
    • Posts 54
    • Gold Member

Sorry, seethroughyou, but that is wrong information. The new AAC files (without DRM and at 256 kbps) from iTunes (with .m4a tag names) play great on the BS5 and with BeoPlayer. Album artwork also looks really good on the BS5.

Christian

• 08-28-2009 1:00 PM In reply to

Thanks everyone who responded. The installation guy (Jack) has been back today and done (as they always do) a brilliant job and the BS5 looks really cool. It looks as though the AAC will be just fine. I think my real issue is that if you read any of the material on the BS5 you are left with the impression that ALL digitally held music, say on your Mac is just straight drag and drop. That is just not the case as I have already spent 6 hours upgrading each track one at a time to iTunes+ and then only have a quarter of my music available via the Beomaster5. Its just not as simple as it sounds. I have suggested that dealers might at least want to mention this fact.

Thanks again

Gary

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)