in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 06-09-2007 9:29 PM by Medogsfat. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-07-2007 5:35 AM

mcp5500 defect

I recently bought a beomaster5500, a beogramCD50, a beocord5500 [this item will soon be arriving from Lee] and a mcp5500; the exteriour is in reasonable good condition, technically they are in perfect shape, except for the mcp5500.

The wheel which adjust the volume is moving too easely, the volumelight on the mcp nor the volume itself on the master is reacting, I've bought a spare mcp5500 for a few euro's beacause the exterior in a lousy condition, but in good working order.

I've opened the both of them, but I can't figure out what and how the wheel is activating things [a belt, a current or what?] so I might be able to solve the problem, otherwise I will detach the content of the ugly [but good working] mcp end put it in the beter looking one [if that can be done easely]

It looked like an easy fix but it's not [for me anyway]

Does anyone has a clue or a suggestion?

Leon: Beoworld's First "First Prize" winner. "Carpe Diem et Dolce Far Niente"
    Filed under:
  • 06-07-2007 5:58 AM In reply to

• Ulf
    • Top 100 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 665
    • Bronze Member

Re: mcp5500 defect

The Volume wheel switches a little cherry-switch in both directions, for volume up and volume down.

Did it work?

Ulf

• 06-07-2007 6:15 AM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Hi Leon,

I've posted a reply to this question as asked in the vintage products section.

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

• 06-07-2007 12:17 PM In reply to

There is a micro switch mounted on the inside of the wheel. Depending which way you move the wheel the switch either makes contact one way or the other. (Easy to see, not so easy to explain)

The contacts of the switch become dirty and no longer make contact. I clean them with fine emery paper and this usually gets them going.

BEWARE THE SMALL SPRING ON THE SWITCH. IT CAN PING OFF AND GET LOST!!!

Regards Graham

• 06-07-2007 3:48 PM In reply to

• Dillen
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-14-2007
    • Copenhagen / Denmark
    • Posts 5,008
    • Founder

The switches merely tells the electronics whether to turn up or down.
    The step pulses comes from the opto reading the black and white square pattern through a tiny hole on the side of the casing surrounding the
    volume wheel on the inside of the Master Control Panel.
    The opto is a single 3-pin unit with both transmitter and
    reader in one, mounted on the PCB, obviously very close to the volume wheel.
    I've replaced the opto in a couple of MCP's recently where the
    transmitter section had become weak.
    (New opto's are in stock).

Symptoms (if I remember correctly) are that when the volume wheel
    is turned, the MCP lights up as supposed to but doesn't change the volume.
    The Beomaster doesn't react since no information is sent from the MCP.

If the switch is bad, I believe you won't get any reaction from the MCP at all when the wheel is spun but since I haven't seen this fault, I am not 100% sure of this.

Martin

• 06-09-2007 7:17 AM In reply to

thnx for all the reactions; I will try to find the cherry [switch] and see what I can do for myself about it.

compare the both of them and see what the difference is between the working and not working wheel.

keep you posted...........I'll keep my fingers crossed and my eyes open.....:-)

Leon: Beoworld's First "First Prize" winner. "Carpe Diem et Dolce Far Niente"
  • 06-09-2007 9:29 PM In reply to

• Medogsfat
    • Top 10 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 02-21-2007
    • *Moderator* Leeds, Yorkshire
    • Posts 4,045
    • Founder

Let me know if you need a replacement switch - I have a spare sitting around doing nothingSmile

Chris.

The use of metaphors should be avoided like the plague. They're like a red rag to a bull to me.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)