in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-20-2009 4:52 AM by Chrisreunion. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-18-2009 7:10 AM

• Greg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • London, UK
    • Posts 109
    • Bronze Member

I won a Serenata

OK, technically, I won a Beosound 6 (in the last Prize Draw). Unfortunately it went missing, and Lee offered a Serenata instead which of course I accepted. I'm told there's a few people out there who don't believe they can win a prize so I thought I'd let them know they can!!!

So, I'm now the proud owner of a brand new (security seal was intact!) Serenata. I already own a Serene (and before people start thinking 'not fair, he's rich and he won a prize!' I should mention I'm not rich and did have to stretch my finances quite a bit to get the Serene), and I absolutely love it. So it's great to have the chance to compare the two. I never knew quite what to make of the Serenata at launch, and I still don't!

It's a very odd product, a 3G phone with music player. The form factor is also odd, I don't think it looks as nice as the Serene but it feels very well put together and the materials feel great. The speaker is bizarre, not sure what I was expecting but the sound quality is good for such a tiny thing, even if it can't (obviously) provide much volume. The method of dialling numbers has been commented on before, it really is mad! It has a rudimentary touch screen as well as the scrollwheel and the way the two are used together is either genius or insane. Certainly it seems (and is) old fashioned compared to an iPhone. An example - you can touch the screen to select music, then scroll through the tracks using the wheel. Having used an iPhone, the temptation is to try and scroll using the touchscreen - but it's not a multi-touch screen, so it doesn't work! Of course in terms of functionality, and ease of us, the iPhone is light years ahead. But everyone and his dog has an iPhone.

Of course, the Serenata is now gone from the B&O product list, so I guess it never found its purpose or market. I can see why, but there is something appealing about it. 

I haven't yet had a chance to play with it very much, or to get my own music onto it (although I quite like the jazz and so on that comes pre-loaded; I guess that illuminates B&O's - probably correct - assumptions about their traditional customers). It doesn't seem to work with a Mac, so I've dug out a copy of Windows XP (yuk) to put on my computer. I'll report back again when I've set that up and so had a chance to try Serenata out properly.

All in all, not sure about Serenata as a product, but feeling very lucky to have got one as a prize! So anyone that hasn't won anything yet, don't be disheartened, I never thought I'd win anything either!

• 08-18-2009 7:35 AM In reply to

• Tom
    • Top 25 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-16-2007
    • Luxembourg
    • Posts 3,175
    • Bronze Member

Re: I won a Serenata

Great news, Greg!

If you change your mind about the Serenata and want to make win another not-yet-prize-winner a prize-winner, just let me know it...

Yes -  thumbs up

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. - Berthold Auerbach

• 08-18-2009 7:36 AM In reply to

A Serenata instead of a Beosound 6, what a great deal. Ok Lee I'm the August 09 1st Prize Draw Winner : the Beovision 8 will go missing and you will send me a Beovision 7-40 Bluray lol

• 08-18-2009 8:18 AM In reply to

• Greg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • London, UK
    • Posts 109
    • Bronze Member

Yes, I didn't need to think about it too long!  Double helping of luck for me!!

I just found out it has a video player so I'm now impatiently trying to figure out how to get a video onto it (I've given up on music until I can get windows up and running - I have the iTunes Mac plugin but it doesn't include cover art with songs)... 

Incidentally, can anyone that has a Serenata answer some other questions for me:

1. Does the earset 3 that comes with Serenata also work with Serene? (I didn't want to try it in case I damage the Serene)

2. Does the speaker allow you to use the phone on speakerphone? (I guess so, just haven't tried it yet)

3. Does an incoming call pause or stop music playback?

Thanks!!

PS I should explain that although the box was sealed there was no manual, so I'm figuring it all out! have downloaded a PDF version from B&O but more fun trying to figure it out (and I hate reading stuff on screen).

I'll post more of my observations, and hopefully pictures, once I have it all set up!

• 08-18-2009 11:02 AM In reply to

• BeoLad
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 07-23-2007
    • West Midlands
    • Posts 37
    • Bronze Member

Hey

Yes the loudspeaker does work as a loudspeaker for phone calls, i am not sure about calls stopping the music nobody ever calls me any more lol

The manual is a seperate thing now and comes with the software disc in a sealed bag, like the ins book the the beo5 remote control.

• 08-18-2009 12:08 PM In reply to

• Greg
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • London, UK
    • Posts 109
    • Bronze Member

BeoLad:

Hey

Yes the loudspeaker does work as a loudspeaker for phone calls, i am not sure about calls stopping the music nobody ever calls me any more lol

The manual is a seperate thing now and comes with the software disc in a sealed bag, like the ins book the the beo5 remote control.

Thanks for this! I'll try it out later, and check if incoming calls stop playback... that latter feature would be great as right now I often have my ipod on, and my phone in my pocket, and have no idea if it's ringing until it's too late!  I saw in the PDF manual that there's a feature to *not* have calls interrupt music playback, so my guess is they will unless I turn that feature on. Will check and report!

• 08-20-2009 4:52 AM In reply to

Hi, congratulations on winning a Serenata, I own one and tend to agree with you, everybody wants an Iphone, and since I don't like being "anybody"...Stick out tongue

Usually, when listening to music when a call comes in, you'll hear the ringtone via the Earset 3 and will be able to reply either by pressing the knob on the earset or the conventional green "touch" on the phone.

If you listen to music with "pure music" activated, then the call will be diverted to your voicemail and you'll listen to your audio files without being disturbed.Smile

Reunion Island is greeting you!

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)