in Search
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- April 2007 to March 2012
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the first Archived Forum which was active between 17th April 2007 and 1st March February 2012

Latest post 08-17-2009 8:02 AM by beojeff. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-15-2009 9:12 PM

Beosound 5.... who has it and likes it? or get something else?

Now that it has been out for a while - what is the general impression?

How is it overall for an audio digital media source?

Or is something else better?

-michael

• 08-15-2009 10:09 PM In reply to

Re: Beosound 5.... who has it and likes it? or get something else?

Got and love it.

If you're serious about a high quality experience with your digital music, it's extremely competitive to what's out there. The McIntosh MS750 costs the same amount but only has a 40 character display. Not quite sure how you browse your archives there! The Meridian Sooloos system costs twice as much to do basically what the BeoSound 5 does, but more awkwardly. Neither one sounds as good and I can't see who'd invest in a Sooloos when you can just set your Kaleidescape up w/ Crestron and customize the experience. (I do actually like my Kaleidescape system and it's the only thing I've used that's as clever as the BeoSound 5). 

Now if your other option was an iPhone or AirTunes or something like that, then... uh. Follow your heart.

It's also safe to say that the upcoming features will make the BeoSound 5 fairly dominant in the high end digital media market. 

There is scarcely anything in this world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. - John Ruskin

• 08-15-2009 11:00 PM In reply to

>>It's also safe to say that the upcoming features will make the BeoSound 5 fairly dominant in the high end digital media market.<<

Lets wait until its there. The published plan to update the software seemed weak to me.

I am looking for something for digital music but want a 2 way and gapless music with MAC supported formats solved. As long as thats not there I get up and change CDs ... oh wait, I have a BS9000 so  am actually getting up less then I would with the curent BS5.

Iphone/ATV wouldn't make me happy ..... that I know .......

JK

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 08-16-2009 3:26 AM In reply to

• pf85
    • Top 500 Contributor
      Male
    • Joined on 04-21-2007
    • Posts 145
    • Founder

TripEnglish, any update on the upcoming features ? My rating after nearly 6 months of BS5-BM5 is similar... on top of that like with everything B&O, seamless integration...

• 08-16-2009 4:12 AM In reply to

• moxxey
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-14-2007
    • South West, UK
    • Posts 2,360
    • Bronze Member

mfirst:

Now that it has been out for a while - what is the general impression?

I had it for 5-6 weeks, then sold it and replaced it with an Apple TV (I already had an Mac Mini-based music distribution system). The Apple TV has a better interface when controlled via the TV, plus extra functionality. From that perspective, I've not looked back.

The BS5 is better if you want a tactile interface to use to control your music. However, the BM5 was always way too big for me. Unless you have somewhere to hid it (cabinet?), it's a big device for the simple process of storing audio.

• 08-16-2009 4:44 AM In reply to

Got it and I simply can't do without anymore.

The MOTS is absolute stunning, it has newer disappointet me. I have masterlink all over and don't miss interaction from linkroom because you plant a seed on BS5 and then you listen to music for hours in any link room. I have discovered lots of music I have forgot aboutBig Smile

My wife also love it because its so simple and inutive to use

• 08-16-2009 5:02 AM In reply to

• glennp
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 11-20-2008
    • Christchurch, New Zealand
    • Posts 9
    • Bronze Member

I've had mine about 3 months - I love it - listening to it while I write this.

MOTS is great - It's amazing how it matches up unlikely artists because the songs are the same

I too have found new music I had forgotten about.

I have the BS5 mounted on the wall above my BS9000  - looks good sounds great

glenn

• 08-16-2009 5:29 AM In reply to

• TWG
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Germany
    • Posts 950
    • Gold Member

After 2 months my BS 5 works like it should. Now I'm happy with it!

It could have some interface tweaks:

- display elapsed and remaining track time
    - search function within a track (I think it could be programmed to use the wheel for it like on an iPod)
    - give ANY feedback when you press "MOTS" etc. on the remote. The user will not see if the unit did accept it or not. 

only alternative or supplement would be a Sonos system which works wireless and 2 way like a charme. 

• 08-16-2009 8:56 AM In reply to

Is there any sense of what the software/firmware update are?

When they are coming?

Are they going to be free?  or in true B&O style - too expensive to justify by normal common sense?

-michael

• 08-16-2009 10:55 AM In reply to

• Stan
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-17-2007
    • Posts 593
    • Gold Member

I've had mine for a couple months, listen to it often for many hours a day (I work at home and have my office as a link room) and echo the positive comments above (sounds great, MOTS works, finds forgotten songs, nice users experience). 

I would warn that if you enjoy a high degree of control over your music (i.e. like to build extensive playlists, search for songs by composer, etc.), then maybe it is not for you.  But then, the point of MOTS is to let the system pick the music for you, and this works quite well... although I do find that MOTS sometimes seems to like certain songs "too much".  I've temporarily removed a few songs from my BM5 because it seemed like they were played with almost any seed (although this could be my imagination - I've not done any statistical analysis Smile )  I'm curious if others have experienced this with MOTS.

Stan

• 08-16-2009 10:57 AM In reply to

That is in interesting question. Smaller upgrades come free through the automated software upgrade process, similar to what Macs or PS do.

What happens if a major release is done ..... I personally doubt though this will happen ... I think you will see many smaller free improvements over time .....

BS9000, BS2300, BC2, BL2500, BL3, Bl2, BS1, BV8, BC4, A8

• 08-17-2009 8:02 AM In reply to

I'm choosing to look at BeoSound 5 as a product that is evolving, growing, and improving. What I'm particularly happy about is that B&O has incorporated an ethernet connection for software updates over the internet. Ah....if only we had this with Beosystem 1, Beosystem 3, Beovision 7, Beovision 8, etc, to be able to quickly and easily add items to the PUC! Hopefully, this will be a new direction for updates by B&O.

Sadly, I've heard that B&O chose NOT to add an ethernet port (for cost reasons) to the blu-ray add-on kit for the BV7 (although there IS an ethernet port for newer BV7s that come with blu-ray already included). This lack of an ethernet connection for blu-ray will be a disaster for B&O. When it comes to blu-ray, frequent updates are essential for the ever-changing DRM keys.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)